Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO double
    Tarp
    oes 5x8 sil

bad bridge hammock lay?

Has anyone ever tried a bridge hammock and found it uncomfortable? I can't find one to try out but I figure if there aren't any people with bad experiences its worth a try.

Thanks

Had 2 different bridge hammocks. Both of them kinda reminded me of a cot in a way. Not really "bad" experiences.

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    I am not a fan of normal bridges. I have found them very uncomfortable. A number of us in the bridge community use the Eureka Chrysalis. Ask those who have used it and other bridges and many will say it is the most comfortable bridge they have used.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

I absolutely love sleeping in a bridge, but they suck to just relax in..
    The first time I tried a bridge, I hated it. I was just not used to it but after a couple of nights in a bridge I found it to be the most comfortable hammock to sleep in.

Images
    A JRB Bridge is near bout my all around favorite hammock. But it is very different and took some getting used to. The main thing that turns people off seems to be how narrow it is in the shoulders, and perceived shoulder squeeze. In fact I returned my 1st one due to this. But obviously I got another one and have grown quite fond of it.

So, I don't think there is actual shoulder squeeze. It does force your shoulders ( unless you add a wide pad ) to assume the curve of the hammock. A similar position as though you slightly curved your shoulders forward with bad posture. If you want to know what this position is, just lay on your back in your bed and put your left hand over your right elbow and rt hand under left elbow. ( Which is very similar to how I lay on my back anyway) For me, doing this slightly rounds my shoulders. If I do this in the JRB, the hammock will just be contacting my shoulders. This does not at all bother me, but it might bother you. So you need to sleep in one or be able to return it. Me, I always note the lack of shoulder room, then quickly ignore it because I am so comfortable. Or, I just turn ever so slightly to my side, and then the shoulder room is about as good as other hammocks. Also, you will need to have a large enough tarp or use tie outs to avoid rubbing the spreader bars, and it is not the lightest hammock out there.

OTOH, and only IMHO, except possibly for the HH Safari, no other hammock matches it for comfort from about waist down, and most especially in the legs/knees. It is for me the only hammock 100% free of knee or calf discomfort and side "torque" 100% of the time It is the best lounger due to best back support. It is best for side position unless you need to have your knees really bent into fetal, then it is not so good. It is the best hammock to use with a pad, hands down no competition( IMO ). I think it's narrowness makes it easier to stay tucked under a TQ and avoid drafts than my other hammocks, maybe it's just my imagination. And finally(not my imagination), it is best for consistent hassle free, draft free use with a JRB MW UQ ( and maybe other UQs also). Head to toe, side to side warmth that I can not roll off of, never with any drafts from a poor adjustment or fit. Just always works on 1st try. So that is for me a long list of 1st places or at least tied for 1st.

Then again, despite all those positives from my view, there is that shoulder thing again. So, you need to try one because you might love it above all other hammocks, or you might hate it. Hard to say.

There is a bridge hammock from Canada, Eureka Chrysalis.. It has no shoulder issues at all, period, and it has a wide open view to both sides, and great leg comfort. Really great hammock. But I still actually prefer my JRB very slightly for side comfort ( except I can bend my knees up all the way in the Chrysalis). And anyway, the Chrysalis weighs about twice as much as my already heavy JRB, though not a problem for car camping or canoeing/kayaking.

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    My opinion is bascially a a rehash of Billy Bob's.

I typically use a z-rest ccf pad or my BA insulated aircore pad to give my JRB BMBH a more structure along the bottom.

Since I am only 5'6" tall, the pad completely removes any issues with the sides of the hammock touching my shoulders. It is like sleeping in a bed.

But that pad does make the hammock a bit tippy to get into. [you can think of it like a kayak or canoe, shacky to get into or out of, but stable once you are in].

You can visualize the shape of a gathered end hammock as a banana and the shape of a bridge hammock as half of a soda can. The curve tends to roll your shoulder forward. Again this shoulder roll is completely removed for me with a pad or mitigated for me without a pad by side sleeping.

For me the bridge really excels in the winter, I use my summer TQ as a second UQ and a winter bag as a top quilt. The UQs double up easily with no drafts.

Again visualize the quilts as sheets of paper and the bridge as half of a soda can - very easy to make the two shapes have full contact.

Conversely, visualize the quilts as sheets of paper and the gathered end hammock as a banana not as easy to make the two shapes have full contact.

It is not the most UL hammock. But when want SUL, I go to ground.
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    OK, so what would be the difference between a Crystalist, JRB & say Brandon's or Grizz's?

Is there a way to make it for wider shoulders?

What about use of an UQ? I've heard that they actually work better with an UQ than a standard gathered end. Is there any truth to this?

Hammock
    ENO double
    Tarp
    oes 5x8 sil

bridge

Thanks for the help. I'm 5'8" and very narrow so this might be a good fit. I think i would usa a x-therm or x-lite with a quilt for insulation. I'll probably try to put one together in the near future.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jared rosmarin View Post
    Has anyone ever tried a bridge hammock and found it uncomfortable? I can't find one to try out but I figure if there aren't any people with bad experiences its worth a try.

Thanks
    the bridge gave me the shoulder squeeze,most uncomfortable hammock i have ever layed inneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    ENO double
    Tarp
    oes 5x8 sil

bri

if you dont mind me asking, how tall are you and how much do you weigh?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast