Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some rather urgent advice

I'm heading out on Saturday for a week-long trip and want to use my Claytor again. After some lessons learned from my first hang, I've redone the hammock and tarp supports so now I have this:

Tree -> 12' Strapworks 1" poly strap held with carabiner -> cinch buckle -> 1/8" Amsteel Blue cord in Prusik knot -> Hammock support channels.

My question is, how should I be attaching the Amsteel cord to the hammock channels? My first guess is from looking at the SLS post, I could just use a double fisherman's bend to make the cord into a loop, and then feed the loop through the channel, and up and over the cinch buckle and cinch it down to the hammock. The other option would be to feed one side of the cord through the channel, and then tie a double fisherman's bend to make it into a loop that is permanently attached to the hammock.

The first way has 2 pieces of cord going through the channels, the second has 1. So I would think the first is stronger. However, the first way cinches the gathered hammock end down tight, whereas the second wouldn't cinch it up nearly as much.

I'm told that the 1/8" amsteel blue cord can hold everything on a single length of cord, so which should I do?

Also, I'm thinking about using a 10' length of the Amsteel Blue 1/8" to make a structural ridgeline on the hammock. What should I tie the ends to? I unfortunately didn't order enough Amsteel Blue to make a SLS, but I will most likely go to that at some point. I'm just going to try the ridgeline once and see how I like it. I would guess I just tie the end to the rope going from my hammock to the cinch buckles, but that is going to pull that rope at a wierd angle I think. I don't think there is enough room to tie it right to the cinch buckles.

Oh, and as an update, I've also replaced the stock rope and knots for the tarp with Excel Pro and Figure 9's.

Thanks!

Oh! and here's a picture from my first hang!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Have a look at this pic. It's where I attached a cinch buckle to an ENO, but the method is just the same.

First make your prussik on the CB, leaving two free ends of cording long enough to go through the channel and tie a knot. Run those two ends of cording through the channel, and then tie both of the ends (as if they were a single strand) back on the standing end of the cord using a bowline knot.

There are other methods, of course, but that way has worked well for me.

Also, when I use a ridgeline, I attach it directly to the cording at the end of the hammock fabric, rather than to the buckle itself.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Noshtero View Post
    I'm heading out on Saturday for a week-long trip and want to use my Claytor again. After some lessons learned from my first hang, I've redone the hammock and tarp supports so now I have this:

Tree -> 12' Strapworks 1" poly strap held with carabiner -> cinch buckle -> 1/8" Amsteel Blue cord in Prusik knot -> Hammock support channels.

My question is, how should I be attaching the Amsteel cord to the hammock channels? My first guess is from looking at the SLS post, I could just use a double fisherman's bend to make the cord into a loop, and then feed the loop through the channel, and up and over the cinch buckle and cinch it down to the hammock. The other option would be to feed one side of the cord through the channel, and then tie a double fisherman's bend to make it into a loop that is permanently attached to the hammock.

The first way has 2 pieces of cord going through the channels, the second has 1. So I would think the first is stronger. However, the first way cinches the gathered hammock end down tight, whereas the second wouldn't cinch it up nearly as much.

I'm told that the 1/8" amsteel blue cord can hold everything on a single length of cord, so which should I do?
    the double cord will increase the surface of fabric under stress in the channel, hence decrease the stress on any particular place where the cord is touching the fabric. Since 1/8" is pretty thin, I'd go that way.

<aside>
    Easier to pop out too, replace the cinch buckle with a pair of rings, replace the webbing with more of your 1/8" Amsteel, and attach to the rings with a garda hitch. After you get tired of lugging that 24' of webbing around.
    </aside>

Also, I'm thinking about using a 10' length of the Amsteel Blue 1/8" to make a structural ridgeline on the hammock. What should I tie the ends to? I unfortunately didn't order enough Amsteel Blue to make a SLS, but I will most likely go to that at some point. I'm just going to try the ridgeline once and see how I like it. I would guess I just tie the end to the rope going from my hammock to the cinch buckles, but that is going to pull that rope at a wierd angle I think. I don't think there is enough room to tie it right to the cinch buckles.
    Another reason to double up the cord through the channel. Go ahead and tie around that double cord. It will bend there, but that's no different than what a knot does, and the double cord helps diffuse the weakening due to the bend. Amsteel Blue is strong stuff. Worry not.

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Thanks AngrySparrow. I needed same info. Picture really helps!

Makes sense. I plan to go to an Amsteel Blue SLS as soon as I get home. I just can't get the shipping turned around by Saturday when I leave. So it's 15 pounds of webbing for me At least this trip is a stationary camp, so I only have to set the hammock up once, and then leave it for a week. Oh, there's a side question: Is there anything wrong with leaving the hammock up for a week of nightly sleeping? Or should I be taking it down every day?

So for this trip. I'll do the first step of the SLS, only with a cinch buckle, and form the Amsteel Blue cord into a loop. Then I'll feed the entire loop through the channel and up over the cinch buckle.

Makes sense on the ridgeline as well.

Thanks! That's kind of the direction I was leaning, but I wanted to check. Double cord makes sense over a single cord.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Oh, there's a side question: Is there anything wrong with leaving the hammock up for a week of nightly sleeping? Or should I be taking it down every day?
    I just did something similar. I was out for four days about two weeks ago. (I'm not sure if your meaning a 5 day week or 7 day week.) I have a DIY, with hopefully LESS qc than your hammock, and it didn't bother it. I did keep it under the tarp all the time and if I had had skins on that trip I would have put the hammock in them, but overall it did fine.
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Images
    Nosh,
    I'm a begiiner also, I have received my JH but not slept in it yet. I have set it up once. My support system is similar to what you described.
    I was wondering about the ridge line, will it be possible to have one with the netting up? Would the netting interfere with the line?
    I am just curious, why did you replace the stock rope on the tarp?

Images
    Most folks think that stock webbing is too thin, stretches too much, and most of all wicks water.

Only time will tell if it is too thin and might break. I have no idea how it is rated load wise.

I personally have not found stretch to be an issue. ( so far, I have changed out one end to 1" polyester webbing and cinch buckle, and have left the other end stock) And it certainly is light enough. But I do worry about it cutting into trees, though I have not yet seen it do this. My son has so far left his stock on both ends and plans to keep it stock.

The big problem is water wicking. I have had some success ( total so far with hose testing) by putting a simple knot on both ends of the channel, but I have not been able to subject it to a nice all night rain yet for testing. So that is still a question mark. But I also worry that the knot ( I guess it is an overhand knot? un-sure what it is called) might reduce the strength on an already marginal looking webbing, later dumping me on the ground. What do ya'll think?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-24-2008 at 22:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Nosh,
    I'm a begiiner also, I have received my JH but not slept in it yet. I have set it up once. My support system is similar to what you described.
    I was wondering about the ridge line, will it be possible to have one with the netting up? Would the netting interfere with the line?
    I am just curious, why did you replace the stock rope on the tarp?
    I just toyed around with a ridgeline last night. I don't have anything at my house sturdy enough to hang my weight from, but I can hang the hammock just to see how it looks.

I'm digging the ridge line. I can pull the straps tight, and still have sag in the hammock. I can't figure out how to get a sagging hammock WITHOUT a ridgeline, actually. In my mind, SOMETHING has to be pulled tight. It's either going to be the hammock or the ridgeline.

In response to your question, it appears the ridge line is high enough that the bug net should be ok. I'm betting the bug net will be damned close to, if not touching the ridgeline though, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Yes I replaced the stock rope on the tarp with Marlow Pro Excel 2mm line. I don't know if you really need to though. I mean, everyone replaces the support webbing because it's like a sponge for water. I don't really see a problem with the little ropes they provide for the tarp though. If nothing else, Pro Excel is thinner, lighter, and stiffer. Since I'm already using pro excel to hand some stuff sacks off of, I figured I'd just get some extra and replace the tarp ropes. Then I can say I'm only using 2 different kinds of rope in the whole setup.

I leave tomorrow. I'll put a nice review of how the hammock worked out when I get back. If all goes well, I'll have 8 consecutive nights in it

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I can't figure out how to get a sagging hammock WITHOUT a ridgeline, actually.
    Raise your supports up on the tree. The steeper angle will help you achieve more sag.

We'll all be looking forward to a trip report, and thoughts on what you learn, after the trip!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast