currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an

forest glen,(inspired by grizz)

trail was beautiful, weather was 60's and green was a bloomin everywhere! hike was strenous for a beginner, probably for experienced would rate moderate to strenous? 11 miles restricted camping at 3.5 and 7.5 miles.. staff was polite and helpful..really couldnt ask for much more to get you going.. some really great ravines and view of the Vermillion River
    Forest Glen Preserve in Vermillion county Illinois
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit

Natural wonders

Beautiful pics. Looks like a great hike. Thanks for sharing!
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    glad you liked it. Did you camp at either of the back-country sites? Only down-side is no potable water.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    No potable water! I filtered from the creek at the bottom of the second campsites. Am I going to die? Glad you had a good time. Its the best packing i have found close to Chicago. Nice weekend loop at a leasure hike or overnighter. Just have to get registered early or they sort of frown on it. Cant see why I have never seen anyone else spend the night when i was there.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    No potable water! I filtered from the creek at the bottom of the second campsites. Am I going to die? Glad you had a good time. Its the best packing i have found close to Chicago. Nice weekend loop at a leasure hike or overnighter. Just have to get registered early or they sort of frown on it. Cant see why I have never seen anyone else spend the night when i was there.
    Hi Oms! I am lucky to be just a 45 minute drive from the place.
    On the water, yes there are streams through there and one just down from Group Camp...but all those fields around the Preserve...loaded with chemical fertilizer...runoff possibilities...no, I'll take my water from a well there, thank you!
    Grizz

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Hi grizz sorry for the delay, I did camp at the east camp. did the 7.5 first day and stayed up on the ridge.. first backpacking trip actually.. got my water from the stream down below the ridge, filtered with katadyn pro hiker, and boiled.. i seemed to be real thirsty lol once again thanks!
    just finished watching your primer series on suspension..

Hey, Grizz!

Was out there late last November (same day we got all those crazy darn tornadoes).

Wrote up a little ditty with some pictures from my time there:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/tri...cs/153349.html

Crazy as it is to say, it's my favorite place to hike if I can't get as far down to a place like Shawnee. It's actually nice to hike someplace where the trail isn't blatantly obvious 100% of the hike. Come the falling of the leaves, it takes some clever spotting to find those little red blazes.

Staff's super nice and made an effort to make sure me and my hiking buddy got to our campsite (even after hours), and the tent campground's really cool when no one's around - SO many trees to hang from, and the deer run right through it. Was a neat trip down there!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    gets even more challenging if you go counter-clockwise....harder still to see the red blazes because they are uni-directional! That and the trail covered with leaves...we wandered off a couple of times.

It's certainly my favorite place to hike in Illinois that is 45 minutes from my house

The main ranger there is a really nice guy. After our experience of taking the scenic route, one of my sons who was looking for a BSA Eagle project thought that perhaps re-marking the trail would be a good idea. So we talked to the ranger, who told us that was already on their to-do list, but he had some ideas about a project. Son ended up organizing an effort to build stairs up one of those steep bluffs. The FG folks supplied all the materials and tools, and even delivered them to the site. That was a relief because as he was making the suggestion to put in stairs _here_ I'm thinking "It's at least 2 miles from a road, and these scouts are going to be hauling in railroad ties????"

I like the photos on your blog. I need to get back over there soon while the getting is good.
    Grizz

Hammock
    hennessy expedition
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f.
    Insulation
    hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    thats on my short list to do this year thanks for the trip review.

Ha!

Yep. "Uni-directional" is about the best way to put it. Although I've got to admit, I liked the challenge of hiking it without tree cover and with leaves covering the beaten path.

You had me scared, Grizz - thought you were gonna say your son was the kid who put the blazes up...because there are times you don't need one (and have two ten feet from another) and times you could use them, and nary a one's to be found. Heck, I wouldn't mind it if they sent a hiker out there with some trail tape. Can of spraypaint. Bread crumbs. Anything, really.

Suffice it to say, I think your son did a lot of a folks a solid putting those steps in - those ravines can be a doozy.

And thanks for giving the trip report a read, dudes! Much appreciate it.
    Last edited by Eric Labanauskas; 05-18-2014 at 18:46.

• + New Posts