Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Best lightweight nonet (dbl layer)?

I have both an HH and a WBBB, and I am looking to lighten my load to accommodate a smaller pack. I have not yet popped for an UQ, so I think I need to stick with a double-layer. I live in AZ now, so don't need a bugnet. I'm 6'4" & 235lbs, so shoulder width could be an issue.

The two contenders seem to be a Claytor Nonet (1 lb) and a WB Traveler 1.1 dbl (19/23 oz). Does anyone know if the Claytor specs include the suspension? I know Brandon is always very exact and conservative on weights.

The differentiators seem to be the RL on the Traveler, and it seems to be slightly wider. The RL isn't important to me, the key is comfort and low weight & volume in the pack.

I'd appreciate any facts about the Nonet weight and relative comfort of the two, or if there are any other contenders out there I should be considering. I'd like to eventually lower my baseweight even more by going with one of the single-layer hammocks (ENO?), but from what I can tell so far there doesn't seem to be a huge weight savings there either.

Thanks!
    --Kurt

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    HG cuban
    Insulation
    Baby Orca UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I like the ENO double nest. It's Specifications:

Weight 22 oz.
    Material(s) Nylon
    400lb Capacity
    Folded dimensions (Dia x L) 4" x 5"
    Unfolded dimensions (L x W) 6' 8" x 9' 4"
    ...and only $50-$60

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    ENO's and other 'hook-and-attached-bag' hammocks like it are nice and readily available, but they're mostly a mass-produced item and have limited features out of the bag. Buying from one of the cottage manufacturers gets you something a little more well-thought-out. And the prices are not far apart.

There's more bulk savings by switching from a pad to an UQ than going to a netless hammock. And, doing that first would let you go to a netless single layer next instead of a double.

That being said, double layer netless hammocks can be very nice.

I don't know if the Claytor includes suspension in the weight spec. But, I think you'll find that the ridgeline on the Traveler is quite a welcome addition. Having that set amount of sag really makes your hangs more consistent.

Another option might be a double from Dream-Hammock. Adding a second layer is part of the build-to-order options.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    If comfort and lack of shoulder squeeze are high priorities as well as weight, you may want to consider a longer hammock. You can save weight by going to a single layer in a 1.7 or 1.9 oz/sy fabric. Further weight savings can be had by using shorter tree straps. Combined with Whoopie slings.

At 200# and 6'-1", I'm sold on 11' hammocks. There are more options for those of late than there used to be.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    I have both an HH and a WBBB, and I am looking to lighten my load to accommodate a smaller pack. I have not yet popped for an UQ, so I think I need to stick with a double-layer. I live in AZ now, so don't need a bugnet. I'm 6'4" & 235lbs, so shoulder width could be an issue.

The two contenders seem to be a Claytor Nonet (1 lb) and a WB Traveler 1.1 dbl (19/23 oz). Does anyone know if the Claytor specs include the suspension? I know Brandon is always very exact and conservative on weights.

The differentiators seem to be the RL on the Traveler, and it seems to be slightly wider. The RL isn't important to me, the key is comfort and low weight & volume in the pack.

I'd appreciate any facts about the Nonet weight and relative comfort of the two, or if there are any other contenders out there I should be considering. I'd like to eventually lower my baseweight even more by going with one of the single-layer hammocks (ENO?), but from what I can tell so far there doesn't seem to be a huge weight savings there either.

Thanks!
    --Kurt
    My 10 ft long Claytor No Net has always been one of my favorite(most comfortable) hammocks. It is narrow, but I can't see that has been a problem for me, though some others have complained about that aspect I believe. I can see where it has been a benefit with no big walls blocking my views and best of all, no walls to interfere (not much at least) with max function of my Speer Pea Pod. It is for me the best hammock to use with the SPP. Also, lack of width for me seems to = lack of shoulder squeeze ( very little fabric to the side/above shoulders to do the squeezing ). I am 6'1" 215 lb.

But, if memory serves, it was heavier than advertised ( with stock suspension and sack) at 23 oz. And I just weighed mine, with the suspension changed on one end to cinch buckle Harbor Freight webbing but stock on the other, and it was ~ 25 oz ( not counting sack and biners). So not the lightest no net out there. Still, it ends up going on a lot of trips with me.

I also have an 11 ft WL Lite Owl dbl layer, which I think weighs ~ 18 oz in the sack with WS suspension. I have not yet been able to determine for sure that it is any more comfortable than the Claytor, but I have not been able to spend enough time in it yet to know for sure. It is however, very comfortable, and it saves ~ 7 oz. But it does not work quite as well with my pod, due to it's longer length and higher walls. But if I am not using the pod, this hammock may end up replacing the Claytor when I want a dbl layer No Net( saves me 7 oz! ).

Hope that helps.

There is But In A Sling hammocks, and Wilderness Logics that make some light hammocks as well.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Now that BillyBob has opened Pandoras's box on hammock width, I'll add my nearly worthless theory. That is that width doesn't have as much to do with comfort as length. Caution: this is only a theory. This summer, it is my intension to build a few hammocks of the same material, but vary the width and length in an effort to support or kill this theory.

However, if it is true, not only can weight be saved by reducing the width 6" while adding 6" to the length (that works out to be less material) but the resulting hammock will be more comfortable.

Hopefully, someone else has already experimented with this in their backyard laboratory and can chime in.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    At 200# and 6'-1", I'm sold on 11' hammocks. There are more options for those of late than there used to be.
    Who makes 11' hammocks?

--Kurt

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner/Darien UL
    Tarp
    Spinntek Mamajamba
    Insulation
    TQ LeighLo/WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCRs
    Wilderness Logics makes 11' hammocks - I'm currently using a Lite Owl Double Layer and like most who use them I find it very comfy. (I'm only 5'10" and 180 so YMMV.)
    Life is short and then it's forever..

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Who makes 11' hammocks?