WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    What fronkey said... the outer fabric is larger so the ends won't be compressed. Center the inner fabric on the outer, sew your baffles in. The on the ends, parallel to the noseeum, sew the ends together. You should have a few inches extra on the gray to make the open tube.

Then pick a side and sew it together... i expect that part to be the trickiest, as you're trying to seal the side. I would not worry about completely sealing between each tube.

Next: hang , fill, clothespin each baffle once filled, and sew.... if you are using grosgrain, you can add it after the quilt is sewn.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Maybe I'm stating the obvious since it didn't read all the posts.

It's a differential UQ, so the outer side gray is forming a larger semi circle than the inside black.

The baffles are radial, meaning radiating out from the center of the circle (think a whole pizza sliced up, but still whole). The crust of the pizza is the outer shell, and the baffles are the slice lines. They will be spaced closer on the inner shell than the outer shell.

The left over fabric around the perimeter is to "box" the edges of the quilt and form the 2 outside chambers. They form the boxing (that if rigid) would be equal to the baffle height. Obviously, its not rigid so they will take on a natural curve from
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nacra533; 04-25-2012 at 12:20.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Images
    What nacra said! Well explained and illustrated!

As shown in his illustration, the lighter fabric layer must be significantly larger than the black inner layer. This is because the lighter fabric is used to make up the side walls and end walls of your quilt.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    My gray width is 47 with seam allowance, the black is 60 with seam allowance. I just cut with the UQ calculator told me to. I should have realized that it didn't do enough on my black. That would explain yesterdays panic when I only had 7 baffles instead of 8. That 8th one is figured in on the gray....it is not on the black.

I really do think I'm going to have to add a section of fabric to the black so that my finished size isn't too small. It's already going to be to short a bit, but the width would be considerable.

I think the spread sheet is off some where. I don't know what the master numbers should be, but I went back to it, and plugged everything in again, it it still comes up with the measurements that I have....which is clearly not right.
    Last edited by DivaB; 04-25-2012 at 19:51. Reason: I said that half assed backwards...the gray is bigger

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Images
    The length of baffles is determined by the finished length of the quilt plus whatever extra that you will tuck into the seams. That length should be marked on both sides of the fabric, then the baffles are sewn to all the lines and they should be just fine.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Images
    As to width, my UQ's are all 40" wide when finished and I weigh 200 pounds and find them entirely adequate.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Diva,

Is this a layout problem? Deciding how to position the baffles? Sounds like width minus hem allowance divided by 9 (for 8 baffles). Same for inner as the outer shell. I don't know if it's usual to mark on the fabric for layout but my carpenters mind goes to that. Might even use tape for layout marks.

David

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I just cut off that extra amount, and now have a "sort-of" 3" of extra gray material all the way around the inner black material on all 4 sides. I'm just trying to figure out how to sew that now . This is one hell of a project!

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    My last tarp used the dimensions below when I made it. I didn't use a spreadsheet???. I am 6'-2" and have fairly broad shoulders. 46 coat size. This fits me fine. Looks like your measurements are close.

Inner liner 45 wide x 52 long
    Outer shell 57 wide x 59 long
    Baffles on liner are on 6" spacing roughly. I made them work out relatively evenly, within 1/2 " or so. I had an extra inch in there and just spaced last baffles a little wider.
    Baffles on shell are on 8" spacing roughly.
    7 baffles, 2" baffles
    Liner and shell are darted in each baffle on head and foot end to create shape.

Gather fabric when stitching top to bottom. Make marks, say 1/4, center, and 3/4 on liner and shell. Make these marks line up when sewing by gathering the shell to fit the liner.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Heck, out of all of my DIY that I've done, this is by far the suckiest! Why I choose to do 3 UQ, I have no idea. Is it saving me $100 on each UQ, yes...but the frustration??? Where and how do you put a price on that? I'd probably handle this much better had I not left myself 4 days to get it all done by. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! I am, and have been majorly kicking myself in the butt for this one...or three!

I appreciate the spreadsheet, but for me, I think I would have been better off drawing up something of my own and going for it. I seem to do better that way than trying to follow others successes, which I tend to fail miserably at. I'll take pictures....when I finally get to that point.....if I'm not to embarrassed about it.

Ok, self pity party is done, I'm going back at it. Next post will be positive, hopefully.