Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dimeotane View Post
    I like campfire cooking, but cast iron pans are just too heavy. Do you have suggestions for light weight cookwear for the fire?
    Check out the Banks Fry-Bake, comes in personal & group size. Works best over flame or coals, but can be used w/ heat spreader & gas stove in a pinch. My alpine always comes w/ me on camping trips, not always on hiking trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I think that part of the reason that you don't see campfires on a lot of these pages is the difference in "goals".

Backpackers typically view camp as that spot that they sleep and recuperate between their trail time.

Campers view the trail as that lovely scenery between their next 'home for the night'.

Campers usually love fires. Backpackers view them as optional.
    So true. My issue is that my mindset when I begin my hike isn't always the same as when it's time to make camp for the day!

Whether or not I need or intend to use a fire is often irrelevant for me. As a non-expert bushman it's a skill where I have plenty of room to learn and improve my techniques, so the process of procuring kindling, learning about which wood types work best, finding and processing dry starter sticks and getting it to hold a spark in wet/windy/dark conditions is worth practicing. And once I've got it lit it's easily stamped out if I want.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Usually I have some sort of fire, even if its just the bushbuddy. In the winter, however, I always have a real fire. The night comes early and stays late. You need a little caveman TV time to while away the hours/dry your hiking clothes.

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    99% of the time I have a small fire, just enough to watch the flames dance me to sleep. to me its just not camping with out a fire. when I was in the service I spent many a nights "cold camping".
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

I agree with all the fire lovers. It just does not feel like camping without a fire. Even a small one.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I would agree with the "camping vs. backpacking" idea. I do a little bike camping, which seems more like backpacking then "stationary camping," and I tend to roll into camp, eat something, and go to sleep. Then get up, eat something, and head out. I like a fire, but to sit and stare at it by myself seems like a waste. I save my waking, lounging time for recuperating during the day.

But get some people together, and you have to have a fire. The annual camping trip I take with some friends includes a large fire pit, ringed with camp/lawn chairs, and it is one of the the highlights of the weekend. I think some of the campers would willingly move the whole camping trip to hotel if they could bring the fire with them.

So, yes, sitting around an open fire is great way to enjoy the outdoors with friends, or even alone, but if I've spent the entire day enjoying the outdoors, then a little alcohol stove is a great way to get some warm food in me and get me to bed.

Hammock
    Wl lite owl
    Tarp
    Omw
    Insulation
    UnDeRgRoUnD QuIlTs
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i bring my crux light i love it, but i also enjoi a small fire at night. i think its one of my fav parts about camping, but after many burnt fish and spilt pots of water i like to do my cooking on a stove i have a wood stove i bring some times for long trips so i dont have to take alot of fuel but i only cook dinner and tea on it most the time so i dont need much fuel anyways.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Thinking more about it. The only thing I do not mind bringing home unused is stove fuel. It means I had a fire most or every day to burn the burnables and cook some meals. It was warming and just a cozy way to feel civilized in the the piney woods.
    As far as cooking over a wood fire it seems the outdoor industry has abandoned wood fire cooking. I want coated aluminum pots with bales. I have a set that is coated and one that is not but I cannot find new ones for sale. 4 Dog has one that is large for 1 or two people. I like my GSI style kettle and a Sigg pot that it just fit in. That would make it about 1 1/2 qt. I might get some Aluminum wire and try making a bail on a 10 cm Imusa for kicks. The bail lets one hang off a stick or grab a handle shielded by the pot. Don't forget to soap the outside of the pot and use a stuff sack. ;-)

Hammock
    Diy
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Muletape straps

At least SOME kind of fire...

I usually try to make a little fire, even if it's in a little wood burning stove. My IKEA utensil container wood stove just looks cool at night with the fire inside. Not too much trouble to break up a small branch and light it up. Just right with some bedtime tea.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth gathered end. 126x60
    Tarp
    DIY Assym SilNylon
    Insulation
    Down & synth
    Suspension
    Straps & whoopies
    Candle lanterns when backpacking, solo, or on a bike tour. Camp fires draw sasquatches. Then I gotta throw rocks back at 'em. Makes my arm hurt as I'm not as young as I used to be. 'Sides, it's their woods too.
    Transportation for Hiram Farm

Two Wheels Good, Four Wheels Bad

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567