Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyturf View Post
    next question, I've been looking at other threads on attaching the guylines to the tarp, what method do you guys recommend for easy adjustability and quick setup?
    AHE ( arrowhead equipment) has a double line set up that is fast and easy.
    HERE
    I have the single line which seems ok, but in hind sight, I probally would have been better off with the double. Nothing wrong with the single, but unless you keep it on the tarp and in a snakeskin, a single line tarp ridge will tangle easily. I do love the way I can slide my rainfly along the single line to center it on my Clark. But then again, I'll probally end up hating it if the prussick knots jam up and won't slide. Knock on hammock--so far so good.

I would go with a double line and a snakeskin to keep things simple. If your good with knots you could make your own prussick sliding knots rather than purchasing a setup.
    The only real advantage of the single line as compaired to a double, it really works well with very high winds and extra support for snow/ ice loads.
    Some guys n gals use whoopie slings on each end of the rain fly.
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I did some looking again at the forums--scratch out woopie slings for tarps, just too much tension to undo easy.

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I have gone heterodox and nasty here, but I don't understand the matter with it, because it works.

I use a single thin hi strength line -- could be Zing it, etc, but in keeping with the above, mine is 1.5mm Vectran. Instead of prussics it is threaded through the installed nylon fittings, wrapping each with one loop. I use a clip or biner for one end at the tree. Do what you like at the other to supply tension. I tie up with a pre-threaded knotbone and minimal use of its legs, so they don't break.

When the line is tensioned -- and like Zing It, it does not stretch in the slightest -- the rain fly can be moved / centered by twisting the nylon fitting a bit so that it will slide on the line. Once untwisted, it is as secure and tight as it would be with a prussic just by the tension across the supplied nylon fitting.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-15-2012 at 18:27.

Hammock
    Clark nx-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ
    Suspension
    strap and buckle
    Images
    Thanks for the ideas folks. I've ordered a single adjustable ridgeline, but I'm actually asking about the best attachment method for the side tie-outs.... guess my question wasn't as clear as I thought.

some have mentioned using shock cord to the stakes, others have prusik hookups for quick adjustability. I'm just learning some knots and am looking for the easiest connection methods for setup/adjustment in the field?

Thanks

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the ideas folks. I've ordered a single adjustable ridgeline, but I'm actually asking about the best attachment method for the side tie-outs.... guess my question wasn't as clear as I thought.

some have mentioned using shock cord to the stakes, others have prusik hookups for quick adjustability. I'm just learning some knots and am looking for the easiest connection methods for setup/adjustment in the field?

Thanks
    Go to hammock stores at the top of this forum and order a half dozen ( or as many as you want) of the mini line loks that will fit the size of your guide lines. info here They work pretty good and are very light. I just have a fixed loop on when end of my small cord and that loop I just pass it through the grommet of the rain fly and keep it in place with a small twig. That is my weak ( safety link) for the rain fly. Hopefully the small twig will snap before the rain fly tears in high winds.
    I use MSR mini stakes for ground attachment ( .35 oz each), but some hangers use titanium stakes, coat hangers (custom bent and twisted for straingth), sticks, rocks, etc to cut weight rather than packing stakes.

John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    For tarp corner tie-outs...I have 6-8 ft lines attached to each corner of the tarp. I loop the free end around a stake, bush, tree, or rock and then use a taut-line hitch to snug it up. I have thought about putting the taut-line at the upper end (tarp corners) but then I would have to tie off each time at the lower end. This has worked good for me for years.
    Interestingly, I was leafing thru an old Boy Scout Handbook published in 1959 - the same setup was recommended. That's likely where I got started using it - that's about the time I was heading out into the woods for the first times.
    I have never used nor seen the need for a shockcorded 'weak link'. Seems there is enough 'give' in the combination of tarp material, lines, loose stakes , etc, to keep the tarp from ripping in high winds. Maybe that is not as true now with some of the new materials being used.

Hammock
    Clark nx-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ
    Suspension
    strap and buckle
    Images
    so the nx-250 is hung up in the backyard, complete with fully adjustable guylines that can be set from under the tarp when it is raining... I love it

single pole porch even... yes I know its close to the house, but those are the only trees in my whole back yard.

So I'm going to test it out tonight, first real hang, I'll see how cold it gets and give it a test.

was going to attach a picture but its in the gallery instead... not sure why but when I tried to insert it here it didn't show up

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    so the nx-250 is hung up in the backyard, complete with fully adjustable guylines that can be set from under the tarp when it is raining... I love it

single pole porch even... yes I know its close to the house, but those are the only trees in my whole back yard.

So I'm going to test it out tonight, first real hang, I'll see how cold it gets and give it a test.

was going to attach a picture but its in the gallery instead... not sure why but when I tried to insert it here it didn't show up
    Very nice--I looked at your gallery pic-To complete the experiance, you only need to run a small line from your oil tank to a custom fuel oil based stove and cook a meal under the Hammock!!!!

John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    Clark nx-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ
    Suspension
    strap and buckle
    Images
    by the way, its all thanks to Hammock Forums... I didn't even know jungle hammocks existed before finding this place... you folks are a huge help.

My hammock, my setup and my pad design (yes, I have a pad, cause I can't afford an underquilt yet), are all based on tips from people here.

So Thank-you!

Guyturf

p.s. only one problem... now my son wants a hammock too!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Nice pic. Too bad only Clark owners are likely to see the nicely large Vertex rain fly. A good $20 upgrade.

I've posted before on tightness of hang. I'd urge you to try looser than Clark has fitted the bugnet for. "But it will droop in my face" Solution is a piece of low-force sewing elastic (or shock cord for manly men) tied between the sewn-in loops at the top of the hoods back to the respective ends of the hammock.

This is readily undone, costs pennies, and can be done with series of larks-headed rubber bands for trial.

You'll find that the hoop at the tail end is more for aesthetics --balance -- than function.

Ribbons work fine for zipper-pull extensions. Bright colors will help you find as many of the six as you want to.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast