Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I got a great deal on a HH and some very frustrating first attempts at making it work. All the usual stuff, butt plants in the ground by morning. That kind of thing. I was pleased to see I was not the only one.

Oh yeah... I have been bit but good.

Same with me! It's "encouraging" to know others have gone through same learning curve.

I've really enjoyed this site and the great people on it. I have to admit the best thing I've done is attend the MAHHA hang and then, gosh darn, went again. This 3rd one coming up will make me a true veteran!

Have learned a lot and also made some good friends along the way by means of forum and hangs. Thanks everyone! (ooooohhhhhhh feel the luv. )

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    I agree, and am surprised I was added to your list, since I have so much to learn.

The friendly and helpful people here DID manage something I would never have believed, but they actually got me sewing! My wife is clearly amused.

I visit a few forums, and this one indeed does have the most friendly and helpful people you could wish for. Even when people disagree, it's done with manners and civility.

Congrats to the mods and to us all for making it so.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    I agree, and am surprised I was added to your list, since I have so much to learn.

The friendly and helpful people here DID manage something I would never have believed, but they actually got me sewing! My wife is clearly amused.

I visit a few forums, and this one indeed does have the most friendly and helpful people you could wish for. Even when people disagree, it's done with manners and civility.

Congrats to the mods and to us all for making it so.

Don't sell yourself short - you've added to a lot of threads, and I've enjoyed a lot of your comments and quips. I think we all have much to learn, no matter how much we know.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Sorry I've been pretty slack for a while (what do you mean what's new about that).
    But it's a pleasure to be part of this fine group.
    And a big thanks to Angrysparrow & Headchange4U... BIG help!

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    now thats funny.a buddy of mine that has thru hiked the AT twice told me that a mouse ran across his face in a trail shelter and it peed in his eyeneo
    Neo, I hope I didn't wake anyone up w/ the laugh that busted out when I read your post
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    There is no possible way this site could save you money! It just gives you more ideas for projects to work on, and ways to spend your money more efficiently, which just makes you spend more. I guess you can save by avoiding mistakes by learning from other peoples misfortunes.
    Yeah, yeah yeah...in hindsight your right, it won't save money! Nor will it save time or lower stress and frustration levels. Since joing this site, I have developed the ability,and obsession, to sew. I now understand what a bobbin is and how to roll hem something. My wife is even asking me to hem her new scrubs for work. I go to the fabric aisle first at Walmart now instead of the sporting goods section. I have even sunk to a new low this weekend: I have sewing machine envy.

Overall, I would say this is a dang good site!!!!

Now, Hobby Lobby has some fabric on sale. I have important matters to tend to, such as silnylon and learning to blind hem something.

(Disclaimer: for those reading this, please make sure to note any and all unnecessary sarcasim and tounge-in-cheekness found in this text)

Again, thanks to all that have helped on this site!!!!
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I too have learned a great deal from this site and its many members. I have also made some great friends and hope to make more in the near future. THANKS TO ALL.
    Chris

Hammock
    DIY HH
    Tarp
    black cat
    Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    I now understand what a bobbin is and how to roll hem something.
    A bobbin to think a month and a half ago I had no idea what it was let alone how to thread one.....or that you even needed it to sew.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    Yeah, yeah yeah...in hindsight your right, it won't save money! Nor will it save time or lower stress and frustration levels. Since joing this site, I have developed the ability,and obsession, to sew. I now understand what a bobbin is and how to roll hem something. My wife is even asking me to hem her new scrubs for work. I go to the fabric aisle first at Walmart now instead of the sporting goods section. I have even sunk to a new low this weekend: I have sewing machine envy.

Overall, I would say this is a dang good site!!!!

Now, Hobby Lobby has some fabric on sale. I have important matters to tend to, such as silnylon and learning to blind hem something.

(Disclaimer: for those reading this, please make sure to note any and all unnecessary sarcasim and tounge-in-cheekness found in this text)

Again, thanks to all that have helped on this site!!!!
    Just remenber, we make gear, we dont sew.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Just remenber, we make gear, we dont sew.
    LOL! I love it! It's kinda like my sewing machine isn't a sewing machine...it's just my machine!

FishinFinn, I wanted to share one of my favorite posts of yours, DIY flurry:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4446

Do you have anymore tests on that tenttube thing?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    LOL! I love it! It's kinda like my sewing machine isn't a sewing machine...it's just my machine!

FishinFinn, I wanted to share one of my favorite posts of yours, DIY flurry:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4446

Do you have anymore tests on that tenttube thing?
    Tests! I haven't had time to spit. Not to mention who wants to sleep in a closed off sil tube in the summer? I'm too hot as it is!

Grizz and I were supposed to go on a float trip this weekend, and I had it packed with me to show off, but the weather man chased us off - dire warnings of lightning/thunderstorms, and we didn't want to subject the kids to dangerous conditions. I wasn't too keen on it either, and I don't think Grizz liked the idea of being in the middle of a river in a thunderstorm with his progeny. Highest point and all. Oh well, I'll drag him and the brood out on the river one of these days. I know he's game.

I'm still looking for the ideal tubing to create the "tube" effect - I have a small sample of some semi-rigid black tubing that supposedly came from a semi-truck air brake line, that seems like it would work. Problem is, I can't find a supplier as I can't 100% verify that this is what the tubing is because the guy who gave me the tubing "thinks" that it came from an air line. I may end up going with Fibraflex carbon poles - just trying to avoid the pole thing if I can. At least tubing is multi-use.

I really like the idea that Grizz had about replacing the end/head section/panel with untreated ripstop for breathability. I can see where in colder temps, even with my internal panel to seperate the head end from the body of the "tube sock", condensation would be considerably less with a panel of breathable fabric (even though in my testing, I had none.) I could also cinch the opening tighter to keep more warm air in. But the thought of testing in the upper 60's and lower 70's with 85-95% humidity doesn't appeal to me. A project for fall. I need to do some more work on the "no-sew" UQ as well, but again, hard to think about stuff like that in this heat.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123