Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

DD - First Hang with modified suspension

At my brother's house today taking care of his yard, and I brought my new DD along to work on while I watered his veggies.

So the first thing I did with my DD was to remove the stock webbing and replace with this:

Then I sewed back on the tabs that came loose, and added some thread to the ones that didn't.

Then I added a truckers hitch suspension using plumbers line that I had on hand (1000 lbs):

Changed out the shock cord with smaller diameter shock cord, and clipped it to my ridgeline:

and hung my hammock.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Cool mods FF. Your spreader bars really distort the term "straight as an arrow". I slept in my DD last night. It helps be think about the mods I want to do. The netting loops are starting to give. I guess they didn't heat seal the ends and the have a loose weave. I was just going to either rip out the long piece of webbing that goes from the zipper to the other side oan redo it with grossgrain or just cut off the loops and attaching grossgrain loops to the top of the long webbing. It seems to me that they didn't choose very good material for a will designed hammock. The strength of the 2 bottom layers is overkill. The netting is more like a tightly woven screen. You could bungee jump using the netting support. Speaking of support, that webbing is heavy and looks like a lantern wick. By the time I get done trimming, chopping, and cropping it's only going to be a single D.
    Last edited by Dutch; 07-27-2008 at 10:14.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    The old version of the DD used grosgrain tabs - don't know why they didn't stick with the grosgrain seam and tab system and went with the nylon tab and seam - I'm going to just sew a strip of grosgrain over the top of their nylon seam with my new grosgrain tabs already sewn in.

This is a hammock meant for heavy use - materials are all heavy duty.

Hammock
    Clark American
    Insulation
    thermarest
    Got mine Friday and took it up north this weekend. 4 tabs pulled out right away. I like this hammock for the money and I am 6'1" and I have no clue why Neo said it is too short. I had my Clark NA hanging next to it and jumped back and fourth and have to say the DD is 95% as comfortable as my Clark. I am also going to space out the mesh tabs a little more as well. I replaced the webbing with new stuff from some ratchet strap webs and did the double ring system. The wife said she would tackle the web loops on her sewing machine for me.
    Last edited by slowhike; 07-27-2008 at 21:37. Reason: language

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schmalts View Post
    Got mine Friday and took it up north this weekend. 4 tabs pulled out right away. I like this hammock for the money and I am 6'1" and I have no clue why Neo said it is too short. I had my Clark NA hanging next to it and jumped back and fourth and have to say the DD is 95% as comfortable as my Clark. I am also going to space out the mesh tabs a little more as well. I replaced the webbing with new stuff from some ratchet strap webs and did the double ring system. The wife said she would tackle the web loops on her sewing machine for me.
    Throw a pad or a thick blanket in the DD pad pocket, and it's 98-99% of the Clark.

Hammock
    Clark American
    Insulation
    thermarest
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Throw a pad or a thick blanket in the DD pad pocket, and it's 98-99% of the Clark.
    I think the DD has one thing that could be changed to make it real nice. They should make the second layer of the bottom a lot looser fit than the upper layer so when you lay on top of the top layer and slid anything in between the layers it was not snug in that space. This way you could put a quilt in there without it getting squashed thin from the weight.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schmalts View Post
    I think the DD has one thing that could be changed to make it real nice. They should make the second layer of the bottom a lot looser fit than the upper layer so when you lay on top of the top layer and slid anything in between the layers it was not snug in that space. This way you could put a quilt in there without it getting squashed thin from the weight.
    If that were the case, it would be much less useful for holding a slippery pad in place.

It seems to me that suspending a quilt beneath the hammock is the most effective way to use one rather than laying directly on it.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    If you're going to use a quilt leave your double layer hammock at home.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    If that were the case, it would be much less useful for holding a slippery pad in place.

It seems to me that suspending a quilt beneath the hammock is the most effective way to use one rather than laying directly on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    If you're going to use a quilt leave your double layer hammock at home.
    Both valid points. The thick blanket in the pad pocket was to create a "cushy" bed, not for insulation. In the warmer weather when the insulation isn't much of an issue, I like to use a blanket in my double bottomed hammocks as something like a "pillow top" on a bed - not only does the fabric of the hammock conform to your shape, but the thick blanket makes the bed a little "spongy", which is very comfortable to me. A pad accomplishes the same thing, just a lot less breathable and usually much thicker.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    i sent mine off today to my buddy mule skinner.
    1.adding new tabs to netting
    2.addind a velcro closer for the two bottoms.
    3.adding a pull out tab on each side like the henn.hammocks have
    4.reinforcing other stitching.
    5.making snake skins.
    it will then get a new ring buckle suspension by me when it
    makes it back.

i will post pics and let everyone no how it works neo
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast