Hammock
    1.9 DL Switchback
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n Rings
    If you are just after sway and no pressure points couldn't you just put a memory foam mattress on a bed and then hang the bed from each of its four corners? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems that a trampoline would have a lot more pressure points than a conventional mattress

Hammock
    Floating Bed
    I do not believe that memory foam would erase all pressure points of the bed. But I am not a bed expert. I moved from a futon with thin mattress (huge mistake) --> futon with thicker mattress with springs (even bigger mistake) --> hammock stand (not so bad).

The two things that sets this apart from a hammock is , again, (1) the sway in multiple directions.... not just a straight line. And (2) I can't have a partner in a hammock stand comfortably.

How could this beat a "suspended bed"???

Firstly, the bed likely adds too much inertia and would make it extremely difficult to rock/sway. It could possibly be too heavy to be supported by ceiling structures?? But... most importantly.... a suspended bed will never have the "zero pressure point" effect of a hammock, cot, etc.

A suspended cot would be great, but it wouldn't be THAT much better than a solo hammock stand.

I find it hard to believe that somebody here would seriously suggest a bed with memory foam could be better than something that will have "zero pressure points".

There are many things that are "similar" to this for one or two reasons. But nothing replicates ALL the awesomeness of this design. Other than, hopefully, trampolines!!!

I shot guns instead today, so I'll have to work on those pictures tomorrow.

Hammock
    Floating Bed
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCRed View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something but it seems that a trampoline would have a lot more pressure points than a conventional mattress
    I somehow missed this line.

What trampolines are you on that have pressure points?????

The only possible bit are the springs, which should be removed. Ideally, you'd want an 8 ft ring with the "sheet" from a 10 ft trampoline to take up the slack created from removing the springs. Tie some type of triangles, hooks, whatever into the sheet and wrap it into a few sections I guess.... to make tightening easier.

Really am curious how tightening on the real deal works.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I'd be very interested in your progress and pictures. Sounds like a lot of fun I want our bed gone, but my hubby doesn't want us sleeping separately in hammocks, and I sure the heck don't want smashed together in the same hammock....this would be fun to have in the bedroom and something he'd probably go for. I'm not sure though that it would feel as comfortable as a good hammock though.

Hammock
    Floating Bed
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    I'd be very interested in your progress and pictures. Sounds like a lot of fun I want our bed gone, but my hubby doesn't want us sleeping separately in hammocks, and I sure the heck don't want smashed together in the same hammock....this would be fun to have in the bedroom and something he'd probably go for. I'm not sure though that it would feel as comfortable as a good hammock though.
    Excellent!!!

You'll likely have to wait for SurfinBirdman's build before you see what the trampoline version looks like, as I just can't bring myself to buy a brand new hammock in order to destroy it. Looked on Craigslist, but they're all typically 13 ft or greater. The day that I find a used 8 footer (might have to look in surrounding metro areas, perhaps? ... or put out a WTB post?), I'll hook it up in my room.... just keeping the springs on it. Would be an awful lot like the Zen Bed, or whatever it was called. Just have to find the 8 footer first.

Keep changing plans, so haven't had the opportunity to take pics of the official one, but I'll get around to it.

I think this is the key to the "Re-awakening of the Mayan Spirit in 2012" -- Couples in America suspended by Floating Beds.

Hammock
    Currently ENO Double
    Suspension
    SLS with rings
    So i am going to throw it out there. Is it cool, oh yeah. Would it be relaxing, definitely. But how would you explain to the contractor why there is a massive hole in the ceiling of your bedroom, and your neighbor who has to come and cut you out of the massive entanglement of rope when the $3000 bed hits the floor?

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Would be great in the bedroom. Would be even better if it would fit in a ULA Catalyst.

grndslm, if the circular floating bed design isn't working out. Here's an example of another design idea that may be simpler and cheaper (although maybe less fun too)....

http://www.amazon.com/Hatteras-HHB-O.../dp/B001JJDA3U

One could probably built from an old porch swing.

Hammock
    Floating Bed
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigguy View Post
    So i am going to throw it out there. Is it cool, oh yeah. Would it be relaxing, definitely. But how would you explain to the contractor why there is a massive hole in the ceiling of your bedroom, and your neighbor who has to come and cut you out of the massive entanglement of rope when the $3000 bed hits the floor?
    Why would there be a hole in my ceiling??

Dunno how I'll hang it for sure just yet, but clearly, people do it, as can be seen on the manufacturer's website. I'm thinking about just using a long piece of iron or steel that's long enough to span across 3 or 4 joists. Weld some type of hook to the center and drill some holes that will line up with the joists. Shouldn't be too difficult.

And I don't think that 4 lines of amsteel blue is going to smother anyone.

You have provided me with enough insight to at least pad the bar that's spanning across the 3 or 4 joists with some electrical tape [or duct tape, whatever I can find. THAT would definitelyhurt on the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by ShellD View Post
    Would be great in the bedroom. Would be even better if it would fit in a ULA Catalyst.
    I just saw inflatable kayaks/canoes that can fit [including 4-piece paddles and foot pump] into a backpack!!! If a kayak or canoe can fit in a backpack, then surely somebody can make a portable version of this Floating Bed.

Quote Originally Posted by yogiyoda View Post
    grndslm, if the circular floating bed design isn't working out. Here's an example of another design idea that may be simpler and cheaper (although maybe less fun too)....

http://www.amazon.com/Hatteras-HHB-O.../dp/B001JJDA3U

One could probably built from an old porch swing.
    Meh...
    I found an 8 footer and a 10 footer from the same place (both for $250 brand new), but they're out of stock for the next 2 months. If I can't find something on Craigslist within the next 2 months, I'll buy new at that price. Sucks I have to destroy 2 brand new ones just to make this, but it's like a 90% price cut over the real Floating Bed.

Hammock
    Floating Bed
    Finally had a chance to take some pictures.

It looks less impressive than I had originally pictured in my head, but it still hangs better than the rest.

I'll use chains instead of Amsteel Blue. Just like they use.

They charge $40 to use it all day long, or $20 for half a day.

Even got a video...

ENJOY...

Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast