Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    I am also very interested as my SB is my current go-to hammock. My biggest gripe is the use of sticks as spreader bars. I am usually tired enough after a day of hiking that I wind up not even putting them in a lot of times, or forgetting to do so and then trying to rig them in the dark after my tarp is set. That is no fun at all.

Sweeper
    I ordered a set of spreader bars used on the Clark NX 250 and cut them down to fit the Switchback. I put some plastic caps on the ends...I love them. I carry them in my stake bag and they just barely stick out. It fits right in with the hammock bag.

Miguel

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Thanks for starting this thread. I, too, want a RL to hang things on.

I was noticing the photos and this is the reply I got from Dale when I told him that my spreader bars would sometimes pop out:

<<By center loop I mean the one the net suspension is tied to. You don't want to use that one. >>

I believe all the photos shown here have the spreader bar going through that center loop.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

It's Alive!

I just made my TTTG SB in to a structural ridge line hammock. I feel that a picture is worth a 1000 wood so here it is. I will say the ridge line point where it enters the netting the hole needs to be at least the distance from the stitch point to the suspension or it will pull up the hammock body. The ridge line is long at 100" but very comfy. It works great! Now I can do a ridge line organizer that could hold lots of weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    I just made my TTTG SB in to a structural ridge line hammock. I feel that a picture is worth a 1000 wood so here it is. I will say the ridge line point where it enters the netting the hole needs to be at least the distance from the stitch point to the suspension or it will pull up the hammock body. The ridge line is long at 100" but very comfy. It works great! Now I can do a ridge line organizer that could hold lots of weight.
    Good job
    I never understood T2T's avoidance of a full structural ridgeline. Makes so much more sense than the standard one.

BF

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    SRL's can limit a hammock in certain ways,,

though i suppose they could make it adjustable / detachable, as the SB design intentions change if a SRL is offered stock, esp. with a prescribed length.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Congradulations on a successful mod. Rip you have recognized the reason the SB was not designed with a non adjustable structural ridge line. Not everyone is the same. Some, if not most prefer a bit less sag with the SB, while others prefer more. A fixed, non adjustable ridge line, would limit the adjustability of the hammock. The ability to adjust to conditions would also be compromised.Because of the height of the netting the ridge line would need to be very long. If you were in a situation that forced you into a short hang, where the trees were only slightly longer than your hammock you would have a problem with net sag. Another major reason the hammock was not designed with a structural ridgeline fixed or adjustable, is protection of the integrity of the gear. Shock cord is used to suspend the netting to allow for the widest range of adjustability and to protect the netting in case of catastrophic failure of the suspension. If the suspension were to fail below the attachment point of a ridge line there is a good chance of net damage.For those of you who know what meets your needs and have modified your gear accordingly, that is what makes this so great. Thanks for sharing, John
    Last edited by smithobx; 08-20-2012 at 16:49.
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear: Designer of the Switchback hammock, SB Light Hiker hammock, Light Hiker bedroll, Light Hiker diamond tarp http://stores.tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

re

I didn't mention the mod does have an adjustable ridge line. I just have found 100" was the most comfy and about as tight as I would ever hang it. The ridge line can be made shorter or longer to accommodate different conditions. I Really have not changed how the hammock performs in any way just made it more functional for my needs. The hammock has plenty of netting adjusted long or short, I can't see how a drop could do any damage other than too myself.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    it really is a nice job on the mod! that has been a big request to the SB, as most like what a SRL offers.

with the ground bivy tips recently tapped into by the TTTG guys, an SRL is counter intuitive. and as per all that john says is a reason the SB is my preferred manufactured hammock --( i need to get one, again )

my thoughts, though, are that this mod shows good attention to maintaining the integrity of the hammocks quality. congrats!
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Update, some new ideas

Ok so I wanted a Switchback Lighthiker in 1.9 single layer but for some reason Darby doesn't make it that way. Oh well, I DIY one but 2" longer and 2" wider and changed the ridgeline set up. Its a great hammock no matter who makes it. here are some Photos of the changes I made to the ridgeline and netting There are much like what I did on my Classic Switchback. This Is an easy mod if you have some skills on a sewing machine and want a structural ridgeline on your Switchback.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12