Attended:
    WW8Ball Rocky Mount NC
    4WLO Raleigh NC
    Gunner76 & Wife Otway NC
    Silverpalm2X Winston Salem NC
    recce906 and wife and Mini recce906 Nash County NC

Photbucket link.....

http://s1050.photobucket.com/albums/...0April%202012/

First, a big Woo Buddy to WW8Ball for putting this hang together.

First time I have been to Medoc Mt State Park. Have been told by many people it is great State park and they were not wrong.

Got off work early Friday and picked up wife and we took off and it took us 3 1/2 hour to get there even with a stop at Gardners BBQ. Some of the best pulled pork BBQ I have eaten.

Got to the group site parking area about 6:30pm and found a bunch of scouts unloading trailers of gear. Walked over to Group Site 1 and found WW8Ball and 4WLO already there and set up. WW8Ball had a hand cart which we borrowed to haul all our junk to the site.

Found a good site to set up wife's and my hammock and then we mostly sat around the fire swapping lies talking about our great (or in my case not so great) thread injector skills. 4WLO had a phone app that would tell us where certain stars and planets are.

Not sure what time we finally to to bed. While it got cold it only got down to 35 with little to no wind and a clear ski. Had my BB 1.7 and used a Arrowhead 3 season Jarbridge UQ and and a Enlightened Equipment Revelation X TQ. Wife used her old Mt Lion Sleeping bag as a TQ and her new Hammock Gear 20 degree UQ. Tosty

Woke up and it was about 44 degrees. We fixed breakfast then started scouting sites for more hammocks and looking for fire wood.

That morning we invented a new piece of hammock gear, introducing Worm Casings. Well actually WW8Ball showed us a protected cover he had placed over his tarp ridge line to protect it for where wrapped around a treed. 4WLO decided he wanted to mod his ridge line so we did some field R&D on how to make it work and after a grueling 15 minutes the R&D was done and 4WLO had Worm Casings on his ridge lines. Now we have to get Dutch to make a Ti version.

My wife decided to go take a mid morning nap and I went for a hike on the 3 mile Buff Loop Trail. Very nice hike with a variety of ups and downs and overlooks of the creek running thru the park. Came across some fishermen who admitted they were not catching anything.

When I got back Silverpalm and recce906 and crew here there. We showed them some spots to set up.

Took a shower and the water was hot and felt good. It had warmed up enough Saturday that I changed into shorts. There was challenging game of bean bag toss and the non players made up the peanut gallery. After that we set up some extra hammocks to show off and recce906 had one of the new Walmart hammocks. Seemed to be on the heavy side and the material appeared to be a water proof type material. I did not get into the hammock so I can not report on how it feels to lay in it. Wife saw me looking at it and told me I do not need any more hammocks.

Found two ticks on me. First of many.

Dinner was a massive affair with a variety of food being cooked from steak to pasta to Hawk Vittles to chicken out of a can and sharing of this and that. If anyone went hungry it was their own fault.

Went to the bath house to brush my teeth and found the Scouts doing tick checks under the lights. One Scout started yelling I got one I got one like he had won the lottery.

When I got back to the camp site others were finding ticks. The nice small ones.

After dinner we stoked up the fire and swapped some more lies and stories. Lots of bad puns were told. Once the fire was just right the smores started flowing.

Finally went to bed and it was warm enough Saturday night that I was kicking the TQ off of me. Felt something crawling on me and I found 2 ticks.

Sunday AM got up at 7am and started breaking down my hammock rig while the wife slept. Found some more ticks. WW8ball said he found a couple on him during the night.

Fixed breakfast (sausage links and patties and scrambled eggs) and then broke down camp. Talked to WW8Ball about doing the hang again and he said he would try and set something up for this fall. Told him about the Grayson Fall Hang and to make sure it did not interfere with that date.

One the drive home I found 2 more ticks one me and a wife found a couple. We did a complete head to toe tick check on each other and still fond more ticks before taking a shower. Hopefully we found them all.

Other than the ticks it was a great hang.

I will be posting photos one I have a chance to go thru them.

Group Photo...WW8balls Friday night dinner....My BB set up
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 04-16-2012 at 20:08.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Sounds like a great time...other than the ticks that is. I hope to make the next one if the stars will align for me in the fall.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

"ticks"

Keep check for rashes friend of my has rocky mt spotted fever, 8 to ten days rash and fever starts to show. oh he lives in Durham but hunts and trains his dogs all over our state.
    Glad you all had fun with fire lies...., stories

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Sorry to miss the hang.

I was at Merchants Millpond, a place famous for its vicious ticks ... and we did not find a single one. Guess they must all have migrated to Medoc Mountain.

Hope to make a fall hang if you schedule it.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I was at Merchants Millpond
    We dicussed this Satuday night and decided to forgive you for camping with the bear fortune cookie crowd
    Last edited by gunner76; 04-16-2012 at 20:05.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Primaloft PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Straps
    Images
    As Gunner previously stated, the ticks were out in force as soon as it warmed up, but aside from that, it was a great time hanging, meeting fellow hangers and enjoying the beauty of nature with like minded individuals.

Oh, and also being there for Mrs. Gunners' first ever smore.

Look forward to doing it again soon.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I id the ticks as Lone Star Ticks. Wish they would go back to Texas and for a state that brags how bigs things are there, they sure have some small ticks

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Looks like a good trip. Sorry I had to miss it. Maybe I'll catch y'all on another one.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL "BD"
    Insulation
    Bags/AH
    Suspension
    Hugger,Ring,& Loop
    I had a great time. I'm glad I could come out and meet other members of this forum. Our trip were was filled with eating good food, looking at hammocks, talking about hammocks, eating more good food, sitting in hammocks and then ending our days with more good food, telling stories around the fire, oh...and then sleeping in hammocks.

I learned a few things, saw some cool gear, made some mods to my gear and made some new friends.

This was an awesome first group hang for me. I hope there will be many more to come.

Here are a few pics from the hang.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A long habit of not thinking a thing WRONG, gives it the superficial appearance of being RIGHT,...
    -Thomas Paine

Hammock
    8ball Edition DAO Recon
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Holofil / PL
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps
    Images
    Had a great first group hang experience! Thanks everyone who came. I know I had a great time and think everyone else did as well, unless they were hiding something else behind their smiles.
    Def gotta do it again next spring, maybe a late fall early winter Cold-Butt hang as well….
    Glad I got to meet you all, only problem is that some of the gear I saw in person is going to make me open the wallet, get ready for an order Dutch and Jack….
    Thanks again everyone…
    BTW: My official tick count was 6…..
    HEY NORTHFACE and PATAGONIA, Fat people camp too...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast