Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ENO Hot Spot Pad Enhancer - Initial Review

ENO Hot Spot Pad Enhancer - Initial Review

This is an initial overview of the ENO Hot Spot Pad Extender. I have not taken it out overnight, so these are just initial impressions. I bought it because I’d like to make a pad extender and thought I could learn a lot from its construction.

ENO’s Hot Spot Pad Enhancer promises to “add year-round comfort to your hammock and pad combo; eliminate cold spots around hips and shoulders; and keep (your sleeping) pad centered below you where it belongs.”

Materials & Specs:
    210D Nylon construction
    Stretch panels to grip all thickness of sleeping pads
    6 mm EVA Foam wings (~1/4 in. of padding)
    Accommodates 20” sleeping pads

Measurements taken by me:
    Wings (2) are 6.5 inches wide x 17 in. long
    8.9 ounces
    The pocket for the sleeping pad is quite large and can probably fit pads wider than 20”

My basic set up for the pad enhancer:
    DIY hammock, 1.1 ripstop nylon with dyneema whoopie slings
    POE Thermo 6 sleeping pad, regular. About 72 inches long, 2.5 inches thick when fully inflated, and 20 inches wide.
    I am ~ 6 ft. 1” tall, weight: 165
    I like to sleep (1) with my knees bent to the side of the hammock or (2) on my side.

Construction:
    Very nicely made. No weaknesses in stitching or construction that I noticed. Between the wings is a “wedge” of webbing material that keep the wings linked but allow for flexibility so the pads will not buckle .

Comfort:
    I found the Hot Spot to be comfortable, barely noticing it was there while in the hammock. No uncomfortable ridges or buckling of material. When I shifted around in the hammock the pad and Hotspot stayed together and moved back and easily in the hammock without feeling slippery.

Warmth:
    I don’t know yet. However, the EVA foam is 1/4 thick so this leads me to believe that this item will be best in warm to mild/cool temperatures, but not in colder temps. Everyone is different but I’m a bit of a cold sleeper so I’d be reluctant to use this below 50 degrees. But I will do my best to try this out and report back on warmth.

Ease of Set up / Use:
    The pad folds up nicely and the sleeping pad easily fit inside the Hot Spot’s body. I simply inflated the pad (POE Ether Thermo 6) slid the pad into the Hot Spot and then placed everything in the hammock. I got in and adjusted the positioning very easily and let some air out of the sleeping pad for comfort.

Performance:
    Again, this is just an initial reaction for trying out the ENO Hot Spot in my set up. I have not spent the night on one…

When lying on top of the ENO Hot Spot, the webbing allows for the wings to fold together and overlap one another so there are no gaps between the wings.

The products says it will keep your “hips and shoulders” warm. I found the coverage for those areas adequate. But directly below your hips, the coverage stops.

My two cents follows below…

I like this item, but do not love it. Again, I bought it to try it out and to learn from its construction on how to make my own according to my needs. It does everything it says it will do, though it’s claim for colder temperatures is probably a bit of an exaggeration.

I admire the construction and how the webbing between the wings folds nicely and the wings then meet up so there are no gaps between upper and lower wings.

The coverage, for me, is not quite adequate for my lower body. It covers from shoulders to hips. For shorter hangers it will cover farther down. But for someone like me who sleeps with his legs bent, my thighs and knees were completely exposed to the hammock body and the cold air. In the third picture, the wing ends right at the edge of my shorts, so with my knee bent, my leg and knee have no coverage at all. I would want something wider for my legs, something akin to the SPE 4x4 style, probably. This is no fault of the product, but there aren’t any options for users, either—this works for you or it doesn’t and there are no other models to choose from.

It can be folded up and used as part of a virtual frame in a frameless pack, but if its shape does not work for your packing style there’s not much you can do. It only folds up so small due to the pads being stitched into the wings.

Who will like this item?
    • People new to hammocks who find underquilts expensive and want to use their pads when transitioning from ground sleeping to the hammock life.
    • People who want to try an SPE-type item but do not have the time or skills to create a DIY version.
    • Those who do not want to spend money on an underquilt or find underquilt set ups difficult or annoying.
    • Hangers who want another insulation option for trips that will definitely involve some ground dwelling.
    • People who want be able to get going by grabbing a piece of gear out of a box and get outdoors.

Who will not like this item?
    • Cold weather hangers. The EVA foam is thin and will not, by itself, keep most folks warm at lower temperatures, in my opinion.
    • People who like flexibility with their set ups. The wing pads s are stitched into the wings and can’t be swapped out for warmer/cooler options, unless you’re prepared to do some fairly intrusive modifications.
    • Lightweight hangers/gram weenies. It weighs 9 oz and uses 210 D nylon. Lighter materials can be used (but may not last as long—so there is a trade off). Also, most lightweight guys would want to use the wing pads in a “multi-use” fashion.
    • DIY enthusiasts . If you have some skills, you’ll probably be happier making your own.
    • Gram weenies. Due to lack of multi-use options and heavier materials, this item would probably be considered heavy at 9 oz.

About me:
    It’s important to know where I’m coming from in my opinions on this piece of equipment. Everyone is different and if your perspective differs from mine, you may have totally different conclusions than mine. So take this for what is—one guy’s opinion on a subject.

I am pretty new to hammock camping with only about a year’s worth of experience. I’ve used CCF pads and underquilts to stay warm. I try to go as light as possible with my gear without sacrificing too much comfort because ofold leg injuries. So I do put a premium on pack weight. If I seem to dwell too much on weight at least you know where I’m coming from—it’s important to me.

I am very interested in a product like this because I have some plans to do some thru hikes that will allow me to hang during only a portion of the trip. Therefore, I need a set up that I can easily go to the ground with few adjustments , which includes integrating a sleeping pad into my set up. I do not shy away from basic DIY projects, but I do not have the skill for complicated projects. This product will certainly save you the hassle of making your own pad extender, but if you are not thrilled with this item exactly as it comes and you have some sewing skills, then make your own. You will be happier.

I hope you found this helpful.

SoCal Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Follow up on Hot Spot

Follow up…

I had the ENO Hot Spot out last night in temperatures around 48* F. I thought it performed well. When I kept the Hot Spot under my shoulders, I was warm. I was cold a bit last night but I contribute that to slipping off of the pad or the Hot Spot moving as I was shifting around (I just acquired a bridge hammock and have to work out the kinks in my set up. I kept gravitating toward the foot end of my hammock which caused all sorts of slipping—but I don’t attribute that to the ENO Hot Spot). Most of the cold spots I felt were directly underneath me, which indicates the pad was not providing as much warmth as I needed. I have a great pad, but to make it comfortable I have to let some air out and a pad will lose quite a bit of its insulation value when you let the air out, so I’ve been told.

Overall, I think this is a very well constructed item. I think the materials can take a beating and still not fall apart. I’m a bit of a “thrasher” when I sleep so it’s a good thing this is made of heavy-duty materials. It was a little tricky adjusting the ENO Hot Spot while in the hammock, but that is probably true for any sort of SPE-like item. I would like the wings to be a bit wider to offer additional coverage, but it’s a pretty decent product for something out-of-the-box and ready to go.

SoCal Mike

I saw these at REI a few weeks ago. Thanks for posting about your experience with it.

Hammock
    Knotty design, 1.5 oz stretch side
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Images
    I have made a couple of these and would like to also see its construction. Is there a chance we could see more pictures? Id really like to see the back side and the stretchy parts. Always looking for a better mouse trap. Thanks
    - Gary -

"Nice Pen, I Bet It Writes Some Really Nice Stories"

Pics of ENO Hot Spot Pad Enhancer

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBunk View Post
    I have made a couple of these and would like to also see its construction. Is there a chance we could see more pictures? Id really like to see the back side and the stretchy parts. Always looking for a better mouse trap. Thanks
    Gary, here are some more pics. The mesh "wedge" between the wings is triangular in shape and measures: 7 in x 7 in x 3. The body is made of the same material, just different colors. So, those black panels don't necessarily add any function to the product. The wings have a nice round curve instead of straight lines--kind of a nice touch. I hope these give you some ideas for your own design.

Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Knotty design, 1.5 oz stretch side
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Images
    Thanks, you mentioned some elastic or stretch panels? Is it just a tube so to speak? It looks like one a made a while back. Thanks
    - Gary -

"Nice Pen, I Bet It Writes Some Really Nice Stories"

Stretch panels

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBunk View Post
    Thanks, you mentioned some elastic or stretch panels? Is it just a tube so to speak? It looks like one a made a while back. Thanks
    Yes, it's really just a tube with the wings attached.

Sorry, you're right. The product description by ENO (not me) does mention "Stretch Panels." The black material (each panel is 5 in. x 34 in. and runs the length of the "tube") is a little bit stretchy. When I first looked at it, it appeared to simply be black nylon. There is VERY little stretch in this material. It's sort of like dense spandex. It is used on the outside panels of the "tube" next to the wings. I believe the intent is to allow a larger size pad and/or to provide some "give" as you lay down on the pad and Pad Enhancer. But I don't think it's necessary since the tube easily accommodates a fairly wide pad (20 in pads will have plenty of room).

SoCal Mike
    Last edited by SoCal Mike; 05-08-2012 at 15:21. Reason: Update on description of product

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Thank you. A thorough and informative report.

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Will it work with a ccf pad?

ENO and CCF pad

Quote Originally Posted by toddhunter View Post
    Will it work with a ccf pad?
    I don't see why not. With a thinner pad there may be some bagginess in the "tube" body of the ENO, but I don't think it would slip around any more than with an inflatable pad. You could always add some silicone to the pad so it grips on to the ENO better. I think it would work just fine with a 20" wide CCF or the wider, 24" pads that a lot of hammock hangers grab at Walmart.

Michael

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast