Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I would toss in another parameter. Any possible new purchase needs to be better than what I have now. I do not see a lot of the new stuff as an improvement over my 30 yr old gear. Quite often it is a downgrade. As an example I loath stoves with separate fuel bottles or pots without a bail.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Being out here on the trail for over 5 weeks now, my priorities have definitely changed

3 *Weight
    1 *Durability
    5 *Price
    4 *Functionality/Versatility
    2 *Comfort

if something rips or breaks mid hike, I am screwed.
    Weight has definitely taken a lower ranking.
    And comfort is a close second.

I just had to exchange a pack mid hike and i would not recommend this method to anyone whether it has to do with stoves, hammocks, sleeping bag, etc

I think if one is a weekender or planning a short hike, then the considerations are much different.
    But for a thru hike, this is my .02
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Papa Smurf Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Custom TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    It's really changed. As A Noob It was all about price. But after buying cheap equipment only to find it too heavy or uncomfortable or poorly made I'm switched to higher quality/lighter stuff. So here it goes-

1. weight- am I willing to carry it?
    2.Function/ comfort/ - Do I need it/does it work?
    3. Price/durability- can I afford it/ how long will it last

thats my vote

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    My vote are for comfort, that's why I use hammock.
    1 Comfort
    2 Durability
    3 Functionality/versatility
    4 Weight
    5 Price
    just my 0,02$
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Function/versatility
    Price
    Comfort
    Durability
    Weight

Weight is the last factor I consider. In truth, my first two parameters are:

1. Will it meet my needs for what I need it to do?
    2. Can I afford it?

These first two things are the initial criteria for any purchase I make. If I can't afford the price...it's off the table. If it won't work for what I need it...why bother buying it?

After that durability and comfort are tied. Durability might come higher than comfort...if I have to replace it more often, that's a factor of price. Comfort has crept up the scale as I've gotten older.

Weight can tie into comfort...but since I camp more than hike, weight is my lowest factor here. With the advent of all the 'newer' gear, I've already managed to drop a lot of weight and am going lighter than I used to. If you're used to 40lbs, and you've already dropped to 24lbs...one more pound won't make you cry so much. Ounces even less so.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    1. Weight
    2. Functionality/Versatility
    **3. Price
    4. Durability
    5. Comfort

This is tricky!

Weight is important to me because I want a light pack. I think my gear buying choices over the years would pin me as having "weight" as a top priority. If you are targeting backpackers vs. campers, then weight is always going to score high.

On the heels of weight is versatility. I like multi-functional gear, or gear that I can use in more than one way, if possible. "Bells and whistles" only matter if they don't add a weight penalty and can enhance the gear to be used in another way.

Price is relative. If we value something, we will pay for it, but inflated prices are a deterrent. For example, a simple gathered-end hammock can be hand-made for $20 for a thrifty DIY-er. Double that price for a commercially-made hammock. Much more than that, and it is hard for me to see the value. However, if that simple hammock has added value, like a zippered bug net, a asymmetric lay with a foot box, and other whiz-bang innovations that would be more challenging for a DIY-er, than the value jumps quite a bit. I think the red herring here is that price is a function for probably all of these items. Time to do a price elasticity study for each one!

Durability is also tricky because I think it is a function of weight and versatility/functionality. Typically heavier items are more durable and probably have more bells/whistles.

Maybe a better question would be to frame this:

Price, Weight, Durability. Pick two.

If you want something durable but lightweight, it's probably space-age, and therefor expensive.

If you want something cheap and light, it's probably not durable.

If you want something Durable but cheap, it's probably heavy.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    1. Weight
    2. Functionality/Versatility
    **3. Price
    4. Durability
    5. Comfort

This is tricky!

Weight is important to me because I want a light pack. I think my gear buying choices over the years would pin me as having "weight" as a top priority. If you are targeting backpackers vs. campers, then weight is always going to score high.

On the heels of weight is versatility. I like multi-functional gear, or gear that I can use in more than one way, if possible. "Bells and whistles" only matter if they don't add a weight penalty and can enhance the gear to be used in another way.

Price is relative. If we value something, we will pay for it, but inflated prices are a deterrent. For example, a simple gathered-end hammock can be hand-made for $20 for a thrifty DIY-er. Double that price for a commercially-made hammock. Much more than that, and it is hard for me to see the value. However, if that simple hammock has added value, like a zippered bug net, a asymmetric lay with a foot box, and other whiz-bang innovations that would be more challenging for a DIY-er, than the value jumps quite a bit. I think the red herring here is that price is a function for probably all of these items. Time to do a price elasticity study for each one!

Durability is also tricky because I think it is a function of weight and versatility/functionality. Typically heavier items are more durable and probably have more bells/whistles.

Maybe a better question would be to frame this:

Price, Weight, Durability. Pick two.

If you want something durable but lightweight, it's probably space-age, and therefor expensive.

If you want something cheap and light, it's probably not durable.

If you want something Durable but cheap, it's probably heavy.

Very much agreed with the above said. +1 to dejoha
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    For me
    First I look to see if the large/tall man was considerd or if the model was just beefed up with little or no consideration to true fit/function. (So fuction and comfort perhaps first)

Then I look at weight. If the weight is reasonable I read reviews of similar or previous products (durabilty)
    If those are met then I think its worth having a product catered to me that will last and do what is needed I will tend to pay what is necessary yo have it. far more than most based on my size. Butit is what it is.

So I really dont find one of these more than the other. Id rather not sacrifice anything. We pay too much money for too much sacrifice as it is.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    DIY GT Treeslings
    I'm pretty new to hammocks but my thought process is basically the same for all my gear.

1. Weight: I'm getting older, it has to be light.

2. Functionality/Versatility: I can justify a little extra weight for an item that actually works and can serve more than one purpose.

3. Comfort: The biggest reason I am into hammocks.

4. Durability: If it doesn't hold up, what good is it?

5. Price: If an item meets all other requirements I don't mind paying a little more, especially if it's light and versatile. Buy once, cry once.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I use hammocks for one reason and one reason alone. All the other stuff are just happy side-benefits.

Comfort rules.
    I would agree with that. When I bought my hammock, and the reason I use it, is to get off of the ground.

But then none of those issues make sense when considered alone. If it's not functional, then how could you use it? If it's not comfortable, then why would you use it?

Price and durability are almost the same thing to me. I'll buy once and pay more for something that doesn't wear out, but only because I figure it's cheaper in the long run.

But ultimately my hammock was about getting off the ground in order to be comfortable. Camping sporadically all my life, I moved closer to finally getting a good night's sleep every year, but switching to a hammock was like flipping a light switch. It took the biggest hassle out of camping, trying to get a good night's sleep, and made it one of the greatest pleasures. I'll take the hammock out to the park in the middle of the day just to relax, which I would have never done with the tent.

I'll add one more factor to you list: ease of use. Maybe that comes under functionality. It's just easier to set up the hammock than any tent I've used.

I'm not a hiker, so weight is seldom a deciding factor, although I do bike, so there is a tipping point, but most hammocks seem well below that point.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast