Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    RidgeRest Pad

Looking for some advice/options for a warm sleeper

My main hammock use will be late spring, summer, early fall. I sleep warm. I slept in my hammock twice last fall when the temps got into the mid-50's. I used a Ridgerest pad and light fleece blanket under me with my old coleman bag on top. both times i ended up kicking the bag off because i was sweating and the pad ended up with sweat pooling in the contours.

I am mulling a couple possibilities:

1. IX underquilt, maybe only 2 layers
    2. summerweight down underquilt
    3. maybe a single layer of ripstop with bungies to hold the pad underneath the hammock.
    4. maybe a fleece blanket with bungies (not sure if this would be warm enough)
    5. a synthetic bag underneath me with no pad or underquilt.
    6. Big Agnes bag with a pad in the sleeve

#5 seems the most appealing to me. it is simple and would be cost effective, if it is warm i could open the bag to cool down. I was thinking something in the 20-30 degree range. I also like #6 but i am not sure if condensation on the pad is an issue with the BA bags.

Any insight regarding these ideas is appreciated.

Thanks
    Joe

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    This may seem like an odd question...

...have you tried sleeping in the conditions you've described with NO under-insulation?

I know it's heresy...but I typically sleep in a synthetic bag WITHOUT any kind of under insulation once the night time temps get up to around 45-50 degrees.

During the summer when night time temps stay in the 60s-70s, I usually use a fleece blanket/sleeping bag liner and/or a woobie (poncho liner). No under insulation at all.

If you sleep that warm...you may not have as much of an issue with CBS as other folks do. For whatever reason, I've not had much issue...and that's why I've not had an issue with the HHSS working fine for me down to about 20F.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Oh...and love the forum/trail name. One of my gaming handles is Adamanteus...as in Crotalus Adamanteus. I've actually had a few folks recognize it.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    RidgeRest Pad
    Thanks. That's how I came up with the name - back in the old days playing Ultima Online and then Asheron's Call. Used Adamanteus for some secondary characters.

I might try without any insulation. I have to test out my tarp anyway will have to check the weather for this weekend.

I'm a warm sleeper and on my trip last weekend to Wilson Creek I just had one of the blue waffle pads from Wal Mart (26"). Can't find the link on the site right now, but it's not quite a closed cell pad but rather has a waffle cut ridge look.

I was sleeping in my WBBB 1.1 double.

Friday and Saturday were around 45 degrees. On Friday I slept in some wool socks to keep my feet warm, poly REI cargo pants, and 2 poly tops (long and short sleeve) with a smartwool cap. I felt just fine that evening.

Saturday night I slept without the long sleeve poly shirt. I woke during the night because the outside of my shoulders were a little chilled. I wear a 52 sport coat, so even the 26" pad doesn't give me full coverage. Outside of those spots though I could have probably slept in shorts instead of pants but keeping the wool socks and smartwool cap.

I believe I would have slept just fine had I put some pad extensions on the top of the pad.

YMMV, but hopefully that can give you some additional insight or a least a data point.

• + New Posts