Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra66it View Post
    lazy river road, I live in North East Anne Arundel County... not far from the Key Bridge on IS 695. I'd love to hook up and "hang" out and jaw about gear! I'll PM you and see when we could get together
    Sounds great Ill be looking forward to it.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra66it View Post
    My son and I are new to Hammock camping. As an entry into this world I purchased two Texsport Hobo Hammocks for us and found during the initial test of the hammock in the back yard the suspension supplied with the hammocks is both bulky and weak (stretched considerably with only my 70lb son in it).

http://www.basspro.com/Texsport-Hobo...10216114/45313

To "fix" this poor design I considered whipping the ends of the hammocks (that have a sewn channel) and attaching my newly completed whoopie slings using a larks head at the whipping.

Then I decided to splice a continuous loop through the sewn channel and attaching the whoopie to those with a larks head. I guess my question is... has anyone done this before, or considered this? If so how did it work out for you?

Thanks, Rob.
    Rob:

I have a Hobo hammock and you're right on: The cord is bad.... You offer good fixes... whoopies through the channels, replacing the cord with continuous loops, whatever. Both of your ideas have been tried and both work. Depends on what you're going for. Amsteel through the channels can create a lot of tension on a small area, true. But then again, you're talking about a $20 hammock. No hammock will last forever. For what you've got in it, so what if it wears out a little soon?

Look at some of the better hammocks out there. By the time you replace parts on a heavy, $20 hammock, you might find you could upgrade into something with a better feel (and much better suspension) for not much more.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrianb View Post
    Rob:

I have a Hobo hammock and you're right on: The cord is bad.... You offer good fixes... whoopies through the channels, replacing the cord with continuous loops, whatever. Both of your ideas have been tried and both work. Depends on what you're going for. Amsteel through the channels can create a lot of tension on a small area, true. But then again, you're talking about a $20 hammock. No hammock will last forever. For what you've got in it, so what if it wears out a little soon?

Look at some of the better hammocks out there. By the time you replace parts on a heavy, $20 hammock, you might find you could upgrade into something with a better feel (and much better suspension) for not much more.
    Great point about the cost. That is my plan to eventually/ gradually upgrade all of the gear I have. I'll just keep an eye on the ends for wear until then. I was really looking at short term, i REALLY don't want to hit the ground if it can be avoided by not using bad judgement on the rigging.

Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Splicing directly through the channel will work, but it makes it more permanent. I love the continuous loop, but I feed it through the channel and pull it through itself to tie a Lark's Head knot.

You can see this in my illustration on re-threading a gathered-end hammock.
    A big +1 on this, makes it work well and so easy to change.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    down bag & CCF pad
    Suspension
    MSH and Whoopies
    Just wanted to say thanks everybody this was the thread that finally got me to understand what the continuous loop was used for, and thus where I can attach a structural ridge-line (to the the continuous loop after the lark's head; same where a whoopie sling would connect )

ENO DN stock in the backyard but working on getting it upgraded and better for hiking. Probably will go this route now that i Understand it