Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images

Lake Santeetlah Paddle/Camp

I headed out on Thursday night right after work to drive the 3 hours to the Campground at Cheoah Point. Islander had already arrived there early that morning. I got there right at dark/30 as usual. With a little help from Islander with his incredibly bright flashlight (what was that thing?) he helped me get set up down in the woods. It was a really nice place with good bathrooms & hot showers! I pulled out my Bushbuddy and fixed a little coffee to wind down a bit before heading to my hammock.
    The next morning I woke up to a beautiful morning..

After breakfast and packing up we decided to drive up to Deals Gap to maybe grab a BBQ and look who we found!
    Rain Man & Stitch had just finished their lunch and they told us the line had gotten really long right after they got there. So we decided to wing it and have our packed lunches instead. We headed straight to the boat ramp and started loading then shoved off about 2:00. We paddled past many beautiful homes and beautiful scenery too!

We checked out a couple of possible camping spots and after a lot of exploring Islander finally found us one!

After getting our rigs set up we settled into cooking dinner. We had charcoal so Steaks and Brats were thrown onto the barbie!

The second day we decided to tour the rest of the lake and to go to the opposite boat dock and check out the District Rangers Station, which was closed, but we saw enough of it to see it was a very nice facility. All day long clouds rolled in & out and storms threatened. We could hear thunder in the distance but we didn't get anything more than sprinkles and short intervals of passing rain clouds. We were on the LUCKY side of the lake I think!

After we got back it was show & tell time inspecting each others rigs. I don't have a pic but Rain Man had a really cool level on his ridge-line that I will be looking for in the mason line section of Home Depot. I got to show off my new custom made hammock by Detail Man in digital camo. And Stitch really liked my Molly Mac Hammock Sock. Islander had his Switchback under a Macat Deluxe and he let me try it out. When I'm ready to buy another hammock it will be one of those!!! It was so comfortable and flat! Rain Man was in his Hennessy with a Macat Deluxe and Stitch had an ENO Double Nest and a "Neo" Guide Gear 9x9 Camo. And yes my tarp is yet again another Macat but the Ultra model with the pole mod added.
    We had a fire the whole time as I brought some firewood from the wood shop and the Bob's Quick Saw. The fellows had a good time with it I think because we left a lot of cut wood for the next campers!

The next day was a little cooler and it was dropping in degree every moment. We packed up early and headed back. But the weather was rolling in so we had a strong headwind all the way back. Dipping in behind the points to get a break from the constant battering was giving me a break during the 4-1/2 mile passage back to the vehicles. Rain Man & Stitch decided it was best for them to stop at the Marina and have one of us come back for them in a vehicle. It was because their short boats with no skirts were getting pushed around a bit and water was being blown across their bows at times. Islander & I busted our tails to get back in record time. By the time we reached shore I was cold and anxious to get on the dry clothes that were waiting for me in my car. I also had packed a shower bag and when we all got loaded up we went back to Cheoah Point to get cleaned up. That was a highlight of the day too!
    But I think what topped the day off was the stop at the Carolina Kitchen in Robbinsville for Barbecue, Local Caught Trout and Deep Fried Oreos! "Yeah Honey... I Looove the South"!

I want to thank everyone for coming and making the trip a success. And I want to especially thank Rain Man for letting me borrow his pics to write this report. If you want to see his whole album go HERE.

Cakes
    Last edited by L.D. Cakes; 04-25-2012 at 07:09.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Looks like you guys had a great time. Wish I could have made it. Going to make one of these sooner or later. Great pics too.

Jason

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Wow! That looked like a nice paddle! Some pretty scenery up there. Thanks for the trip report. Looked like y'all didn't get too cold!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Great report, Cakes! Glad that final pic, of the deep-fried Oreos, turned out so well. YUMMY!

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Looks very very relaxing....I think i would've like this trip.
    Open fires, good scenery, good company, good food.....looks too good.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Great trip report, great scenery.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Looks like a great time! Wonderful pics, and amazing close-ups...

Thanks!

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HNO Sock
    Insulation
    HG/HNO/UGQ
    Suspension
    Not Lately
    Images
    Thanks for the report and pictures! Looks like a great place to paddle.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Thanks for the pictures. Makes me wish I wasn't sitting behind a desk right now...

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Great trip report and pics. I wish I could have gone, but hopefully sometime later this year the hubby and I will make it up there. Looks like you all had a wonderful time, and I am glad the weather held off for you all.
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast