Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Not Shug but part of the answer. Live in places with minimal poisonous bugs. A lot of the camping practices here are more or less area specific. Few snakes and bugs in the frozen north. The warmer it gets the more things seem to bite or sting so the more one needs to take precautions.

FWIW it's easy to DIY a gear hammock that will live under your tarp. Use a small rope to pull it off to one side and it's possible to sit in the hammock with "stuff" within easy reach. Follow any of the basic hammock directions here and adjust the size. You also might find this interesting:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=SteelerNation
    thanks mate it is something that im considering and i'll have to work on it though. The other thing with the gear loft/gear underhammock though is getting enough elevation off the ground to keep it off the ground as well, just a few things ive got to work on cheers
    Clark NX-250, Warbonnet Superfly, Custom made Down, Underground Underquilt. DIY Suspension & Continuous Ridgeline.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    I miss that special zen-like moment when I break camp, clear the kids' gear from the family tent, only to discover they have dragged half of the dirt, bugs, pebbles, and pine needles from our campsite into said family tent.

I miss the yearly flash of inspiration I receive when I decide to simply pick the thing up, turn it upside down, and shake all of the aforementioned crud back into our campsite (I feel bad taking that much of a national forest with me).

I miss the yearly opportunity to resolve never to tilt a tent upside down and shake all the crud out, when I KNOW (just like Charlie Brown knows that Lucy is going to pull the football away at the last minute) that the wind will pick up or change direction, and blow all the aforementioned crud in my face.

I miss the bewildered look of dissappointment on the Missus' face as she witnesses this act, yet again.

I miss the cute, condescending way the Missus says "Well, there's always NEXT year," as I fall to the ground, brushing the crud from my eyes, spitting it from my mouth, and blowing it out of my nostrils... with the tent on top of me.
    ha ha, have you got the whole family in hammocks then?
    Clark NX-250, Warbonnet Superfly, Custom made Down, Underground Underquilt. DIY Suspension & Continuous Ridgeline.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Camper; here's a link to Jeff's gear sling sold by Jacks r better

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/JGHPC.htm
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    When I set up my hammock it is usually too close to the ground for a gear sling or gear hammock underneath..more the MAD777 approach, most everything in the pack is 'in use' and the pack can now hang on the new Dutch 'trees'-don't know what their real name is but it holds my pack and various other stuff sacks.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Camper; here's a link to Jeff's gear sling sold by Jacks r better

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/JGHPC.htm
    thats fantastic, love the versatility of use and the rain proofing, only down side is....my life must be in camo lol...mossy green may have to be a compromise though lol cheers again mate i'll have a good think

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    When I set up my hammock it is usually too close to the ground for a gear sling or gear hammock underneath..more the MAD777 approach, most everything in the pack is 'in use' and the pack can now hang on the new Dutch 'trees'-don't know what their real name is but it holds my pack and various other stuff sacks.
    same here mate, BUT, dont like hanging my pack on the tree, 1) its not accessible enough, 2) bugs live in trees and may get into my pack and 3) i like to keep it out of the elements with me.

the last option i like a lot, just that im going to have to look at weight on my hammock and or trying to disperse the weight over some distance if it goes on my ridgline so i dont have one point of drop too much and or adding another ridgline or tye point, lots of thinking, cheers

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    whhhooo! Jacks R Better, ive just taken the plunge!!! large Mossy Green Jeff's gear Hammock/Pack Cover....lets see how she fairs...thanks all for your much appreciated and expert advice...cheers Doz

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I usually hang my pack on a Pack leash. Can be seen at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwuKSl7esTo
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Not sure but I'm thinking Shug won't win any good hammockkeeping awards!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Usually my pack is empty and I hang it on the suspension or sometimes on the ridgeline. Otherwise, lay it on a piece of plastic with the pack cover over it.

There's not much I miss about tent camping. Since I was a wee child, I have never been a creature of habit. I sleep when I want, eat when I want, and basically have no routine.

This drives routine-minded people crazy - especially my wife. Ten pm comes and she says, "time to go to bed." When 5:30 am rolls around, "time to wake up." When you're sharing a tent with a routine-minded person, it causes conflict. They go to bed at ten, but when you enter the tent at midnight, you wake them up and they get pissed.

Hammocks eliminate all that crap. I can go to sleep when I want, wake up when I want, make a cup of cocoa when I want, read a book when I want, and I don't have to worry about disturbing anyone, or anyone disturbing me.

I don't know if it's a genetic thing, but all three of my kids are the same as me - they have no use for routines. Drives my wife up the wall. Her entire family follows a set routine and she thinks me and my kids are the devil's spawn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast