Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

First hang

Well we went backpacking to a place in the White Mountains of NH and brought the hammocks for the first time. Hike total: 6 miles...
    Here's what I learned:
    1--My GTUL is too narrrow for me.. I felt as though I was laying on a precipice all night and almost dumped several times... granted I sleep in a ball on my side. Thank God I didn't go with the GT Nano7!! I do have a GT AT to use next time. UPdate:: Ordered a WBBB 1.1 double :0)))
    2-- I turned an old 15d Mummy bag into an UQ until I save up for a 20d Incubator...I need to work on my design a bit.. but i was warm when i combined it with my other 30d down bag as an OV.. and it got down to 36F
    3-- Hammocking is so much better than tenting! I love looking up to see the stars and feel the wind gently rock you.
    4-- I need a bug net.. A couple of creepy crawlers were on me by the morning.. shudder
    5-- Those Nite-Ize are the bomb! Not only do they allow you to get a nice secure hold on the tarp but they also prevent you from tripping at night.

Last edited by sunshower; 04-19-2012 at 20:39. Reason: added
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Congratulations on your first hang

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Congrats on your first hang!

Quote Originally Posted by StaplesHuskies View Post
    3-- Hammocking is so much better than tenting! I love looking up to see the stars and feel the wind gently rock you.
    Well said!
    4-- I need a bug net.. A couple of creepy crawlers were on me by the morning.. shudder
    I sometimes find that even when I don't need a net for skeeters there are certainly other flying critters I don't care to sleep with.

5-- Those Nite-Ize are the bomb! Not only do they allow you to get a nice secure hold on the tarp but they also prevent you from tripping at night.

I use their tent line kit for my tarp and it's very easy to find at night. I also love the Figure 9s and S-biners. They make very useful stuff.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    1--My GTUL is too narrrow for me.. I felt as though I was laying on a precipice all night and almost dumped several times... granted I sleep in a ball on my side. Thank God I didn't go with the GT Nano7!! I do have a GT AT to use next time.
    Were you laying at an angle in the hammock?

Hammock
    Treedscape BigPaw
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Treedscape BigHeat
    Suspension
    Straps + Whoopies
    Well we went backpacking to a place in the White Mountains of NH and brought the hammocks for the first time. Hike total: 6 miles...
    Here's what I learned:
    1--My GTUL is too narrrow for me.. I felt as though I was laying on a precipice all night and almost dumped several times... granted I sleep in a ball on my side. Thank God I didn't go with the GT Nano7!! I do have a GT AT to use next time.
    2-- I turned an old 15d Mummy bag into an UQ until I save up for a 20d Incubator...I need to work on my design a bit.. but i was warm when i combined it with my other 30d down bag as an OV.. and it got down to 36F

Sounds awesome. I'm still in the process of building my WBBB clone. Need to add my sewn in bugnet. Nothing like zipping in to make you feel secure IMO. Looking forward to my first trip with it. Its only been hung from my deck in the backyard so far.

I was on the fence about the Nite-Ize, but you're pushing me toward them. Thanks for the info!
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" - Elbert Hubbard

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Walmart Poly
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was also wondering about the nite-ize... The ones I have found with the tent line kit are plastic, I take it that they hold up well? I had some knot bones but lost them before I got to try them
    Check out: www.facebook.com/theloftyknot for all your shock cord & paracord survival needs!

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've been using the plastic ones for several years and they're still in great shape. I tried knot bones but I find Figure 9s a lot more user-friendly.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trippaw View Post
    I was on the fence about the Nite-Ize, but you're pushing me toward them. Thanks for the info!
    Yes, mine are plastic- i bought a pack of 4 for $9.95 @ Kittery Trading Post; they seem pretty durable.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    Were you laying at an angle in the hammock?
    I tried, but being my first hang ever maybe I didn't have the lie right. It's hard when you're out there to get that 30d angle everyone mentions.. Man i need a giant protractor. haha.
    Megan

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You have two protractors at the ends of your arms. ;-)

You'll get it. Just takes a little practice.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast