Fabrics for a DIY UQP

So I've figured I'm a super cold sleeper. Last night, whilst in the Hammock, on a cold english night, I resorted to ripping apart a survival bag and rigging it up to my hammock to stop the windchill, which had me sleepless the previous night.

To tackle this bloomin' problem I'm going to build a PeaPod-style *thing* to surround me and my hammock. It will just consist of some windproof breathable fabric, and some cord/elastic at the ends and along top as a ridgeline. I could add some insulation also. I'll call this a BeanPod till I can think of a better name, and to give credit for Jeff's Pea

My question is: Which fabric do you think would be good for my BeanPod? I think I know which one I'd prefer, so I'll put that one first

These are both in the Lightweight/windproof/breathable section:

http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/fabr...4-and-pertex-4

http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/fabr...ght-polycotton

I've also seen this one, but not too sure if it's OK.

http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/ps17...ated-polyester

This is the insulation I could use...

http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/fabr...p20-thinsulate

I may get round to drawing a sketch of what I envisage.. But it may be a few days before I can get to a scanner ^^

48 views but no one knows! Bums. I'll go for the Pennine/pentax stuff ^^

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    I didn't search your entire list, but I have made a few UQPs out of 1.1 ripstop ACU with good success. They stop the wind and add about 10F to your insulation. They were fairly easy to make, they took about 1 hour each, but they were just the UQP, not a pod style system. Maybe one of the guys I made one for can chime in and tell you how they like it, as I am biased by my own material.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Maybe this thread can help with some ideas.

Fronkey

HAMMOCK SOCK that's what it's called! I'll be trawling the forum for that then Cheers guys

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I made something similar using an unknown superlightweight fabric. It was primarily something to attach my top entry bugnet to and a support for the under insulation. The idea came mostly from the 'garlington taco'. The prototype worked great this last season in Florida down to the low to mid 20* F. Will be working on a final( is there such a thing?) version during this off season utilizing down and noseeum vs poly batting and tulle netting. Most hangers don't need bugnetting during the winter but here in Florida you can be freezing in the morning and hot humid and buggy in the evening.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Will be working on a final version( is there such a thing?)
    Never

I bought some ripstop nylon, which I am assured is breathable/windproof. Not waterproof though- no worries. Also finally got my hands on some proper amsteel from mat @ ukhammocks.

I can't wait to have a play this week ready for the bushcraftuk meet this weekend

I'll take pics of my progress making the uc/sock/pod/thing and post 'em in the diy whatsit ^^

• + New Posts