Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    I recently bought a Warbonnet BB, but started out in the Byer Moskito. I still love that hammock. I had no problem getting that Brazilian feel with the ridgeline installed. The only reason I wanted to upgrade from the Moskito is that I want a second layer for a pad pocket. I'm thinking of doing a mod on it because the Moskito is very lightweight.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    The stretching on the Byers Moskito calms down after a few uses, make sure its real tight the first couple of times in the back yard while you "break" it in.

On a second issue the netting is very easy to get holes in it.

Thumbs up

Hi all,

I read all the reviews before I bought this hammock (including all the forum posts I could find) and I still purchased based on price.

I'm in the Caribbean, 10* N Lat, so its hot, humid and occasionally rainy with windy nights.

Trip 1: 3 nights with custom tyvek tarp.
    Hammock hung at 6' (I'm F/5'2"/160) with Byer micro ropes, Wenzel closed foam pad and poncho liner as sleeping bag/blanket. Butt 2'+ maybe 3'+ above ground. Slept diagonally and tried to not touch netting for fear of mosquito bites. First ever hammock hang, I *did* put drip lines but other campers removed them to use as a clothes line, I am still fuming even after a year has passed. The first night I was worried about not falling and not getting wet. For the other 2 nights I quarrelled and made sure my drip lines were in place. I slept much better as the camp went along when I was sure that the hammock was going to hold me, that the trees won't break, and mostly because I was so tired at the end of the day.

Trip 2: 3 nights with 10x12' poly camo tarp. 6' Hang, butt 2'+ above ground.
    Hung a net hammock (to hold my HS 90L bag off the ground) under the byer moskito hammock on the same micro ropes. This added about 40lbs of weight (overseas trip so lots more to pack) for the micro ropes to support. Was worried about falling, but then I *loved* the 90L bag under the moskito that felt like a comfy mattress so I didn't need to sleep diagonal to be comfortable. The High Sierra backpack on the net/fish hammock was taking most of my weight relieving the byer hammock.

Trip 3: 4 nights using 10x12' poly camo tarp. 6' Hang with a 2" tree on one side that I had to tie off to 2 others for fear of breaking, extra paracord came in handy, butt 2'+ above ground. Lots of tangling of ropes. Coldest ever I've experienced in T&T, 12*C (I've been to Canada/NY/Miami several times but only in the summer).

Best sleep: With secondary hammock with a flat stuffed bag underneath that felt like an actual bed.

All trips I was the only one in a hammock, everyone else had ground tents.

I've had no ripping, tearing or anything close. I have not noticed any big stretch/sag during nights because I end up still pretty far away from the ground (my feet don't touch the ground when I am sitting up in the hammock). Never used a ridgeline for the hammock, only the micro ropes although trees were varying ranges apart - I just adjusted the micro ropes. The tarp and the bug netting always had their own ridgeline though.

Based on price and functionality it is a great hammock to start with and to modify yourself.

Next step: Silnylon tarp, DIY spreader bars and or tieouts to keep hammock diagonal and net off hands/legs.

Will totally recommend, at least for short people like me.

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    I slept in this for the first time this weekend. It's my first hammock. The end cords came with a plastic snakeskin. I left them on and will slide them up when in use. I think that has helped with tangling. For me the only issues were finding a way to keep the bugnet off me and keeping the ccf pad in place to keep warm. I found that a pillow pushed toward the end of the hammock (above the head, of course) spreads the hammock enough. Alternatively, sleeping with head more toward center of hammock gets me lower and farther away from the net.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    I set up the GG 12' diagonal tarp in a diamond shape. I did not use the net, and I'm thinking the tarp line when set low may interfere with the net line.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    [QUOTE=toddhunter;694288 end cords came with a plastic snakeskin. /QUOTE]

what a good idea... would it be possible to post a pic of said "plastic" snakeskins?

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    [QUOTE=sandykayak;700892]
    Quote Originally Posted by toddhunter;694288 end cords came with a plastic snakeskin. /QUOTE

what a good idea... would it be possible to post a pic of said "plastic" snakeskins?
    I'll get a better shot, but you can see a little bit in these where the plastic (like a long baggie) is extended some in one pic and pushed back in the other.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Slept in 39 degree temps last night. Used a poncho for the underlayer and stuffed it with my down parka. Worked great. I was cold, but I slept. I'm sure I could have kept warmer with a hat and a second layer of clothes. I'm going to let things warm up and use the underlayer with my ccf pads. The hammock itself is comfortable, though it takes some adjusting to keep the bug net off my face/head. I didn't need it last night, but i'm practicing. Very happy so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by toddhunter; 04-13-2012 at 12:46.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    The cord for the net is completely tangled and useless. Just about any decent cord can be used instead.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234