WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    guessing you read the consumer reports article on insect repellent, and that sawyer 20% picaridin was their recommended pick? i have the exact same thing from amazon showing up today too.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Old thread, but anyone know where I can get the little 0.5oz bottle of the Sawyer Picaridin locally? Buying it online is cheap but shipping costs make it a bit silly to do so.

I'm going to try Dicks Sporting Goods today. I didn't see it at Meijer. I also have a Walmart and Target nearby to try.

Nevermind, I just checked online and they show it in stock, ready for pickup! I want to get a few bottles since it has a 10-year shelf life and I won't have to worry about wasting it if I don't use it much.
    I actually picked up the 0.5 oz spray bottle of it yesterday at REI.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I buy the individually foil packed Picardin wipes. I purchase them online in a box full at a time. Super lightweight option. I pack enough to use two per day. I don't even know of they are there in my pack hip belt.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 10.5'
    Tarp
    Anything Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    guessing you read the consumer reports article on insect repellent, and that sawyer 20% picaridin was their recommended pick? i have the exact same thing from amazon showing up today too.
    Not sure if it was that report, but I probably came across that while searching online. It was mainly the HUGE amount of positive reviews online. Nothing works for me, mosquitoes LOVE me. But I'm just so frustrated by that fact that I'm willing to try again. Going to use this on skin plus permethrin on clothing and go to the nastiest place I can find around town to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I buy the individually foil packed Picardin wipes. I purchase them online in a box full at a time. Super lightweight option. I pack enough to use two per day. I don't even know of they are there in my pack hip belt.
    That sounds like a nice option, but wipes always scare me since you can't really ration them out. Once you use it, it's all or nothing.

I bought a container of the lotion for topical application and a container of the spray for spritzing clothes off of Amazon. I was sitting in my drive watching my kids play yesterday evening and was absolutely getting destroyed from the knees down. I applied the lotion to my legs and didn't have anymore bites, so I'd say I'm a believer. Didn't smell like a DEET chemical dump, either, fairly pleasant. I'll probably just fill a 5ml eye dropper bottle for backpacking. Good stuff as far as I can tell.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 10.5'
    Tarp
    Anything Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Answered my own question...YES it is refillable. It pops off like a contact solution bottle, nice and tight. I'm guessing the seal could wear out over time, but at least a dozen refills or more seems reasonable.

I didn't try this stuff outdoors yet, but I sprayed it on my skin to test it. Almost no smell which is nice, but it leaves your skin feeling rubbery. I guess that's better than a lot of others which feel oily.
    Last edited by OneClick; 06-06-2016 at 10:02.

Hammock
    DIY Hex70XL
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Incubatr/Fl.Jacket
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I've used Sawyers Picaridin exclusively for the last 4 years, including buggy spring trips to Quetico. I am a big fan. Works well for us... And doesn't ruin your gear like DEET will.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Images
    I have a collection of mini spray bottles, dropper bottles and other containers I've picked up on Amazon to use for stuff like this.
    I usually have some 20% Picaridin with me as well as some sort of natural repellent and I treat the gear with permethrin.

Remember, DEET/Picaridin basically give the insects a stuffy nose so they can't smell you, but they don't actually "repel" anything. I couple that with the natural stuff which actually helps to drive the insects away.

I've yet to find anything that drives the black flies away in Grayson Highlands, but they never bite anyway.

Last year I bought some "Amazon lights insense sticks" that I can nest inside my hiking poles. They have stellar reviews, but I've yet to try them out.

Hammock
    12' robic 1.7
    Tarp
    silpoly/cf3
    Insulation
    EE tq/uq 10*
    Suspension
    not steel cables
    There is a few things that are misunderstood about deet and picaridin. One being 100 percent deet isn't giving you MORE coverage but LONGER coverage. Also, lotion applications will perform LONGER than a spray on. As some have noted, permethrin on the clothes and hammock (it is even safe to apply directly to pets) and deet or picaridin on the skin will give you pretty good coverage all around. Picaridin doesn't seem to have much of a smell to me and drys really quick... I am a fan!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    FYI - Here's the report for those interested:
    http://www.consumerreports.org/insec...-against-zika/

The gnats have been bad in my area. Gnats tend to go to the highest point of your body, so I spray deet on my hat which seems to keep them at bay. Has anyone tried picaridin on their hat for gnat control?
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast