Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY PrimaloftQuilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If you want to hold off until after this weekend, I should have some information for you. Working on making Primaloft quilts, and will post results. Have all the materials, just getting my final plan of action together before I start. Making for a 6 and 8 year old.

If you need some ideas:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearKidsHammock.html

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    UM: I just made a top quilt from a thrift store synthentic rectangular bag based loosely on Te-Wa's top quilt pattern: Click here It was super simple with a synthetic bag: I just cut the shell and batting at the same time. I left the length of the bag (72 inches) so I just had to cut a wedge shape like this \ / from top to bottom.

Then, I went back and cut about a half inch off the insulation from both edges and sewed the shell closed. Then, I sewed on some binding tape flat right on the edge of the bottom, ran some cord under the binding tape, drew the cord tight and tied it off. Then I sewed the foot box closed for about 14 inches. That was it. It came out great and took a couple of hours. I ended up with something that looks just like this: top quilt.jpg

You could do the same thing very inexpensively, tailoring the size to your kids. Since the bags are so inexpensive, you could replace them in a couple of years. Best of luck to you!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by weegie View Post
    If you want to hold off until after this weekend, I should have some information for you. Working on making Primaloft quilts, and will post results. Have all the materials, just getting my final plan of action together before I start. Making for a 6 and 8 year old.

If you need some ideas:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearKidsHammock.html
    I am not going to get to it this weekend, but was hoping to do some shopping for materials. I would love to see what come up with! If you post your stiff to a new thread, let me know!
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    UM: I just made a top quilt from a thrift store synthentic rectangular bag based loosely on Te-Wa's top quilt pattern: Click here It was super simple with a synthetic bag: I just cut the shell and batting at the same time. I left the length of the bag (72 inches) so I just had to cut a wedge shape like this \ / from top to bottom.

Then, I went back and cut about a half inch off the insulation from both edges and sewed the shell closed. Then, I sewed on some binding tape flat right on the edge of the bottom, ran some cord under the binding tape, drew the cord tight and tied it off. Then I sewed the foot box closed for about 14 inches. That was it. It came out great and took a couple of hours. I ended up with something that looks just like this: top quilt.jpg

You could do the same thing very inexpensively, tailoring the size to your kids. Since the bags are so inexpensive, you could replace them in a couple of years. Best of luck to you!
    That is exactly what I am looking for. Great looking quilt!

You made that out of one bag for one quilt correct? not two quilts from one bag?

Golite is having their super sale right now. I am wondering if I just shouldn't convert the RS 3-Season Vario Semi-Rectangular - Regular for $80 to a quilt. I think a Ray-Way quilt kit is going for around $80 as well.

Then again, if I can score a couple of synthetic sleeping bags cheep, that would be a good way to go.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    UM--that's Te-Wa's down top quilt in the picture (I agree--great looking!) But mine looks just like that structurally even though it's made from a cheapo synthentic rectangular bag.

Yes, one (adult-sized) top quilt from one bag. Although, if you got an inexpensive Walmart or REI rectangular bag, you might get two (kid-sized) top quilts out of it...You'll just have to measure your kids and do some figuring.

What I got from Te-wa's instructions was some reasonable dimensions for an adult top quilt: 48 inches wide at the top with a straight taper down to 36 inches wide at the bottom, 72 inches tall. Go from there to figure sizes for the kids. Best of luck! Keep us posted!
    "Pips"

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY PrimaloftQuilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    36/48 = 75% so the tapering is 36*.75 = 27 inches. Half that for a foot box is only 13.5 inches for a footbox assuming no loss from height and such. Seems a little small, even for tiny feet. I'm going to mess around with a towel-rag and see what footbox seems appropriate. Will post results.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY PrimaloftQuilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Wow, and results already. 27" was exactly as big as my kids feet were, a little space between his ankles. No room for growth.

This was on an average 8 year old boy, shoe size 1.

Tried 30" and it was a little more reasonable, allowing that a little more size would fit. I assume it would be the size of my 10 year old neighbor kid, leaving no room for growth there.

Personally, after trying 36", I will stay with that for my build. The towel-test was pretty handy.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Weegie: JustJeff's kid's top quilt is 36" wide---no taper. So the foot box is 36 inches. Making your kid's top quilt smaller than that at the feet would be uncharted territory. JustJeff just made his shorter than an adult's top quilt, 61 inches. I think you're on the right track with your "towel test". 36 inches seems right for the foot box. Best of luck. Can't wait to see some pictures!!
    "Pips"

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12