Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In my experiance, my legs and feet are very light as compaired to the rest of my body. Therefore that part of the body does not compress my quilt very much. ( less compression more warmth) But I do have a small sit pad of wally world foam that I insert into the foot end of my quilt if the need arises. This little pad is easy to carry in my Gossimer G4 Pack as it is fitted into the front side of the pack between the sholder straps that makes the backpack support. Something like this
    I have never had an issue on that end in cold temps if I have the sit pad slid into my quilt. I like the idea of multi-purpose items--Sit pad, back pack support, and foot lower leg comfort in cold temps.
    If you think a cold lower body it could be an issue in your situation, a full underquilt would be the answer.
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    Clark nx-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ
    Suspension
    strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    In my experiance, my legs and feet are very light as compaired to the rest of my body. Therefore that part of the body does not compress my quilt very much. ( less compression more warmth) But I do have a small sit pad of wally world foam that I insert into the foot end of my quilt if the need arises. This little pad is easy to carry in my Gossimer G4 Pack as it is fitted into the front side of the pack between the sholder straps that makes the backpack support. Something like this
    I have never had an issue on that end in cold temps if I have the sit pad slid into my quilt. I like the idea of multi-purpose items--Sit pad, back pack support, and foot lower leg comfort in cold temps.
    If you think a cold lower body it could be an issue in your situation, a full underquilt would be the answer.
    Thanks, that's really helpful. How low have you been able to take this system? And if you have the underquilt can you use the pockets on the hammock still?

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have never been out below 35, but its all been good for me at least to that point of OA temps in my other N.A. Clark. I havent yet been out yet in anything below 35 either sence I got the NX250 upgrade, but the design is close to the same anyways.
    Just about any quilt will still allow the pockets to be used. Those little tie out loops that you see on the outside of the hammock that are used for ground staking in case of no trees are good anchor points also for the underquilt attachment ( 2 on each side).
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Q

On compression.
    For calves: not so much a problem. For heels? Very serious heat flow because the pressure is enough to reduce insulative value of down, or to move it aside; and out of the feet flows the heat.

I hope to settle on two layers of stiff-enough wool socks. (I've got one fairly dense fairly fluffy set for this purpose.) They breath, don't compress -- that's the "stiff enough" part--they insulate, and they wick away moisture.

I agree on the pad-shift. I've spent too much time trimming, and tailoring a cheap blue foam pad which still shifts within the footbox. From reports elsewhere, evazote would be better. Should you think of going to a top quilt, go to leiglounderquilts.com for Hangnout's video of his system of integrating the pad securely in the TQ.

The point of this discussion that is Clark-specific: Who needs or wants the bulk of that large triangular pad that is part of the Z-line system?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234