Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch/Dynaglide
    You could always put a few dots of silicone on the bottom of your current pad so it doesn't slip until you can find a better solution.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislrob View Post
    ... And Timberrr, did you ever come up with more specific plans for your idea? And how do you waterproof?
    No real plans per se. I just sort of layed the hammock out on the floor and put the fabric on top of it to measure the fabric. It seemed pretty easy at the time.
    I have a gi-normus tarp (12x14) that I put two hammocks under when I want it open and breezy, and when it's colder or just super windy, the tent-top that came with the Chrysalis works fine with the Wundersling attached.
    Good luck.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    TW Camo Hornet Super XL
    Tarp
    "DIY" Frankentarp
    Insulation
    Exped DM 7 LW
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberrr View Post
    No real plans per se. I just sort of layed the hammock out on the floor and put the fabric on top of it to measure the fabric. It seemed pretty easy at the time.
    I have a gi-normus tarp (12x14) that I put two hammocks under when I want it open and breezy, and when it's colder or just super windy, the tent-top that came with the Chrysalis works fine with the Wundersling attached.
    Good luck.
    Hi Timberrr!

I'm in the progress of modding my Chrysalis, and one of the things I've noticed making a big improvement in comfort, is a longer RL. I saw in some pics on your W-Sling thread that you changed your RL, did you go longer or what did you do to it?

I'm having problems with the modded RL getting to close to my face when lying down, due to me stretching the hammock out so far. It's almost impossible to use a mosquitonet, and the hammock is way too easy to flip over, making it kind of a hazzle getting bags/pads/me/etc in there.

I want the hammock longer so I can get less sag, it's just more comfy for me.

If you (or anyone else of you genious people) have any measurements/thoughts on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks / Mix

Edit/Clarification: I'm not going to use the campersleeve, went with a DD XL-tarp and a homesewn giant mosquito net with sewn-in groundcloth. Gives a bit more wiggleroom regarding RL-lengths.
    Last edited by SwedeMix; 04-13-2012 at 04:31.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbinhood View Post
    I have one of the original models. I think you have to use a separate tarp if you are going to use an under quilt.

Otherwise, as somebody else suggested here, you might make a waterproof sock for your underquilt and attach the quilt inside the sock. If you think about the material that goes into making a sock, you might be just as far ahead with a tarp.
    Especially after reading that you tore your tarp, I am a little paranoid about the correct set up of this thing. The "tarp" or "tent" is very similar to the original HH over cover, but on steroids. The hammock webbing and apparently also the cam buckle goes through the opening in the end of the tent. It looks like the buckle is supposed to protrude through the tent opening "tent opening", at :52 into this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DaTc8kLa4I

But it seems nearly impossible to get the buckle all the way through the opening, so I guess it is not supposed to go all the way through? On my buckle, for some reason there is a bolt which sticks out from the side of the buckle maybe 1/2" or so, with a big spacer/washer holding it out from the buckle. This bolt is what the tent opening hangs up on.

But it all just seems a little odd to me. Is this bolt supposed to remain just inside the "tent" opening? When I am done it looks like in the video. But it just also looks like that could be asking for a tear under tension once you get inside. Am I doing this right?

And those permanently attached spreader bars can not be left behind, but are an absolute bummer when trying to pack up into the stuff sack it comes with. Is there a trick to this? I think I am going to see if I can un-bolt and remove them, though having to bolt them back on every time might prove a PITA also.

Still, despite the above, there is just something very attractive about this set up. I love laying in it with the tent sides Velcroed up and out of the way. Which leaves things wide open on the sides while still providing some pretty good rain coverage top side. The big downside of course is weight, but one of our cottage guys could make one just like this but 1/2 the weight. I think this tent would be pretty bomb proof in wind and rain. Except of course for the UQ, which would be totally exposed without a separate tarp. So without a tarp, I think a pad is called for.

I miss the pad pocket, but I tried a Ridgerest in it yesterday with pretty good results, and even better with an SPE.

Quote Originally Posted by chrislrob View Post
    I wonder the same thing about the Hot Spot, Billybob.

How *does* it stop the pad from slipping? I really don't need the insulation, so that doesn't concern me. And how small does it pack?
    I don't know how it will stop the slipping. Fortunately, I still have an ~ 4 oz Speer SPE, which has a non-slip mesh fabric on the bottom. Also great for 1 thin pad when not very cold, or stacking pads when colder- and you can also vary the amount and type of insulation in the side sleeves.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedeMix View Post
    I saw in some pics on your W-Sling thread that you changed your RL, did you go longer or what did you do to it?

I'm having problems with the modded RL getting to close to my face when lying down, due to me stretching the hammock out so far. It's almost impossible to use a mosquitonet, and the hammock is way too easy to flip over, making it kind of a hazzle getting bags/pads/me/etc in there.

I'm not going to use the campersleeve, went with a DD XL-tarp and a homesewn giant mosquito net with sewn-in groundcloth. Gives a bit more wiggleroom regarding RL-lengths.
    The first thing I did was take off the webbing ridgeline/suspension and the ridiculous 100 pound jam buckles they bolted to each end, and replace them with a carabiner at each end and a 1/8" braided nylon ridgeline with a tied loop at each end. I attach a whoopie sling to the 'biner and run it to a 'biner on the tree strap. easy-peasy...

The 1/8" RL is the exact same length as the webbing RL. I guess I'm okay with the length/sag. I do tend to set it too high and pull it too tight during set up and usually have to lower and loosen it as I remind myself that I do this every time. I can see how a longer RL would make the hammock even tighter (and therefore tippier) when you put in the crossbars. The Wundersling will help tremendously with the process of getting yourself situated in the hammock by taking the pad/UQ out.

I would be interested in seeing pics of your mosquito net solution. I'm toying with cutting panels out of the tent-top and sewing in netting. It's one of those DIY things on the gotta-get-to-that list.
    HangCon Sign Up:

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedeMix View Post
    Hi Timberrr!

I'm in the progress of modding my Chrysalis, and one of the things I've noticed making a big improvement in comfort, is a longer RL. I saw in some pics on your W-Sling thread that you changed your RL, did you go longer or what did you do to it?

If you (or anyone else of you genious people) have any measurements/thoughts on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks / Mix

Edit/Clarification: I'm not going to use the campersleeve, went with a DD XL-tarp and a homesewn giant mosquito net with sewn-in groundcloth. Gives a bit more wiggleroom regarding RL-lengths.
    Well, that is interesting, a longer RL for more comfort. I felt this was not quite as comfortable on my side as my JRB. And maybe the RL is not allowing enough length? ( but, lengthening the RL might tear the top cover?) Yesterday my daughter got in it and said it was great on her back but she was not comfy on her side, so I guess my impression is correct. Though I can be comfy on my side, at least going fetal, she is a noob and I think she could get comfy with more practice finding a sweet spot. Keep in mind this judgement is on the hammock stand which flexes and is impossible to keep full tension on the RL. Still, I find the JRB more comfy for side sleeping even on the stand, except the Chrysalis is better for fetal and plenty comfortable then.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    And those permanently attached spreader bars can not be left behind, but are an absolute bummer when trying to pack up into the stuff sack it comes with. Is there a trick to this? I think I am going to see if I can un-bolt and remove them, though having to bolt them back on every time might prove a PITA also.

I miss the pad pocket...
    Here's how I pack up. It seems to do fine with the original stuff sack.
    1. I separate the two halves of each spreader bar and tuck the ends into the little orange pouch.
    2. This step is important. I then tuck the ends of the bars down into the hammock (toward the ground - perpendicular to the RL).
    3. Disconnect one end-carabiner from the whoopie (that leads to the tree).
    4. Grasp the two parts of the spreader through the fabric of the hammock and fold that loose hammock end toward the center.
    5. Roll the fabric up around the bars until you reach the other bar. Roll it in too.
    6. Disconnect the other end-carabiner and finish rolling nice and tight.
    With just a bit of practice it should make a package that slides into the stuff sack.
    Yeah... unbolting the spreader bars and remembering which goes where would be a definite PITA to me too.

The Wundersling acts like a pad pocket. Mostly.
    Good luck.
    HangCon Sign Up:

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    But it all just seems a little odd to me. Is this bolt supposed to remain just inside the "tent" opening? When I am done it looks like in the video. But it just also looks like that could be asking for a tear under tension once you get inside. Am I doing this right?

According to this, the bolt is indeed holding the tent on the suspension.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post

When I replaced the jam buckle and webbing with a carabiner and 1/8" line the carabiner just sits inside the tent-top. The little cone-shaped end caps keep everything dry inside while 'looking finished' outside.
    HangCon Sign Up:

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberrr View Post
    Here's how I pack up. It seems to do fine with the original stuff sack.
    1. I separate the two halves of each spreader bar and tuck the ends into the little orange pouch.
    2. This step is important. I then tuck the ends of the bars down into the hammock (toward the ground - perpendicular to the RL).
    3. Disconnect one end-carabiner from the whoopie (that leads to the tree).
    4. Grasp the two parts of the spreader through the fabric of the hammock and fold that loose hammock end toward the center.
    5. Roll the fabric up around the bars until you reach the other bar. Roll it in too.
    6. Disconnect the other end-carabiner and finish rolling nice and tight.
    With just a bit of practice it should make a package that slides into the stuff sack.
    Yeah... unbolting the spreader bars and remembering which goes where would be a definite PITA to me too.

The Wundersling acts like a pad pocket. Mostly.
    Good luck.
    Thanks, Timberrr, I'll go try that right now! I figured there was a right way to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post

Great! Where did you find that pic, that is the sort of thing I have been searching for! And that is another thing I forgot to ask: What the heck is that webbing loop for?"!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast