Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs

Sawyer Picaridin

I know many of you have switched from DEET to picaridin. I have used the 15% stuff with mixed results, but the 20% seems to work much better. It smells pretty good and won't melt your gear. I just noticed that my local ****'s Sporting goods has big spray bottles of Sawyer 20% Picaridin. Thought I would pass the info along, since the 20% stuff was tough to find last summer. I plan on picking up a bottle or two and hopefully will not have to pick off ticks this year. (note: This is for body and clothing, not really to treat hammocks. For that I stick to permethrin)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    I know many of you have switched from DEET to picaridin. I have used the 15% stuff with mixed results, but the 20% seems to work much better. It smells pretty good and won't melt your gear. I just noticed that my local ****'s Sporting goods has big spray bottles of Sawyer 20% Picaridin. Thought I would pass the info along, since the 20% stuff was tough to find last summer. I plan on picking up a bottle or two and hopefully will not have to pick off ticks this year. (note: This is for body and clothing, not really to treat hammocks. For that I stick to permethrin)
    Thanks for the tip. Last year I also bought very small containers of 20% at WM. Perfect for shorter UL trips. So far this year have not seen them, but probably can be ordered from Sawyers.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Last year I also bought very small containers of 20% at WM. Perfect for shorter UL trips. So far this year have not seen them, but probably can be ordered from Sawyers.
    Yeah, I bought a 1 oz. bottle of Natrapel brand 20% that is perfect for ul and shorter trips. It is available at REI. http://www.rei.com/product/800712/na...ellent-1-fl-oz

The ****'s website says the Sawyer 20% is 4oz http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=12911314,
    which I think is the biggest Sawyer makes, according to their website. http://www.sawyer.com/bugs.html

(I swear it looked bigger on the shelf. I will go back and check it out)

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I used a 2 ounce bottle up in two days on the PCT, in the notorious Mt Thielsen area. It works ok, but not as good as deet, but since I don't use deet, Picardin may be the next best thing. It loses its effectiveness within minutes, but I'm talking crazy mosquito numbers here, as in my dog completely covered with them. It did help though, on me and the dog.

Hammock
    wb blackbird
    Tarp
    12 foot cuben
    Insulation
    phoenix undr quilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    The sawyer picaridin has a little known bonus. It repels noseeums. Deet repels mosquitoes but noseeums require fly repellent. Deep woods OFF also contains a fly repellent if you can't find the Sawyers. The beach camping around here is deadly at dawn and dusk for noseeums. The east coast is worse noseeums hunt all night there.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribou Bentspoke View Post
    I used a 2 ounce bottle up in two days on the PCT, in the notorious Mt Thielsen area. It works ok, but not as good as deet, but since I don't use deet, Picardin may be the next best thing. It loses its effectiveness within minutes, but I'm talking crazy mosquito numbers here, as in my dog completely covered with them. It did help though, on me and the dog.
    Wow, within minutes? That is so opposite my experience with 15-20% Picaridin, which is mostly in MS and AL wet/swampy areas plus around the lakes in the Sawtooth area of ID. What % did you use?

I find it - if anything - superior to DEET, ( though maybe not as long lasting? )- and have had it last for at least hours. But now admittedly, for the most part, I use it in combination with Permethrin treated clothing, and maybe that makes the difference. I do know one time ( actually two times) while testing, I headed out with just the Permethrin treated clothing, nothing on my exposed skin- with a short sleeve shirt. Just ha the little 20% Picaridin .5 oz container in my pocket. As soon as I got near a wet area, a mossy landed on my arm. I sprayed on a little and saw no more bugs for that day hike. So the clothing does not accomplish 100%, but it no doubt helps.

But the combo has been, for me, bombproof. And actually superior to any DEET I ever tried. I used to really put the DEET on all over, including my head neck area, and they wouldn't bite but they would still incessantly buzz/whine in near my ears, and hover near me in general. With the Pic/Perm combo, I never see or hear the miserable devils.

In fact, I have now successfully ( as in no bites and no mossy whining in my ears ) slept out several nights- right next to lakes and intersections of small creeks/rivers - with no bug net of any kind. Just treated clothing and Picaridin on skin, and maybe treated hammock. The only thing was it was hard to get over my paranoia, afraid the Picaridin would wear off during the night. But no bites. So maybe the mossies went to bed when I did, or it worked.

Maybe the breed of mossies make a dif?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-26-2012 at 08:47.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'll be testing out the Sawyer Permethrin clothing/hammock treatment option not this weekend, but the following one.

Never tried it before, and we normally just LIGHTLY use DEET when we go out, and it's entirely common for me to find several ticks on me when I get home after a weekend out.

I hung up and treated two hammocks, two shirts, two pants, a pair of wool socks and a hat yesterday with the Permethrin. Zero smell once it was dried...looking forward to see how well it works on our trip out, and see how much of a difference it makes.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Custom 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY quilt/pads
    Suspension
    Straps/ Dutch
    My local SC REI carries the Natrapel 3.5 oz. bottle with 20% pacardin for $6.95
    Hope this helps when I go out in a few weeks.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I never use DEET. Always Natrapel picardin 20% plus all my clothes and hammock are treated with permethrin.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Old thread, but anyone know where I can get the little 0.5oz bottle of the Sawyer Picaridin locally? Buying it online is cheap but shipping costs make it a bit silly to do so.

I'm going to try Dicks Sporting Goods today. I didn't see it at Meijer. I also have a Walmart and Target nearby to try.

Nevermind, I just checked online and they show it in stock, ready for pickup! I want to get a few bottles since it has a 10-year shelf life and I won't have to worry about wasting it if I don't use it much.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast