Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GossamerGear ThinLight Insulation Pad Question

Has anyone ever used one of these for insulation with a hammock? Either in the Hammock or on the SS for the Hennessy?

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...thinlight.html

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 & Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long
    The link does not work.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The GG thinlight pads are great. Highly recommended.

here's a link:
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    The GG thinlight pads are great. Highly recommended.

here's a link:
    Some have opined that the 1/8th pad is fragile, I've not had any issues with my 1/4in pads from Oware.

I am planning on going to ME to do the "100 mile" in late Sept and am looking for some light weight/inexpensive options for warmth in a HH U/L with the supershelter. Does anyone have an idea if this pad will help (in the hammock or in the undercover of the HH supershelter)?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I have the 1/4" wide for hammocking. It works well to keep your underside warm, but synthetic base layer stuck to it like crazy and I toss and turn a lot, so I would wake up, raise myself off the pad, roll over, rinse repeat. I'm thinking either a pad cover or putting a neat sheet against the bottom of the hammock and slipping the pad in between hammock and undercover.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chesnutx4 View Post
    I am planning on going to ME to do the "100 mile" in late Sept and am looking for some light weight/inexpensive options for warmth in a HH U/L with the supershelter. Does anyone have an idea if this pad will help (in the hammock or in the undercover of the HH supershelter)?
    Chestnutx4, I had a post to you over on WB re: SS, don't know if you saw it yet.

As for these GG pads, TeeDee used to use two of them in a "T" formation ON TOP of the SS OCF pad. He said that worked great, and got him down into the teens with no problems, but I never got around to trying it, wish I had. He had to adjust the SS suspension a tad tighter to avoid any gaqp from the extra weight. But I think I would be able to do Sept ( I think, not sure of the elevations and temp lows) in Maine with just the standard SS pad /space blanket/ undercover. Maybe add a little extra clothing. But I also like the HH kidnet/torso pads for just a few oz more.

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I have the 1/4" wide for hammocking. It works well to keep your underside warm, but synthetic base layer stuck to it like crazy and I toss and turn a lot, so I would wake up, raise myself off the pad, roll over, rinse repeat. I'm thinking either a pad cover or putting a neat sheet against the bottom of the hammock and slipping the pad in between hammock and undercover.
    That is why I think a thermarest with a Speer SPE is the most comfortable pad system for hammockers. It eliminates the "sticky" factor for the most part.

I own both a the thinlight and the oware pad. Ain't no way I'd use the thinlight in a hammock. It is too "sticky" it would fold up and wrinkle under your body the moment you got in the hammock. If not before.

The Oware pad is nice, at 40x60 you can cut it to fit (or fold in half for more insulation). It too is a tad sticky and will fold-up a bit. But not too bad. I have used it several times in my HH without too many issues.

The GG 3/4 NightLight would be a great option, though it is a bit narrow. I use my GG Torso NightLight in my HH on my last trip as I knew the night time temps would not drop below 50F. I was fine. The last night it was close to 50F and I could feel a few cold spots along my arms/shoulders that would have become an issue had it been much colder. But my back/butt were fine at those temps.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WldrnslgsTQ+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchClips
    So if you use the 40" wide 1/4 thick pad in a double layer hammock, between the layers, wouldn't that eliminate the concern about being to tacky/sticky?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast