Thread: My first setup

My first setup

I would like to thank every on here for running such a helpful and informative site. I havent been very vocal but I have been taking notes.

Well here is my first hammock setup. I have always in the past, been a ground dweller using tent, tarp or debris, however the ground was awful hard this past winter. I'm either getting older or the ground is getting denser! I went on the cheap side until I find out if I can sleep in a hammock. It did make spending my REI dividends eiasier this time. I went with the ENO Double Nest.

I felt creative and made my own 10' whoopie slings, from 1/8 amsteel blue, with locked Brummels. I went with the Guardian bugnet, very heavy and appears fairly bullet proof but very unwieldy (think I feel some mods coming on with this net!). This net certainly cut back the air flow!! I did not like the external ridge line and decided to support it with a structural ridge line (a piece of 550 for now) and it gives me a place to hang my light. When I dont need the net,I found that I can slide the guardian up onto one of the whoopie slings (kind of like a snake skin) and shuve it in it sack.

When I take the hammock down, I tighten up the whoopies, wrap the the net around the hammock till it looks like a rope, take the whole setup down and stuff it into one of my old sleeping bag sack.

My stepson lounging in the hammock, he is much more photogenic than me!!

Just ordered my 6' tree straps from Arrow Head, hopefully I will receive them by mid week. I have a REI 10x10 tarp I will use with it untio I figure out what I am doing.

I still have to get the droop right to get a flat lay. It is getting better though. Might try to get a night in it this upcoming weekend.

Thanks again all.

Brian

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Nothing compares to sleeping in a hammock. It really is the best way to camp. Glad you finally joined the rest of us

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Nice setup. You should post up something if you decide to modify your guardian bug net. I need some good ideas for mine, because I also find it a little unwieldy.
    with two m's, like "hammock."

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Some nice work there! The best part is simply getting out there and enjoying a day 'above ground'!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Nicely done. As is batted about here so much, adjusting your structural ridgeline at 85% of the length of the sling below it +_5 in small increments will not only help you find where you are comfortable; it will help you get back there again exactly, to see if your impression remains the same.

I wrote "...of the length of the sling", because you may wish to connect it to the suspension rope some distance from the hammock.(Some do in order to get the ridgeline a greater distance from their faces, for example.) If you do, include that additional length as part of the length of the sling.

• + New Posts