DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    There's an entirely different application of clinching rings, which brings different seriousness to their quality: A pair of them to make a sling (or whatever it is called) in which to carry infants and babies.

(Edit: "Slingrings was easy enough to find)

The folks that market these--yes, another niche cottage industry -- go to a lot of trouble and expense to be sure the rings met quality and testing standards. (Just as with SMC descender rings.) No wonder, juries being sympathetic to babies and likely not too easy on easy-going, HYOH, parents and mfgs.

When I ran across these a year ago, the sizes or weight ratings were far below those of interest here. Babies aren't that fat......... yet. But the expected multiple of safe to tested BS strength of 11-15 was there.
    I've used sling rings for years on several hammocks. They work great, are light, and come in colors!

They ship fast too!
    Zach Rohe Photography https://zachrohe.com

Thanks everyone. It's appreciated. I have to move onto carabiners now. I'll eventually end up settling on a setup. I have to figure out what series of trade-offs yield a combination of durability, speed of set-up/tear-down, and ease of adjustability/reconfiguration without spending more than I have to.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I have SMC's and have seen the others. SMC usually wins on price. All are stamped as a washer and rolled smooth round for rope work. No welds or bumps. I have not seen welded rings in climbing gear. Horse gear is another story. ;-)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    +1 to avoiding the Garda Hitch. It will pinch and damage rope under 4mm and has a suggested load limit of 220lb (100kg).
    I agree on avoiding it. After doing a little more research I see that it fell out of favor a while ago, and for those reasons. Thanks.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Slingrings--testing as it should be done

Last week I dropped a note to the maker of Slingrings, asking what they were destructively tested to, on a sampling basis.

Here is the fantastic reply I just got, (after an apology for a delay.)

'scuse me. THIS is responsible service, not just to me as an (unlikely) potential customer, but to the customers he designs and gets the rings made for.

Thank you for your interest in our products. We were gone to the ASTM [American Society for the Testing of Materials] subcommittee meetings for baby carriers.

As you have noticed, our rings are marketed (and insured) specifically for baby carriers. For this usage we have determined that they need to be guaranteed to a maximum of 60 pounds. We test them to 250 pounds, giving a 4x safety factor. We do have some customers who purchase rings and use them for other purposes.

Periodically we have the rings tested at an outside facility. The large rings begin to deform around 350 pounds and break at 500 pounds. The medium rings break closer to 750 pounds and the small rings higher still, at around a thousand pounds. We have not tested a large enough sample to give a statistically significant or reliable answer. That's why we don't publish these results.

We have been asked to work on smaller (aluminum) rings for some additional applications. These rings could potentially be even stronger. They are 1.75 inch inner diameter.

If you have additional questions, please let me know, or you can call Paul, (owner and technical director) at 602-284-4158 to discuss your specific application.

Designed-in security is more valuable, imnsho, than replacement of products that have failed because they may not have been designed, made, and QC-inspected thoroughly before delivery.

Paul did not detail the engineering testing protocol, which is for me to find out about.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-19-2012 at 14:47. Reason: URL added

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for posting that. Here's some documentation I found on the SMC rings: http://www.rocknrescue.com/acatalog/...endingRing.pdf

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    camo claytor
    Images

I made the ones I use my self from solid aircraft alum. pipe. Will hold over 250lbs. and were FREE!!
    Last edited by Simple Survival; 04-19-2012 at 15:08.

Images
    i've had the sling rings fail on me twice.
    i use the SMC (large) rings with 12' of webbing. rings are 4+ years old. webbing i replace when i see damage (damage never from rings)
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Simple Survival, it appears you are using a Garda Hitch with your rings. If you haven't already I recommend you consider using a different system for your rigging. The reasons are three fold in your case. First is that it is not recommend for lines under 4mm due to line pinch and flattening. Second is that it is not recommended for loads over 220lb, which may or may not be a factor for you. Third is that your rings appear to be more squared off than most which could accentuate the first reason.

If anyone is interested in a more in depth discussion of the issue going on here.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i've had the sling rings fail on me twice.
    i use the SMC (large) rings with 12' of webbing. rings are 4+ years old. webbing i replace when i see damage (damage never from rings)
    I don't find the first statement immediately informative, especially when if follows a clear statement by the maker of what the expected use is, and then an approximation of load to bending and breaking failure for each of three sizes of ring.

I would doubt -- without seeing the ASTM testing protocol -- that Slingrings is paying for testing under fatigue conditions. How aluminum of particular kinds behaves is well known, and inferences are made from a single type of test, say with short term bending load, of how the rings will perfom under other conditions. IIRC, the heaviest ring is just 1/4" / 6mm thick.

Did slingrings fail to perform within their design parameters, or did you use them in such way as to confirm that they performed as might be predicted under the load and conditions?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast