Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by russelj2 View Post
    I tried to set up my ENO at one of the camps on the Suwannee Wilderness Trail here in Florida this past weekend. The camp host told me it was not allowed. When I quoted (not verbatim) this posting, he called his manager who told him that no hammocks could be tied to native vegetation, even if we were using bark-safe straps. They do have hammock hooks inside the screen rooms (pic attached), which is nice, but they don't allow dogs in there. So I can camp in the screen rooms and leave my dog at home, OR take my dog and sleep in a tent in one of their BEAUTIFUL riverside backpack sites (pic attached).

I'd rather be able to take my dog and hammock and sleep on the limestone bluffs above the river. I'll contact the guy listed above and post later what the response is. For those of you who kayak and hang, the Suwannee is a trip you cannot miss and these river camps are awesome.
    Those screen rooms awesome. How do I get more info about camping there?

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by domromer View Post
    Those screen rooms awesome. How do I get more info about camping there?
    http://www.floridastateparks.org/wil...rivercamps.cfm
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Afternoon Update

I wanted to share the very positive responses I received in regards to the Suwannee area.

From Mr. Madden...
    I spoke with both the park manager of the Suwannee River Wilderness Trail (SRWT) and also the Assistant Chief for our Northeast District. Hammocks are permitted at the campgrounds along the trail. In addition to the shelters, each campground has five primitive campsites. Hammock use is allowable only within these campsites and the shelters. Pets are certainly welcome on these primitive campsites – just not in the shelters.

The SRWT was offering hammock opportunities within the shelters long before we began the hammock pilot program for all state parks. We are excited to now also allow hammocks in the designated primitive campsites.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention, and let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.
    And from the park's manager...
    We want apologize for any misunderstanding that may have occurred. We felt that we were ahead of the trend by allowing hammock camping in our sleeping shelters. The blogger you quoted brings up some valid points that I will address. We support hammock camping and simply hadn’t considered the dog and shelter rule. I do have Camp Host that come and go I will ensure that they are all brought up to date regarding us being hammock friendly even in our primitive sites. The blogger didn’t speak to management regarding this issue. I have investigated and feel one of my staff may have mis-spoken with the blogger and wasn’t aware of the issue with the dog in the shelter. Here nor there, Hammock campers should feel welcome to camp in either the shelters or the primitive sites where adequate anchor trees are located. We hope you have a great paddle.
    I really think the state is supporting this initiative. Let's make sure we clear the way before our trips to mitigate issues like this and definitely fill out the surveys.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Thanks again for all you do for us, JaxHiker!

BTW, someone has done a real nice job of clearing/maintaining the FT down around Rice Creek shelter. Looks great.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    You know, I have to say; being a half a world away, I am still very interested in this topic on HF. I can only imagine the amount of work jaxhiker and his contact with the state must have gone through, and continue to go through in efforts to bring this hobby in to light in the eyes of the Florida state parks. I can only hope that all who follow and hang in the fl state parks will obey the laws and allow this to continue in your state once this pilot period is over. My personal opinions aside, it is a wonderful program that was set up and I wish you all the best with it. And if it doesn't go through, jax you should still be allowed because of your efforts....
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I appreciate the kind words guys. I can't take all the credit, though. samsara and others have worked hard and I see this as a team effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Thanks again for all you do for us, JaxHiker!
    BTW, someone has done a real nice job of clearing/maintaining the FT down around Rice Creek shelter. Looks great.
    Thanks for the info. I'll let them know. Always nice to get reports from people that are using the Trail!
    Last edited by JaxHiker; 12-12-2012 at 21:25.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Black Wolf and I just got back from a night at Blackwater River State Park. They sunk a trio of 6x6 poles along the back corner of the parking pad. It wasn't exactly primitive camping but the location was great (just a few sites down from the bath house). Overall the staff was very supportive and didn't seem put-out at all about installing the posts or answering questions. Let's keep it up....we seem to be making some headway.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the update! Don't forget the survey!
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA

yay congrats to all yall FL Hangers

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    I am hoping to hammock next week on vacation so I contacted Mr. Madden and got the following reply.

It’s great to hear of your interest in hammock camping in Florida State Parks! I have recently changed positions, and Patrick Bateman (copied) is now the primary point of contact for our hammock camping pilot program.

Patrick will contact the park to see if any of the available campsites or primitive areas are suitable for hammocks, and then he’ll get back in touch with you as soon as possible.

Should we be able to accommodate your request, Patrick will also provide you a link to our online survey. We’re using the survey results as part of our decision making process on whether to offer hammock camping on a permanent basis.
    I have not heard back from Mr. Bateman, but the email address copied is [email protected]

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast