WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup

My suspension idea

Dont know if this has been brought up, probably has but I cant find it. Any problem while making my whoopie slings to make the non adjustable loop permanent (dont know how other than larks head) onto the hammock, then make the adjustable loop thru the tree saver (so it doesnt come off) and use dutch clips that will stay on the tree strap?
    What would be the ideal lengths for these if its possible? This would be for my sons HH Scout and my WBBB 1.1 (that I havent gotten yet LOL). Thanks

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    only issue locking things in 'permanent-like' is the varying sizes of trees and distances.

takes a few extra wraps of a tree strap - but no problem otherwise.
    though, thing wear out, and need replaced now and again-- but that usually
    takes the casual user, a while.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup
    No problem on the wearing of items, when they occur then take apart and redo. What about attaching the whoopie to the treestraps? Can I just wrap the amsteel thru the loop by itself or does there need to be something else there? Plan on using 1" poly webbing. Thanks

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by camoxjeep View Post
    No problem on the wearing of items, when they occur then take apart and redo. What about attaching the whoopie to the treestraps? Can I just wrap the amsteel thru the loop by itself or does there need to be something else there? Plan on using 1" poly webbing. Thanks
    It will work. Over time, though, it will wear. I'd recommend a toggle connection between the webbing and the whoopie. Weighs next to nothing and even a stick found on the trail will suffice for a toggle.

Here is a sample. Look in the last frame to see what I mean. Imagine the webbing looped over the toggle in that last shot is a whoopie instead. That's what I mean.

http://www.buttinasling.com/tosyse.html
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrianb View Post
    It will work. Over time, though, it will wear. I'd recommend a toggle connection between the webbing and the whoopie. Weighs next to nothing and even a stick found on the trail will suffice for a toggle.

Here is a sample. Look in the last frame to see what I mean. Imagine the webbing looped over the toggle in that last shot is a whoopie instead. That's what I mean.

http://www.buttinasling.com/tosyse.html
    I thought about that but like I said I would like to have all of this semi permanent. any other suggestions? thanks

P.S. i have some carbon arrow shafts I can cut down for toggles (archery hunter) so thats not a problem.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    building the adjustable loop of the whoopie through the eye of the webbing should not create an issue, IIRC-- its been setup up this way by a few 'old timers' or, err, vets.

there is no real weighted friction that occurs.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I was using the system you propose for a long time. I sew my own loops in the tree straps and when I do, I see the adjustable Whoopie loop into the tree strap loop so that its one piece. I sew a Dutch Clip into the other loop on the tree strap. I larks head the fixed loop of the whoopie onto the hammock.

Since then, I have added a continuous loop of Amsteel which is larks headed into the hammock and I have the fixed loop of the Whoopie attached to that with a Dutch Whoopie hook.

The addition of the continuous loop makes it easier to separate the suspension from the hammock. Sometimes you need to store the two separately because of wetness or pine sap on the suspension. It also allows you to easily transfer the same suspension from one hammock to another (each hammock i make has a continuous loop on each end).

But the main advantage is that I can hang the hammock directly from the continuous loop from the tree strap witha Marlin spike when trees are too close together for the Whoopie sling.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Your idea will certainly work. As the others have said, just watch for wear particularly at the adjustable loop to tree strap connection.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I just sold my whole hammock setup to a buddy of mine, but when I make my next one, I am going to sew my adjustable loop end of the Whoopiesling into a loop on my tree strap to keep it permanent as you suggest, but still use the marlin spike hitch with a toggle for adjustability. There is no reason that would not work since the end of the strap just hangs loose anyway. I also plan on attaching a toggle on a light lanyard onto that same loop that will just swing up and run through the MSH. I use soft shackles instead of Dutch hooks on the tree end of the strap, but it is the same principle. You can't forget your tree straps that way or lose your toggles.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    I am going to sew my adjustable loop end of the Whoopiesling into a loop on my tree strap to keep it permanent as you suggest, but still use the marlin spike hitch with a toggle for adjustability. There is no reason that would not work since the end of the strap just hangs loose anyway.
    This is exactly what I do when the tree spacing it too short for the combined length of the Whoopie plus the tree strap. When even closer spacing is encountered, that's when I ignore the Whoopie altogether and hang the continuous loop on the marlin spike. Then the Whoopie just hangs down out of the way.
    Last edited by MAD777; 04-23-2012 at 13:03.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast