DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH

Second Set Up Discoveries-clip on rain fly question

I am so not ready to take this hammock out into public without embarrassment! Returned from a three week non-camping trip and hung my HH Expedition Asym for the second time in my woods and discovered that I had forgotten most of what I had learned during the 1st time set up. I also discovered that it is difficult to center, level and hang a hammock when your cat climbs the tree and attacks the tree straps and rope, and that taunt line hitches on guy lines are very difficult to tie with cat help. But once the cat left and my husband quit distracting me with his laughter, I managed to get it hung in about 30 min. Since the asym rain fly seems to require precision positioning, I’m sure that I will get wet a few times before I perfect it or buy a bigger tarp. I have a question about a clip that I discovered today on the pull-outs points of the fly. Is this supposed to be clipped over the hammock pull-out side guy lines to keep the fly and hammock close together? (Ignore the extra line that I have looped there.) Also, I don’t have a ridge line and attach the fly directly to the hammock tie ropes. Is it worth it to use one with a fly this small or does hooking it directly to the hammock tie ropes keep the fly closer to hammock when you are inside?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Since the asym rain fly seems to require precision positioning, I’m sure that I will get wet a few times before I perfect it or buy a bigger tarp.
    If you hook the tarp directly to the stock suspension, the hooks should slide to where you need them (If I remember correctly), which is great for centering the tarp. Get it as centered as possible and fairly tight, because it can sag a little when you get in, and you should be fine. I won't say that I've never gotten wet with the stock tarp but I will say that when I have, it's been at the sides, not the top or bottom, and was due to my being lazy when I set up or not anticipating the weather.

I have a question about a clip that I discovered today on the pull-outs points of the fly. Is this supposed to be clipped over the hammock pull-out side guy lines to keep the fly and hammock close together? (Ignore the extra line that I have looped there.)
    That is exactly how I use them. Seems to work. Although I do that when I'm tying the tarp to the same stake (or other object) as the hammock tie-outs. If you're worried about weather, it might make sense to stake the tarp a little closer, although that still might not preclude using the hooks.

Also, I don’t have a ridge line and attach the fly directly to the hammock tie ropes. Is it worth it to use one with a fly this small or does hooking it directly to the hammock tie ropes keep the fly closer to hammock when you are inside?
    I find it hard to get the tarp to stay tight when it's attached to the hammock suspension, so I like to use a separate ridge line even with the stock tarp. However, if you're worried about foul weather, you still might benefit from keeping the tarp as close as possible to the hammock. I'm usually more worried about airflow combined with light rain. I have thought about adding some prusik loops back into my new suspension to pitch the tarp closer in windy, wet weather.

As for your set up time. It will come. For me, changing the suspension made a big difference. I still toy with getting it level and centered, but having woopie slings means that a lot of that adjustment can happen without retying any knots, which makes it much faster.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Thanks. The whoopie slings look like they would speed things up considerably. For now, I guess it is practice, practice, practice.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Definitive vids on HH set up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwzZTeAE3yc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTj...feature=relmfu

Using rings is so much quicker than the Hennessy lash.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    @Rob3E -- When using a second ridge for your tarp, what do you use? It is necessary to use something like zing-it as you would with a SRL, or would it be acceptable to use paracord?
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    @Rob3E -- When using a second ridge for your tarp, what do you use? It is necessary to use something like zing-it as you would with a SRL, or would it be acceptable to use paracord?
    I'm no expert on cords. Zing it seems to have a reputation for being plenty strong, so that's what I use. That said, I imagine it's overkill most of the time and for most of the situations I would find myself in. Depending on the kind of camping you're doing, I say use what you have, and if that doesn't work, upgrade. Of course, that doesn't work when you're hiking in the middle of nowhere.

I suspect there are plenty of threads it the General forum or the Suspension forum that deal with the various qualities of different cords. Without having used it, my concern about paracord would be the elasticity. I don't really know if this is a factor, given that there is very little weight on the cord, but I feel like when I get a zing-it line relatively tight, it's not going to stretch.

I have a question about a clip that I discovered today on the pull-outs points of the fly. Is this supposed to be clipped over the hammock pull-out side guy lines to keep the fly and hammock close together?
    If you take a look at Tom Hennessy demonstrating his setup, (link here on Youtube) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfNIr4kvRO0
    he attaches the hammock tie outs directly to that hook. He ties some kind of loop in the shock cord assymetrical tie out and clips that right on that tarp clip. When you get in the hammock and it pulls down, then that will also pull the tarp sides down as well. Be careful what you tie there since some knots are very hard to untie in shock cord. I used a standard slip knot so that when I took it out, I could just pull the knot out (found out the hard way about shock cord knots). I tried this and it works well. Be careful that you don't get too aggressive and stretch the shock cord too much. One time when I did this, the glove hook on the tarp was deformed enough where the hook was bent and the loop came out. It was designed well enough that this did not break the glove hook nor cause any permanent damage and I was able to use it with a little less pull on the shock cord. The only disadvantage to this method is if you want to look out at the scenery since the tarp pulling down tends to block your view. Good if it looks like rain though.

Also, I don’t have a ridge line and attach the fly directly to the hammock tie ropes. Is it worth it to use one with a fly this small or does hooking it directly to the hammock tie ropes keep the fly closer to hammock when you are inside?
    I have some Zing It headed my way with a dutch hook on one end and tarp flyze on the other so that I can separate my tarp from the hammock. I opted for the small tarp since I will be spending some time in the jungle and a large fly may not be able to be deployed in all areas. I should be able to get this close to the same level I believe. Especially if I have my hammock tie outs a little off center of the tree (at least that is my plan right now). I will still have to test this out and others may be able to relay whether this will work or not. My reasoning for a separate tarp tie out is in case it rains, I don't want a wet tarp wrapped up in snakeskins with my hammock.

Good luck on your third attempt and maybe you can train your cat to assist.

ez

• + New Posts