NX-150 vs NX-250

So I ran the numbers... the difference between models with Z-liner, standard rain fly on the 150 and Vertex on the 250, equals a difference of 16oz. What does one gain for the added pound? I know the difference in specs. But at 5'10" >190 lbs. is it just subjective comfort? The price difference is only $80.

Is there a consensus on this that I've missed? I haven't found this specifically addressed on this forum.

Hammock
    WWM
    Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images
    I have both the 250 and 150. I bought the 150 for my son who is 15 and 5'8" and 135 lbs. but growing like a weed. He slept in if every night until I got another 250 for the wife which he quickly took over. He said he slept better in the 250 and felt like he could spread out however he wanted to get comfortable. I took a nap in his room one day in the 150 and it was snug but not uncomfortable for my 6'1" 200 lbs frame. If you don't squirm alot while you sleep the 150 should be fine, but if you're a mover and shaker you better stay with a 250. Consequently I can get more comfortable in my Grand Trunk UL that I hung up in my bedroom than I can in my 250 but not by much. But for hiking and camping I would never give up all the Clark features for a few lbs.

Bye the way, not to pimp here but the 150 may go up for sale if my daughter won't take to hammocking.

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've never spent a night in a 150. I'm 5'8" 180lbs. I bought my 250 here used. I have taken a nap in my sister-in-laws 150 and can say it does feel smaller inside. But probably not enough to matter to me. Was I comfortable? Sure. I could have either hammock. There is probably not a good answer to your question once dimensions are removed. The best way to pick might have to be trying both for yourself (not any easily accomplished task without going to a group hang)

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    I have both the 250 and 150. I bought the 150 for my son who is 15 and 5'8" and 135 lbs. but growing like a weed. He slept in if every night until I got another 250 for the wife which he quickly took over. He said he slept better in the 250 and felt like he could spread out however he wanted to get comfortable. I took a nap in his room one day in the 150 and it was snug but not uncomfortable for my 6'1" 200 lbs frame. If you don't squirm alot while you sleep the 150 should be fine, but if you're a mover and shaker you better stay with a 250. Consequently I can get more comfortable in my Grand Trunk UL that I hung up in my bedroom than I can in my 250 but not by much. But for hiking and camping I would never give up all the Clark features for a few lbs.
    I think that answers my question. Thank you. I'll probably look for a Camo NX-250 with a matching camo Z-liner and XL or Vertex rain fly.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by H27790 View Post
    So I ran the numbers... the difference between models with Z-liner, standard rain fly on the 150 and Vertex on the 250, equals a difference of 16oz. What does one gain for the added pound? I know the difference in specs. But at 5'10" >190 lbs. is it just subjective comfort? The price difference is only $80.
    If you want clarity in remarking on a 1lb weight difference, you must be clear about the components. 8oz of the weight difference is in 2 upgrades in tarp size (see below). 5 oz must come from the bigger body: 4" wider and a foot longer.

Almost no discussions here bundle the rain fly / tarp when comparing hammocks, even though a few makers / vendors give combined weights.

Yes the biggest tarp, the Vertex, weighs more than the 8oz more than the smallest. The Vertex (regretably, to some) is no longer tapered, as it was for 1-3 years. It is now a full 10' by 11'. No wonder it weighs 18oz (nominal). (The JRB 11 x 10 weighs the same.) So, it must weigh a bit more than it used to and more than the "Standard" tarp.

I have spent many nights in both size Clarks. Recently I relaxed the suspension a bit on one of the smaller ones, which loosens the feel at the shouders considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Yes the biggest tarp, the Vertex, weighs more than the 8oz more than the smallest. The Vertex (regretably, to some) is no longer tapered, as it was for 1-3 years. It is now a full 10' by 11'. No wonder it weighs 18oz (nominal).
    Why might I consider an older version of the Vertex or a XL instead?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Because you wish to carry less weight, and don't want the additional coverage. I fit one of the old short Clark rain flys over an NX-250.

Go to Arrowhead and look at the Shangri La, It retains what I take to be a once in-fashion but not anymore approach to shaving weight: putting coverage where you, the single occupant or your head are.

Shanri La

You see a little of that in the XL from Clark, but it is not severe.

In comparison, current fashion to weigh saving while claiming large size is the hexagon.

I'd bet Clark would make you a Vertex rain fly in the old style, but you wouldn't want to pay the price, which has been unaccountably higher than the rest of the market.

Im 6" 2' (191 cm) and have been a happy owner of a NX200 for 5 years with a lot of hangs.

Now I'm considering a NX-150. Will it be to short ? Actually I find the NX200 a bit to long, and don't really need the width. I know I can return the NX-150 if I find it to short, but would like an advice before I have it sent to Europe.

• + New Posts