Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie here, tell me what is wrong with my set up

Hey guys, I just got my ENO single and have got a suspension system all set up for it. I tested it out and didn't notice any problems. I tried to do everything as cheap as I could, while making everything as light as possible.

Here is my tree strap. It is a 300 lb rated working load ratchet strap with the hook cut off. Its breaking point is 800 lbs.

Here is the attachment point like you would use with whoopie slings. That is a piece of aluminum tubing roughly 50% bigger than an arrow.

Here is the hammock attached to everything.

So will I end up busting my *** one night or does this set up look like it should hold up fine? I am about 180 lbs BTW.

Thanks

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies
    Looks fine to me. Just make sure the hammock loop rests on the knot on the marlin spike.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Can't see the pics (im at work and they block a lot) but from the sounds of things, you might be pushing the straps a bit. Plan for wear and tear, and when it tears, you hit the dirt. Remember, the whoopie sling rope goes on the knot, not the toggle.

When you apply weight to the hammock it pulls more than your actual weight against the rope/straps/toggle/gathered ends.
    There's an equation and chart somewhere around here that someone posted a while back, someone put some time and effort into it and got the point across.

I'll take another look when I get home, but if anyone else can see the pics please speak up..

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Quote Originally Posted by Shnick View Post
    Can't see the pics (im at work and they block a lot) but from the sounds of things, you might be pushing the straps a bit. Plan for wear and tear, and when it tears, you hit the dirt. Remember, the whoopie sling rope goes on the knot, not the toggle.

When you apply weight to the hammock it pulls more than your actual weight against the rope/straps/toggle/gathered ends.
    There's an equation and chart somewhere around here that someone posted a while back, someone put some time and effort into it and got the point across.

I'll take another look when I get home, but if anyone else can see the pics please speak up..

Shnick
    Thanks. I didn't know it would apply more than my actual weight. I think I will just tie a bowline on the end to loop through instead of the pre sewn loop. The loop looks to be the weak spot as of right now.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    you may have problems with that larger diamater rope on the hammock. the whoopie slings are a small diameter 1/8" or 7/64" (i think) and they will ride right down into the knot on your tree strap. if that is the stock cordage that came with the eno hammock it may be too large to ride down into the knot, if it doesn't ride down into the knot it will slide over it and come to rest on the marlin spike causing it to bend and drop the hammock.

this is only a guess though, it may be ok the way it is but i would test it before you rely on it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks like it will work......I hope))))
    Keep the hammock line on the strap knot and not on the toggle and you should fare well.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Looks like it will work......I hope))))
    Keep the hammock line on the strap knot and not on the toggle and you should fare well.
    Shug
    What a coincidence I'm on video 6 out of 10 on your youtube page!

Great videos

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyshack11 View Post
    What a coincidence I'm on video 6 out of 10 on your youtube page!

Great videos
    Are you 'bout sick of me?????
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnick View Post

Shnick
    +1 with Schnick

The common theme for strap capacity is usually well over 1000 lbs regardless of your body weight from what I have seen here. Overkill beats a bruised posterior! If that strapping is nylon, chances are you'll find yourself at a lower altitude than when you hooked up the night before too. Nylon is known to stretch under a constant load. Polyester webbing has little to no stretch and is really pretty affordable. Check out DIYgearsupply.com or one of the other cottage guys here.You can buy it by the foot and the price isn't bad.

Push that loop farther back on the knot too!

As far as I can tell it is polyester.
    Would it be a better idea for me to use 550 cord in place of the stock cord on each end of the hammock?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast