Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro
    Insulation
    CCF Foam
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings

SB Pro Questions

Hey all,

I ordered my first hammock, a GT SB pro, and I love it, but I have a few questions about basic hammock setup.

First, this hammock is wide. I don't really have anything to compare it too, but I feel like it's wider than normal. When I lay in the center, the sides fold up around me like a tortilla, making it funky to lay in. I tried laying at a 30 degree angle, but this didn't help much either. What can I change in my setup to get it to lay flatter?

Also, how would I configure a tarp on this thing? My idea right now is to just hang another line above the mosquito net from tree to tree and string the tarp over that and stake it into the ground. Any suggestion that require less equipment and hardware?

Thanks a lot ya'll. This site rules!

Edit: I should also add that I do not yet have a sleeping pad to use in it. Just my sleeping bag. Maybe a pad will help in keeping it flat?
    Last edited by ThisCarExcessHeight; 04-23-2012 at 13:12.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    The Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Buckle
    Images
    I also have SB Pro and have a similar issue. Looking forward to hearing what others have to say. I did use my new GG pseudo 12x12 tarp in a diamond pattern on a ridgeline above the netting. I'll show a pic when I get home.
    Last edited by BigDog; 04-23-2012 at 15:28.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro
    Insulation
    CCF Foam
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    Bump! I've been looking at tarps, and was thinking a Guide Gear 11x11 would do the trick. Any other suggestions?

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WL3/4 - GoLite TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have a SB Pro which I love.

To make it comfortable and repeatable, I added an adjustable ridge line on the outside of the netting. I started out at 83% that others recommended and dial in from there.

When I first got it my tendency was to set it up too tight. Not only did this make it harder to get a flat lay (lie?), it also made it more difficult to get out of.

My next step will be to move the ARL to the inside of the netting so I can hang an organizer, etc.

btw, the pockets in the netting are useless!

Regarding the tarp (WB Mamajamba), I currently hang a Zing-it! ridge line with continuous loop prusiks and #0 s-biners to attach the tarp. This allows me to easily center the tarp over the hammock.

I'm considering switch to a system like the Hennesy where the tarp attaches directly to the hammock suspension.

Hope this helps
    hammock [ham-uhk] noun
    Man's successful attempt to sleep on a cloud

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    FYI, a lot of people moved away from the 'tie the tarp to the hammock' thing because it makes it hard to have a taught tarp when you're bouncing around in the hammock. Tie the tarp to the tree for tautness.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Yeah the SBPro is a very wide hammock. I tend to lay at a diagonal in my to avoid the sides closing in in me. As far as tarp to go with it, I use either a GT FUNKY FOREST TARP or my ATHH(the All Terrain Hybrid hammock by GT.)
    Chris

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    The Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayDog View Post
    I have a SB Pro which I love.

To make it comfortable and repeatable, I added an adjustable ridge line on the outside of the netting. I started out at 83% that others recommended and dial in from there.

When I first got it my tendency was to set it up too tight. Not only did this make it harder to get a flat lay (lie?), it also made it more difficult to get out of.

My next step will be to move the ARL to the inside of the netting so I can hang an organizer, etc.

btw, the pockets in the netting are useless!

Regarding the tarp (WB Mamajamba), I currently hang a Zing-it! ridge line with continuous loop prusiks and #0 s-biners to attach the tarp. This allows me to easily center the tarp over the hammock.

I'm considering switch to a system like the Hennesy where the tarp attaches directly to the hammock suspension.

Hope this helps
    How did you put the ridgeline on the outside of the netting do you have any pictures? And what length did you end up with on the ridgeline?
    Thanks

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro
    Insulation
    CCF Foam
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    okay thanks for the replies guys. so i can reduce the taco effect by just hanging it looser?

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie w/ toggles
    I have a Kelty Noah 12x12 and it covers my SBP perfectly without having to go diagonal (two trips so far in the rain and been dry both times).

My SBP is very comfortable with a diagonal lay. I too use an ARL inside the mosquito net which gets rid of the need of shock chord to keep the netting up.

Here's a thread where Buffalo Skipper goes through the ARL setup: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=35208

I think there's a thread where Grizzly Adams gives a step by step process too.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WL3/4 - GoLite TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    FYI, a lot of people moved away from the 'tie the tarp to the hammock' thing because it makes it hard to have a taught tarp when you're bouncing around in the hammock. Tie the tarp to the tree for tautness.
    Not a problem, my guy lines are self-tensioning. Zing-it! (love that stuff!) with silicone tubing.

How did you put the ridgeline on the outside of the netting do you have any pictures? And what length did you end up with on the ridgeline?
    When I switched my suspension to Whoopie slings I installed a soft shackle around the suspension then made an adjustable ridge line from Zing-it! (did I say I love that stuff?) on the outside of the netting. Since the netting is so Gi-normous, I run the elastic directly from the loop around my marlin spike and back to the other loop on each end.

Kind of hard to explain. I'm camping this weekend so I'll try to remember to get some pix.

I'll try to measure the ridge line length as well
    Last edited by GrayDog; 05-09-2012 at 20:07.
    hammock [ham-uhk] noun
    Man's successful attempt to sleep on a cloud

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast