WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR

Overlaping tarps??

I've been trying to search the forums for info on hanging two hammocks side-by-side under ovrlaping tarps, but am not really finding very much. My wife and I will be trying to hang a Claytor JH and a Skeeter Beeter pro under overlapping tarps. The SBpro hasn't arrived yet, so I haven't played with it, but my main question is, what do you attach the guy lines to on the inside sides?? (don't know if that makes much sense...) Any input or links would be greatly appreciated. ~Bryan
    Last edited by miisterwright; 08-11-2008 at 13:37. Reason: typo

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    If this were something I was planning to do often, I'd make a built to the purpose tarp that would accommodate two hammocks attached to the same tree at the head end. I'm sure it would be heavier than a regular tarp, but perhaps less so than two tarps.

I've seen a photo of two hammocks attached to the same tree with a branch 'spreader bar' to keep the two hammockers from being too close. I'm sure with a little experimentation, you'll come up with something. Post photos when you do!
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Upon further thought, you might consider pitching the smaller tarp first, but put both sides staked out on the 'away' side (away from the second hammock) and then pitch the larger, second tarp over the first tarp's ridgeline. Most likely not perfect, but would probably keep you dry in all but the most violent rain & wind.

Hopefully you'll soon hear from someone with more experience that will have a better idea.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    In my gallery is a few pics of overlapping tarps. The pic is a little askew but the actual hang had my hammock (left) hung a little higher than my wife's. My tarp then ran onto hers and off the other side when it rained the next morning.

Hope this helps.
    ------- AKA "4D's" ----------------
    "Oh yeah, to keep it on topic. I sewed on my hammock today"

"A night above ground makes the next days ride even more enjoyable"

"As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." -- Jon BonJovi

Happy Wife = Happy Life" -- author unknown

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It can be done but it takes some thought & attention to detail.
    Here's a picture of where we used two tarps, each serving as one half of the shelter, w/ the edge of one tarp overlapping the other on the ridge line.

I've done this several times when camping w/ one or two friends who don't get together that often & wanted to spend more time being able to talk from the comfort of our hammocks.

The tarps were set up to shed rain, but there was no wind involved. I was aware of the fact that if wind picked up i would need covers to add to the end, using an extra tarp, rain jackets, umbrellas, etc. There would have been more risk involved had it been other times, but it was during a time of drought & it wasn't that cold.
    It's great hanging under a large canopy w/ friends but it's not w/o it's limitations.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have overlapped tarps when my daughters and I camped and wanted to sleep closer together.

I've learned that overlapping tarps can make a lot of noise whapping into each other when it gets very windy. Just fyi.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    I think fundamentally you tie the 1st tarp on one side of the two trees and the 2nd tarp on the other side of the two trees such that you get an overlap. Use the tie outs along the edges where they overlap to keep things pretty secure for moderate wind. There is a good bit to mess with that way.

Another option is to use a tarp that is large enough to provide rain protection all by itself. They are easier to set up and don't have that overlap issue to deal with. Here are a couple of photos I took at Pather Creek Falls in NE Georgia a couple of weeks ago using a large tarp to cover two hammocks hung from the same two trees using struts, or spreader bars, made from 1/2 inch by 1 inch oak. We had rain for a few hours during the night and it handled it fine. Now it wasn't the hard wind driven stuff, I think you want to select more protected areas rather than exposed sites.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have been working on the couples hang for a while now and have found a pretty good way to hang the two hammock beside each other. Using the spreader bars keeps the hammocks apart but when one hammock is empty it rises up into the air. I have been using rope to pull one hammock apart from the other. On my hammock which is a clark nx 200 I attach rope to the carabiners at each end of the hammock and leave more sag in the hammock then i would want and i tie those ropes off to either one other tree in the middle or one tree at each end.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    I have been working on the couples hang for a while now and have found a pretty good way to hang the two hammock beside each other. Using the spreader bars keeps the hammocks apart but when one hammock is empty it rises up into the air. I have been using rope to pull one hammock apart from the other. On my hammock which is a clark nx 200 I attach rope to the carabiners at each end of the hammock and leave more sag in the hammock then i would want and i tie those ropes off to either one other tree in the middle or one tree at each end.
    Tom,

With the struts, you definitely know you are not alone. You feel each others movements and as you point out, you are playing a balancing act for the middle ground. It has its tradeoffs.

I haven't tried the rope pullout technique but suspect it has its tradeoffs as well. I would be curious about the safety factor of trying to get in a top-loading hammock that had a side pullout on the suspension. When I have done similar things in the past with a solo hammock with side pullouts on the fabric, I was worried about safely getting into the hammock. Have you seen an issue with that?
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Here's a couple of shots of Ed and Karen Speer's setup at Hot springs using overlapping tarps:

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast