Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hanging above timberline

Okay, first the disclaimer: this topic may have been covered and I just couldn’t find it. But going forward anyway –

If you were planning a trip along a trail, such as the Colorado Trail, that passes above the timberline, what extra suspension gear would you take? It seems to me that having enough extra line to use to tie off to a stick (if available) spanning two boulders might be important, and then there is the option of taking a couple of stopper nuts with cables and attaching the suspension to them. I suppose that in some cases, you could tie around the circumference of a boulder if the dimensions were right.

I feel sure there is someone in the forum that has done this. What do you think?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    If there was large boulders available I'd look for a crack to slip in a cam, a spare set of straps and of course, climbing rated biners.
    It's Colorado, theres bound to be a few boulders about, but you'd be limited...

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Images
    I like to take lots of amsteel. It's lighter and more versatile than straps. Hon up on some good knots. No need to weigh your pack down with hardware.
    You can always find items to use as nuts.
    I would also think about what you might take if you have to go to ground because there is just nothing to work with.
    hth

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

compare kits

The gear needed to sleep on the ground needs to be compared to the gear needed to hang. The extreme example is that my hammock stand weighs 44 pounds v. an 8.7 oz. NeoAir.

There is one part of the Colorado Trail that stays above timberline for 31 miles. But if the weather is bad then you should drop to below timberline to sleep anyhow. Sometimes I plan to sleep above timberline, but have the option of dropping into the trees for bad weather.

The desert is a different problem. The trees may not be big enough or close enough to hang. I carry two 30' pieces of webbing and a cam (18.4 oz.) I have always been able to find a place to hang, but if you are with a group you may not be able to hang close to each other.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've hiked all but a handful of segments of the Colorado Trail. I've never had to sleep above treeline. There have been a few times I've choose to sleep up there, but don't think it's required. As food said, there is one long stretch above treeline, but the treeline isn't a long detour.

I've used climbing gear to hang near the top of 14ers. Lot of extra weight to carry on a thru. Much easier to walk down to camp, then back up in the morning when you find yourself above treeline at bedtime.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I've hiked all but a handful of segments of the Colorado Trail. I've never had to sleep above treeline. There have been a few times I've choose to sleep up there, but don't think it's required. As food said, there is one long stretch above treeline, but the treeline isn't a long detour.

I've used climbing gear to hang near the top of 14ers. Lot of extra weight to carry on a thru. Much easier to walk down to camp, then back up in the morning when you find yourself above treeline at bedtime.
    I really like this idea of hiking to the tree's. It's much safer.
    Lightning is the #3 killer in CO.

There is nothing spookier than feeling the hair on your arms rise when hiking above TL with no safe place in sight.
    Crossing early morning or late evening highly recommended.
    Never mid day to early evening.

hth

Quote Originally Posted by Shnick View Post
    If there was large boulders available I'd look for a crack to slip in a cam, a spare set of straps and of course, climbing rated biners.
    It's Colorado, theres bound to be a few boulders about, but you'd be limited...

Shnick
    Do you have any idea about what size cams or nuts would be appropriate? I know you can’t plan for all contingencies, but can assumptions be made as to which size (s) to take? Hiking down to the tree line would probably be the easiest solution in some cases and may be a good solution in CO. But to expand the question a little more, I have packed into places in the southern Sierra Nevada’s where there weren’t any trees and the tree line was prohibitively far away. So, for that reason I’d like to at least work out the logistics of using hardware/boulder setups.

in the bad old days, before cams,jam nuts, and such... climbers used rocks. trouble is that they are a bit harder to position and use, and absolutely, no one will be impressed at that type of safty gear...but it works and weighs nothing in your backpac and is always there on site waiting for you to pick up. if i were to pack anything extra, it would be.... mule tape i'm with outnback
    Last edited by the_gr8t_waldo; 04-27-2012 at 13:32.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    A medium sized tricam and a smaller big bro might give you a lot of options.

Okay, thanks for the help.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast