Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    don't get discouraged at my generic statement! the hammock takes time to find
    how it best works for you.

some can't find comfort in a wbbb, but do awesome in the big HH models. some have found nirvana in the bridge hammock.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Methinks little adjustments here there will get rid of the heal pressure.
    I've slept the last 4 days in a Blackbird with no heel pressure or calf ridge.
    When I get in I'm fully asym swearing I'm lying flat, flat enough to use a Kelty
    backpack pillow in it.
    My current complain ~and this is just a weird me thing~ is that the medial malleous/tibialis posterior touch each. My feet are lying perfectly side by side to each other. Now I've been WBs for years now and it took a bit for me to figure out why...it's because I'm using it inside now, historically the Blackbird would be outside where I'd be wearing socks or booties and that little bit would keep the insides of my heels from touching. Not that big of a deal but it just feels weird to me to have them touch each other.
    Plus one on the Thermarest Sit Pad...too many good uses for this item and like others mine is in the footbox for insulating those same heels. I keep it on the outside of the pack for break time. Suprised it hasn't punctured of the years.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I found that hanging the foot end about 6" higher (or more) helps a lot...

You can also reduce your diagonal by shifting your butt toward the footbox side a few inches... helped me on my DIY...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I had an old mylar windshield shade that needed to be thrown out, so I tried it as a pad. First of all, I can't believe how well these work, and comfortable! Not going to replace my UQ, but nice to know it works for 3-4oz!

Back to the ridge/heel issue - the shade really helps. I didn't want yet another item to carry around, but I think I'll cut this down to 18x24" or something like that so it can line the back of my pack. (I refuse to have anything strapped outside)

I was really stoked after my first few test hangs, but realized the sleep wasn't so great and the comfort declined. My manager just commented that I looked a little pale and sick...lack of sleep. I'll limit my tests to the weekends, so tonight I'll give it another try. I promised myself I wouldn't give up so quick this time, but the fiddle factor and troubleshooting has increased exponentially since moving from the tent, which bothers me. To be honest, I just bought an MSR Hubba ...SORRY! Both systems are about the same weight, so I think I'll keep both and just decide on a trip-by-trip basis which way to camp. Hopefully I'll iron out the wrinkles and use my hammock most of the time.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Keep tweaking and hopefully you will find your sweet spot. If not, I recommend you go to a local hang and check out other hammocks to see if you can find one that suits you better. This will save you some money, and you won't have any trouble selling the WBBB, if you find another hammock that you are more comfortable with. Don't give up on hammocks.
    "No whining in the woods"

Two Words

Bridge Hammock

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i sleep less hours in the hammock- (wake up a few times during the night)---
    but face the next day with no pain associated with ground sleeping, and feeling much more alert and refreshed.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    yeah,, this is the issue with gathered ends it seems. not sure any model / manufact. solves it.

probably why the for sale forum is so active here.
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    That's too bad I don't think I'll be so quick to sell this time around, but may have to look at lightening my load with a lighter tent. Ohhhhhhhhh man!

Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    Bridge Hammock
    DH, you beat me to it! I could not help but think: hmmm, heel pressure, calf pressure, knee discomfort and/or side hitch. Solution to all? Bridge! Maybe not quite as nice in the shoulders, but it is that other stuff that bothers me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I found that hanging the foot end about 6" higher (or more) helps a lot...

You can also reduce your diagonal by shifting your butt toward the footbox side a few inches... helped me on my DIY...

John
    I have only had the heel pressure one time, and I can not remember which hammock, other than it was NOT my JRB. But these 2 tips plus something under the knees sound promising to me.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm heading out in the back yard to try it again tonight. Spent hours after work trying to get it adjusted and comfortable but I was about to scream I was so uncomfortable and frustrated. Just about to give up

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I'm heading out in the back yard to try it again tonight. Spent hours after work trying to get it adjusted and comfortable but I was about to scream I was so uncomfortable and frustrated. Just about to give up
    I can certainly understand the frustration of not being able to get a new piece of gear to work for you the way everyone says it should. I encourage you to not give up as the large amount of fiddling also means a much steeper learning curve than ground sleeping.

But in the end it is okay if you decide that you are a tenter and not a hanger. We might just ridicule you a bit is all.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast