Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbushcraft View Post
    I truely don't want to start an arguement and mean this as a discussion point.... But, a lot of people use 550 cord too and manage not to kill themselves. I think the 550 users are nuts and are pressing their luck. On the other hand, how does the strength of most hammock nylon compair to the dynaglide?
    I'm still using 7mm accessory cord and am looking to make the chamge to whoopies. I'm not in a big rush because I'm not worried about weight (of rigging) and am making the change for the "cool new hardware" factor.
    I hung from paracord for years before I found this site. Never had a problem with it. It is great stuff,but it does however, really soak up a lot of water when it rains. My main reason for switching to amsteel and dynaglide, was to try out the constrictors, ie. whoopies slings and ucr's, which I've come to really like.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    ZPacks w/doors
    Suspension
    amsteel whoopies
    I first made some 7/64ths amsteel whoopies and used them for a while. I then made some dynaglide whoopies and used them until I noticed some freying on the entry point of the constrictor on the hammock side of the whoopie. I thought that this would gradually lead to a weakening of line at that point so I changed back to the 7/64ths.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.1
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Diamond
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Amsteel SRS
    When hammock suspensions are hung at 30 degrees, the load on each line is equal to your weight. So a person weighing 200 pounds would have a safety factor of 5 with Dynaglide and a 300 pound person would have the same safety factor of 5 with 7/64" Amsteel.
    What about BearChaser suspension style? It's 0 degrees to the earth near the tree and 60 degrees near the hammock.

|---\------/---|
    (| — tree, ---, \ and / — rope with two alpine butterfly knot on it, hammock is attached to \ and /)

I want to make this suspension of dynaglide, but with carabiner or ring to join 5 parts:

|---o\------/o---|
    (o — carabiner)

If there is no dramatic change, it looks pretty safe with my 132 lbs + stuff. :-)
    Last edited by Roma; 03-12-2013 at 12:28.

Hammock
    Eno Double nest
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I hung from paracord for years before I found this site. Never had a problem with it. It is great stuff,but it does however, really soak up a lot of water when it rains. My main reason for switching to amsteel and dynaglide, was to try out the constrictors, ie. whoopies slings and ucr's, which I've come to really like.
    Your lack of killing yourself was basically what I was pointing to when I said, "On the other hand, how does the strength of most hammock nylon compair to the dynaglide?
    The whole thing is a system and we need to look at where the weakest link really sits. I'm 245 lbs and use an ENO dn rated at 400 lbs. You wouldn't catch me using 550 cord for any part of my suspension. Someone 150 lbs with a hammock rated at 200 lbs might get away with 550 cord forever. Just like it does't make sense to use kite string, it makes just as little sense using logging chains. :-)

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Pending
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    While I have never used Dyneema or Dynaglide, I can attest to the ease of use of Amsteel. As a relative newcomer to the DIY hammock scene, I was able to fashion my own needle and make two pair of whoopie slings without much effort. I bought the Amsteel from the DIY Gear site, but it's available in many other places. And I just followed the Youtube instructions! Worked great and I use the slings frequently!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tefte View Post
    While I have never used Dyneema or Dynaglide, I can attest to the ease of use of Amsteel....
    Amsteel and Dynaglide are both brand names for ropes made out of Dyneema fiber.

Get both and see how you get on. 7/64 is a bit easier to splice but both relatively easy once you get the hang of it. You do not need any special tools, but sharp quality scissors help a lot. There is a weight saving with dynaglide but nothing that I can notice, however the bulk saving is noticeable. You can get another bulk saving when moving from whoopies to UCR's. Because of the wear to the cord when using speed hooks I have not tried dynaglide with these which would be the ultimate bulk saving

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    To answer your question, there are not many hammocks "rated" to 500lbs or more. I think this discussion you just read through is a moot point as far as the ultimate goal is concerned. If my hammock will only hold 225lbs, why do I need a string rated for 1800? The only two reasons I don't use paracord is because it stretches and dynaglide is lighter. I personally know that my hammock will rip in half before my suspension does.

People tend to get a little carried away sometimes with numbers and pushing their own agendas, that they forget the seductive goal...string it up and hang out...

Btw, I was on business last week to Saipan and a coworker used paracord to hang his hammock. His hammock held him all week no problem.
    After reading through this whole post, this is the answer I've been looking for. Thanks Fish.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    I recently made a set of 1/8" whoopies and I'm really trying to like them, I just can't. It's like hanging from ski ropes! So I'm going back to 7/64ths. Yeah, yeah, safety this and weight that! To me, it's a matter of style. Will Dynaglide or paracord hold you up? Yep and probably will for a long time. That's the beauty of this game, you get to choose and there's really not a wrong answer. All the ropes/cords/straps we use is pretty cheap and totally fun to experiment with! Play for a while before you make a decision!
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    I'm going to try lash it. 400lb test strength.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast