Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I like to take lots of amsteel. It's lighter and more versatile than straps. Hon up on some good knots. No need to weigh your pack down with hardware.
    You can always find items to use as nuts.
    I would also think about what you might take if you have to go to ground because there is just nothing to work with.
    hth
    After thinking about it for a while, you have the most versatile answer. In theory, a rock on the end of the line could be used as a nut, or the line could be run around the boulder. I suppose that if you were very knowledgeable of a trail, you could optimize the hardware. But, when it’s an unknown situation, the most flexible solution is probably the one to go with. Nothing is going to work 100% of the time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Armadillo View Post
    After thinking about it for a while, you have the most versatile answer. In theory, a rock on the end of the line could be used as a nut, or the line could be run around the boulder. I suppose that if you were very knowledgeable of a trail, you could optimize the hardware. But, when it’s an unknown situation, the most flexible solution is probably the one to go with. Nothing is going to work 100% of the time.
    What is the possibility, or at least likelihood, of pulling a boulder loose and down onto you? Obviously most cliff walls and maybe really big boulders are not going to budge. But we are also talking about a boulder small enough to get some rope or webbing around. And I suppose at least some boulders could be precariously balanced?

This is at Texas Lake at the foot of Texas Pass in the Wind Rivers, WY:

The trees were not a very long hike ( under normal healthy conditions) back down the trail ( ~ 1-2 miles) from where I had come. Or preferably, maybe an hour or two ( 1-1.5 miles as the crow flys, but a steep boulder filled ~ 800 ft climb followed by a 1400 ft descent) to where I wanted to camp and where I had been headed for. Which was here:

Normally I would just push on to where the trees were, or maybe even go back the way I came for a nice comfy sleep. But due to altitude sickness, and the fact that it was getting dark, neither was an attractive option. So it seemed better and easier to just use the pads I had with me and lay down and crash, than to try and find a place to hang from those boulders. But I can see where sometimes a couple of boulders might provide some good- and even safe - options.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-30-2012 at 11:27.

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I really like this idea of hiking to the tree's. It's much safer.
    Lightning is the #3 killer in CO.

hth
    So what's number 1 and 2?
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

The safety of any tie off point must be considered be it tree or rock. Yes, it would suck to pull a boulder over on you when you lay down in the hammock. It would suck for a tree limb to drop off on you, too. In the end, you do what you have to do and if that’s going to ground because there wasn’t an acceptable to place to hang, then so be it. At this point, I’m thinking in terms of the boulders in the Alabama Hills, east of Mt. Whitney. They are large and many are ground based and not stacked. Tying off to such a rock should work. When you introduce jam nuts, cams, or a line, you would have to make sure that the hardware wasn’t going to cause the rocks to come crashing down on you at some point.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12