Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Hanging too tight?

For my first test hang (report) I used trees about 15' apart. I think everything was set up fine and slept well, but I'm not 100% sure.

In my WBBB, the middle of the hammock seems to be pulled tighter than the rest. I don't know how to describe it, but it's like a bunch of channels of fabric most noticeable between my legs to the end of the hammock that wont spread out to the sides. Depending on my exact position, I can sometimes feel this under my knees. And forget lying straight since it's higher than the sides (feet fall to either side)

I usually have this problem in my Grand Trunk UL too and could never figure it out. Is this caused by an improper (too steep) angle? It looked like 30° to me, but maybe I'm closer to 45°.

Any suggestions?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    I'm no expert... but that isn't going to prevent me from voicing my opinion

Theoretically I don't think the angle is that important since you have a structural ridgeline. That takes care of everything. Having said that you want to get your angle right so that you aren't putting too much stress on parts of your hammock (and you can probably make it mushy if it's too much angle). In general try to get the angle close just to eliminate that variable. I usually judge my angle by my ridgeline... if I got it just right the ridgeline will be snug but not so tight that I can't tweak it like in Brandon's video. If it's too tight I let some line out (or some strap) and if it's too loose I cinch up one side (or both).

Here is what I have noticed (and this topic has been covered elsewhere... *cue angrysparrow the human wayback machine*). I get that ridgeline if I'm not laying at an angle with my feet in the footbox. Also, if my butt isn't in the right place (try moving your butt around until you find what works for you). Also, sometimes that ridge can come in handy so play with it.

The most important thing is to get a lot of time in your hammock ( ) and move around to find out how what you do influences the fabric.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This comes up fairly often.....here is a recent thread and some cure suggestions: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=51199
    Carry Forth,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Thanks, there's a lot of stuff about this! Since I set up in the dark, and rain, I may have made an error. I'm going to take the tarp off soon and have a look, make adjustments, and test!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    This comes up fairly often.....here is a recent thread and some cure suggestions: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=51199
    Carry Forth,
    Shug
    I stand corrected... cue Shug the human wayback machine
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

I found that on the WBBB that it is pretty important to get close to the 35* angle. A simple trick is to hold your hand up with your palm, ( horizontal ) facing your face. Thumb straight up, fingers straight out. You hold your hand up to your suspension lines to check for proper angle. I know my description is not clear so I will get a pic up to show what I am talking about.. Give me a min to throw up a hammock..
    The angle from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the index finger is close to 35*

Last edited by spaceweaseal; 04-21-2012 at 09:32.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Thanks, there's a lot of stuff about this! Since I set up in the dark, and rain, I may have made an error. I'm going to take the tarp off soon and have a look, make adjustments, and test!
    Your problem probably has more to do with your position in the hammock rather than the set up.

Gathered end hammocks are not designed to lay straight down the middle as you have found.

I have to lay just right in my WBBB to hit the sweet spot and not have the "under knee ridge". This means my feet have to be all the way in the foot box and my shoulder is almost on top of the zipper...as far on the diagonal as possible.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    I found that on the WBBB that it is pretty important to get close to the 35* angle. A simple trick is to hold your hand up with your palm, ( horizontal ) facing your face. Thumb straight up, fingers straight out. You hold your hand up to your suspension lines to check for proper angle. I know my decryption is not clear so I will get a pic up to show what I am talking about.. Give me a min to throw up a hammock..
    No prob if you dont get a pic up, I see what you're saying. Good idea!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    This means my feet have to be all the way in the foot box and my shoulder is almost on top of the zipper...as far on the diagonal as possible.
    See, I felt like I was struggling to even "use the footbox". I guess that depends on height too. I'll spend a lot of time today dialing it in, and hopefully even better sleep tonight.

Thanks everyone!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast