Thread: D rings

D rings

any body got a source for weight bearing d rings in the 1.5 inch size,????
    my idea is as follows, tree straps with a pair of d rings on one end and a sewn loop on the other . you run the d rings through the sewn loops so the webbing cinches the tree and use a guarda hitch for attaching my hh ,
    I'm sure this has been done before somebody has to have a source for stout d rings.??/
    thanks in advance

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You could just use a biner through one loop & then onto the strap, cinch down. Or you could try some Dutchware.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I know this isn't what you're asking about, but I'd advise you to do some research before using the guarda hitch. If you look at Grizz's videos he recommends not using it for lines under 4mm due to line pinch. Also, I was reading a book on cave rescue rigging and the author stated that the load on a gaurda hitch should not exceed 100kg, and that's with 11mm line. This might not be an issue for you but it is for me.
    An alternate idea, if you're interested, is putting two rings on the end of your line and using the webbing for a cinch buckle.
    Just my $0.02, hate to see something fail and you end up with a sore butt.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I think you'd be better off using SMC descender rings. They are climbing rated and the shape is better suited for cinching. It always seems that D rings eventually rotate.

An issue you may have with your idea is adjustability. Once you cinch your webbing, the only way to shorten it is to add extra wraps around the tree. Its only an issue with trees that are close together but you might find it limiting down the road not to mention a hassle when you need to adjust the webbing up and down the tree during set up. Also, as mouseskovitz mentioned, the garda hitch may cause problems with the line.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hey mouse, that's not normal casual reading. U a caver?

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by activeshooter View Post
    Hey mouse, that's not normal casual reading. U a caver?
    Not a caver. A saw in a different forum that "Life on a Line" is a good source of information on knots, their strength and best application. If you do some searching it can be found in pdf on the web, section 1 has the knot stuff.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Thank you, Mouskewitz. Sometime in the year before you arrived here a hammocker described his ER admission, injuries, and necessary time off from work and support of his family from a fall ....."from just 18", from failure of a supporting line or tree strap, IIRC.

This stuff happens, and does not have to. I don't know if among the causes is a terrifically high level of shoddy industrial goods out there from sources and price competition, or just an increased awareness of metalurgical failure. There are (a few) riders who can put out over 1200 watts, and they do NOT break $15 bicycle chains, which are a series of hundreds of tiny rivets and thin metal plates, any one of which could fail. But, it seems impossible to trust welds of 1/8" steel links from some commercial suppliers when the raw steel has a tensile strength of 000s of pounds.

And garda hitches seem not to be the only rope / ring interfaces that are damaging. Some are using improperly engineered or incompletely finished metal fittings bearing directly on structural line. Amsteel Blue does not have a protective cover, people, the fuzziness of which might warn you that the structural bone will be compromised before long.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-16-2012 at 12:20.

• + New Posts