Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    Big Belly reserves
    Suspension
    Straps

NOR*CAL hangers (415-707ers')

Hey hey guys and gals,
    I remember when I signed up here on the HF, there where folks from Marin. Normaly when I go camping we head north to the redwoods,( Standish Hickey or Ritchardson grove in Humbolt). But we are looking towards Marin for our next outing. Is there good camping spots you would recommend in Marin? We hike Lagunitas yearly and I'd love to camp there but don't think its allowed. So where do you guys recommed?
    Thanks from Santa Rosa
    Bart

Hammock
    ENO Single
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    Big Belly reserves
    Suspension
    Straps
    a nudge to the top

Not Marin, but you might think about Austin Creek above Amstrong Woods (Guerneville). Great time of year for it, but pay attention to the tick levels in that grassland/chapparal. Pretty easy ramble out beyond Manning Flat and plenty of trees too. This time of year the creeks are still running so water is no problem at all and you won't get drowned crossin' 'em. Plus you can wander through the really tall grass (the redwoods for the unitiated - redwoods are more like the grasses than they are like the more modern trees) on the way back in. The Parson Jones is 309' tall back in the grove. Very nice piece of wood indeed.

I think the whole area is slated for closure though so you'd best contact State Parks to get the skinny on access.

Another good spot is Pomo just across the Russian below Jenner. South side of the river, look for the signs. First left after you cross the Russian river bridge going south, go out a couple of miles. Decent enough road. On your right. Nice campgrounds, eco semi-primitive, but decent enough water most years. A good ramble out to Shell beach (just a few miles over the hill). It's a pretty nice spot, sheltered from the wind as it is east of the ridge and so forth. Mosquitos will of course eat you in another month though.

Most of Marin is over-used in my view, so Sonoma-Mendocino is my preferance.

HYOH.

Ben

I used to work around Marin Co. and except for Samuel Taylor and Point Reyes; it's all pretty much "Neighborhood Watch". Everyone jealously guards their property and its' exclusivity. It's been 5 years or so but I can't imagine it getting more relaxed.

+1 on Benwaller's post.

Hammock
    ENO Single
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    Big Belly reserves
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks Ben! Great write up.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Well if you want Marin, I suggest Point Reyes at Sky Camp. Specifically sites 5 or 6. I've stayed at #5. liked it better than all the other sites. Best trees there. You can set up several good hikes around the area. There is water, toilets and grills there. No wood burning outside of the grills. You can park your car and walk in on an easy trail off of Limantour road or park at Bear Valley visitor center and up an over a small mountain. This route will take about 1-2 hours depending on your speed. I'll try to dig up some pics of the area.

Link to reservation:

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Po...date=4/30/2012

They fill up fast so book in advance.

Here is a pic of Camp 6 looking towards camp 5:

S
    Last edited by Sidewinder; 04-21-2012 at 12:35. Reason: Added links and pictures

• + New Posts