WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)

Using the trucker's hitch on my new HH

Just got my new expedition today and I've got it set up with a truckers hitch going through the loops on the tree huggers and using a slippery half hitch in the bite to tie itself back to. (basically what I've seen here, but with a slippery hitch instead of a ring) After some testing this afternoon, it seems to be holding fine. I'm going to sleep in it tonight, so I'll let you know if it holds through some sleeping. I know most of you guys are using the whoopie slings, but if anyone is interested, I can take some pics or a short vid of how I set it up (if it holds of course)

Is there a benefit to using a ring? (just seemed like something extra to keep up with?)

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I do not believe that a truckers hitch

serves any good purpose for hanging hammocks.

Are you using it to put high tension on the hammock? I used to hang my HH under tension, but then I learned about the 30 degree rule to make the body hang looser and increase comfort. A rule of thumb: If the HH is strung so tightly that the bottom entry is difficult to access, then you need to back off the tension. Of course, if you have a zip model this won't apply.

I personally would not use a ring buckle system with the HH stock ropes. I tried it, but I didn't like the way the SMC rings squashed the suspension ropes. I have heard reports of the sheath rupturing with a ring buckle setup as well. YMMV.

While slow to tie and slow to adjust the HH hitch actually works pretty well IMO. But if you want to convert to web and buckle or whoopie suspension, Paul at AHE cn set you up. The conversion from stock HH lines is actually pretty easy.

Jim

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    My first hammock was a HH. Before I ever hung it, I traded out the suspension for Whoopies and tree straps. I'm not a fan of knots in a hammock suspension.
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwil3 View Post
    Just got my new expedition today and I've got it set up with a truckers hitch going through the loops on the tree huggers and using a slippery half hitch in the bite to tie itself back to. (basically what I've seen here, but with a slippery hitch instead of a ring) After some testing this afternoon, it seems to be holding fine. I'm going to sleep in it tonight, so I'll let you know if it holds through some sleeping. I know most of you guys are using the whoopie slings, but if anyone is interested, I can take some pics or a short vid of how I set it up (if it holds of course)

Is there a benefit to using a ring? (just seemed like something extra to keep up with?)
    Sure, give us a couple of pics!

One reason to use biners or rings is to cut down on friction from rope on rope or webbing contact. There can be some pretty good friction with your weight in the hammock. Still, I used just a bowline on my Claytor for a long time, and ran the webbing back through that, before paranoia caused me to add a biner. And I have used stock HH rope/webbing for years with no problems yet.

But get this, on a trip last fall to the Sawtooths, I loaned a Super Shelter to my friends son. I was helping him set it up and noticed he was tieing a taught line hitch on the HH ropes! It held him all week! ( he doesn't weigh much though ) Ever since then I've been meaning to try it myself.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Well, I stayed off the gound all night. I thought that a rolling hitch would be cool to use, but I read that they won't hold?? I may try it just to see what happens. I'll take some pics when I get home and post 'em up. I'm trying to avoid any extra gear, so I'd like to stick with knots if I can hold out.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    The stock Hennessy line holds knots pretty well, so anything that doesn't roll or slip should be okay. Just be sure to hang over stuff you don't mind falling on to if it doesn't hold...

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    serves any good purpose for hanging hammocks.

Are you using it to put high tension on the hammock? I used to hang my HH under tension, but then I learned about the 30 degree rule to make the body hang looser and increase comfort. A rule of thumb: If the HH is strung so tightly that the bottom entry is difficult to access, then you need to back off the tension. Of course, if you have a zip model this won't apply.

Jim
    Thanks for this information. I noticed that my rl was pretty tight last night...I'm pretty sure I wasn't putting my tree huggers high enough on the tree. Been doing quite a bit of research this morning and I think I'll try the suggested knot for the HH.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I broke a ridgeline on my HH

by stringing the hammock too tightly. Yep, better to go high on the trees with your huggers.

Experimenting is rewarding. I like to learn through my mistakes!

Jim

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwil3 View Post
    Thanks for this information. I noticed that my rl was pretty tight last night...I'm pretty sure I wasn't putting my tree huggers high enough on the tree. Been doing quite a bit of research this morning and I think I'll try the suggested knot for the HH.
    Even though you are using a trucker's hitch, it doesn't mean you have to pull the RL extra tight. For me, if the RL is more or less straight after you get in, then that means the ends of the hammock are separated by the distance that HH has deemed correct. You won't really get them any further apart unless you manage to stretch the RL, which you can do with enough force. Stretch or even break it.

Still, T, Hitch or whatever, all you have to do is pull on it enough to straighten the RL and tie it off there. If you get in and there is much sag in the RL, especially if it is allowing the net to hang in your face, then you might want to tighten it up a tad more, other wise your good to go.

Once, using a Hitchcraft device, without even realizing I was tightening it all that much, I pulled the RL tight enough that it was noticeably uncomfortable. Quickly loosened it up and all was good, lucky I didn't break it.

Some have reported increased comfort with the RL actually hanging a tad loose. Others like it nice and taught. But for me I can def go to tight for comfort. I think the directions said "pull moderately tight" when using the HH lashing.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Well, I did some more testing yesterday and I'd like to report that the Rolling Hitch held just fine. I will most likely be using it from now on. Will wet weather affect the holding ability of the knot?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast