WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

Sipsey Wilderness 6/1-6/3

Headed south for business and I'm taking my pack...

I decided to take a day or two prior to a conference I'm headed to and hit Sipsey Wilderness for at least one night if not the whole weekend.

I'm looking for suggestions on hiking locations. I'm looking for something easy as I'll have to leave quite early my last morning to make it to the conference.

I'm leaning towards the Thompson Creek Trail as it appears to have water access and is rated as an easy hike (of which I may only end up doing .5-1 mile anyways depending on time frames, etc.).

Any suggestions?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Have fun! Don't know the area personally but looking at the topo maps it's all deep woods stuff... My kinda woods!

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    If you're just going to hike a half mile or a mile, you should probably start at the Sipsey Rec Area and hike trail 209 up the river. Or perhaps start at Borden Trailhead, and hike down stream.

Thompson is nice, but it's not as scenic until you reach the river. It's about 2-2.5miles along that creek before it intersects with the river. You'll get a better feel for the overall terrain in Sipsey in such a short walk along with the other two mentioned above. And they're just as easy a walk.

If you decide to hike further, there may be some routes we could recommend.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I should include that I'm coming from 65 so it is actually taking me quite a bit out of the way to hit Thompson Creek.

TR203 may be a bit closer?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    If you're just going to hike a half mile or a mile, you should probably start at the Sipsey Rec Area and hike trail 209 up the river. Or perhaps start at Borden Trailhead, and hike down stream.

Thompson is nice, but it's not as scenic until you reach the river. It's about 2-2.5miles along that creek before it intersects with the river. You'll get a better feel for the overall terrain in Sipsey in such a short walk along with the other two mentioned above. And they're just as easy a walk.

If you decide to hike further, there may be some routes we could recommend.
    Thanks for the input. Borden - TR203 does look to be a bit closer to US65 as well.

If I end up doing the whole thing it still appears to be only 4.8 miles out and back which for a leisurely day if I end up staying the whole weekend may just be up my alley.
    Last edited by Tendertoe; 04-16-2012 at 16:20.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Thanks for the input. Borden - TR203 does look to be a bit closer to US65 as well.

If I end up doing the whole thing it still appears to be only 4.8 miles out and back which for a leisurely day if I end up staying the whole weekend may just be up my alley.
    It is closer to 65, it is east of Thompson as is 65. ( "it" being trail 200 from the Sipsey Rec area parking lot off of CR 6/60, which quickly branches off at 209, with 200 going all the way north to Borden bridge)

I'm with Angrysparrow. Probably your best bet for getting to the good stuff fast and easy is that "Sipsey Rec Area and hike trail 209 up the river.". Assuming Borden Creek is not too high for a lone hiker to cross safely. But as short as your hike might need to be, even if the creeks are high, you can get in some fine camping coming from Sipsey Rec Area and hike trail 209 up to Borden Creek, and not even crossing. Just camp near the junction, or head up Borden creek a short distance and there are plenty of good camping spots.

There is one "small" creek crossing before Borden, but these small creeks can really rise if the rain is pouring. If not raining for a while they may be nearly dry.

If you decide to park at Borden Bridge, it is only a very short distance further ( drive ) than the Sipsey Recreation parking area, but the hike down to the Borden/Sipsey river junction mentioned above is a little further ( 1.9 mi vs 0.4). But even that hike itself is scenic. The main trail from Borden to Sipsey - have to go though a short cave called "Fat Man's Squeeze" is on the east side of Borden Creek. But if every 0.1 mile counts, I think the less developed trail on the west side of Borden is a little shorter to the Borden creek/Sipsey river junction. And if you come down this less developed trail and then decide to hike further west on 209, and if it has been raining a lot, you won't have to cross Borden creek, though you will have to get across smaller creeks.

One more tip: which ever way you come( from Sipsey rec area or Borden bridge), once you get to to the Borden/Sipsey junction, if you have any extra time, it is only about 1/2 mile further west on 209 to the junction of Fall Creek/Sipsey River. Fall Creek comes into the Sipsey over a cliff, and if it has been raining hard, this forms a really spectacular water fall. You can find hammock camping either inside a small canyon immediately east of the falls, or climb the ridge between this canyon and the falls ( a ridge a stone throw from Fall Creek) to find a wide flat area with good hang spots.

Have fun!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-16-2012 at 21:41.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch / whoopies
    I had a great hike at Thompson Creek trailhead with some friends back in February. We actually hiked up the 208 North West horse trail about a mile and half or so and turned back west towards Thompson Creek. It's maybe a little less than a mile downhill to the creek. This is a cool place to camp but it's pretty off the main trails. There is also a ton of wild hog sign all along the creek where we camped. You can follow the creek south straight back to the trail head or walk back out the way you came in. I probably would not do this hike alone. I would hate to get hurt in there without anyone knowing where I was. We left on a Saturday and when we got back to the trailhead there was probably forty cars parked all along the road. It was apparently pretty crowded but we didn't see anybody where we were at. I have not got to explore any of the other trails yet. Hope you have a great trip.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Don't do too much wandering around if you're not familiar with Sipsey. Especially off-trail. You will get lost in a hurry. There is a great map out there of the place, but I forget what it is called. I have it but can't email it due to it's large size. Ask around, someone has it. It's not a USGS. It's full color and has every trail and waterfall labeled. Best map I've ever seen of the place.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The map you're talking about is here. It has _some_ of the waterfalls listed, but not nearly all.

There's actually a trading depot just on the north side of the forest on Hwy 33 (Wren) that has large detailed waterproof CartoCraft maps. Those are better navigation guides.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Thanks to everyone for your input and resources.

I think I'm going to head South from Borden Bridge and see what kinds of sights there are in store (looks like beautiful country from many of the pictures I have seen).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast