Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Alternative to MSH?

I saw this video on another thread this morning:

(I hope that worked. Never tried it before.)

Anyway, I was wondering if it would not work to sew a loop into the end of the tree strap with either the adjustable or fixed loop of the Whoopie Sling going through it according to your taste. Then you could use this knot on the tree strap using no carabiners, soft shackles, etc. The Whoopie would be permanently attached to the strap, so you could not leave your straps wrapped around the tree as you merrily go off down the trail, and there's no toggle to lose either. The only drawback I can see is for the gram weenies who take different length tree straps according to the diameter of trees they expect to encounter in a certain region. Seems like you could have a shorter length attached, then take more straps with loops to interlock to account for larger trees as needed.

I use a double-ended stuff sack for my hammock & suspension, so this would work to start at one end and stretch to the other while holding your hammock up if there was wet ground, snow, etc.

Questions? Comments? Snide remarks?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    No input? Bad idea?

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    I think the only issue that you would have would be sawing through the webbing. That Amsteel will mow right through webbing if your not careful.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Very interesting. I think what will get most folks is getting tangled up in a new knot technique. The marlinspike hitch is a little too much knot for some, and if you tie it wrong, you could easily fall.

Devils advocate aside, it looks cool. I want to know how it does after a load is applied. Is there a chance to bind the webbing or melt under pressure?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Very interesting. I think what will get most folks is getting tangled up in a new knot technique. The marlinspike hitch is a little too much knot for some, and if you tie it wrong, you could easily fall.

Devils advocate aside, it looks cool. I want to know how it does after a load is applied. Is there a chance to bind the webbing or melt under pressure?
    No clue. I also had the idea to take some tubular nylon webbing I have and create a sleeve to go onto that loop to minimize friction from the amsteel sliding around on the poly webbing. I guess Mac knows more about this knot than anyone since this is his tutorial. It sure seems valid. I'll have to give this the back yard try and see what it does. I am not a small guy, so if it works for me, chances are good for a big portion of forum members! Maybe the more knot savvy can use it if it works. I just made my first Whoopie Slings, so I am just learning how it works with other materials. Thanks for the input Dejoha. I bought "The Ultimate Hang" on ibooks. Really enjoyed it!

Thanks too dammfast!
    Last edited by Hiknhanger; 04-16-2012 at 13:15. Reason: Acknowledge input

Hammock
    DIY Black Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    I still dont know how you can 'trip' a normal bowline...

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I haven't used it but I'm sure it works if Mac says it does.
    One must take into account the strength degradation of the line as with all knots. IMO, the lack of adjustability is the major drawback to any similar approach.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I haven't used it but I'm sure it works if Mac says it does.
    One must take into account the strength degradation of the line as with all knots. IMO, the lack of adjustability is the major drawback to any similar approach.
    I sent a PM to Mac asking the questions Dejoha had. He said he uses this knot all of the time. He said as long as there is enough of a tail left out to pull, it should not be a problem with binding. He has never had an issue with it. No problem with melting on his polyester webbing either.

I have yet to have time to experiment with my idea, but it seems you could do the knot at any point in the webbing just like a MSH. Granted, it would take up more length of the webbing than the MSH with a toggle, so there would be some limitation. I just thought this idea could eliminate the " I left my straps wrapped around that tree 10 miles back." syndrome and save some hardware grams too. Since there is so much flexibility in the Whoopie Sling, I thought it could compensate for any reduced adjustability in this setup.
    Last edited by Hiknhanger; 04-18-2012 at 09:10. Reason: Addition

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've been using this on a dayhike hammock ever since MacEntyre posted the video. Used it yesterday during lunch at the farm. No problems whatsoever. I have probably spent 6 - 10 hours actually in that hammock so far. The knot is solid, but easy to remove.

I have continuous loops through the hammock channels larksheaded to descender rings, and 6 feet of webbing attached to the rings. No whoopies, just a simple system. If I need to adjust, it just takes a few seconds to re-tie the knot.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken; 04-18-2012 at 11:43.
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

• + New Posts