Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

R U tall? Do you use an UQ?

Like I mentioned in another thread, I'm always skeptical about "our stuff will fit you" claims. Those of you who are tall understand, those who fit within the bell curve don't.

If you're in excess of 6'4", what UQ are you using?

In general, what kind of UQ design characteristics are essential?

Thanks for reading.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    What I can recommend doing is contacting any of the companies that make the UQ's and they can even do a custom UQ for you.

I'm 5'9" so I'm not tall, but, let's see if I can help ya out a bit!

Your 6'4", so thats 76 inches (assuming my math is correct), Hammock Gear Incubator is 77 inches long, so 1 inch longer than you!

A Jacks r Better MW4 is 77 inches long, again 1 inch longer than you!

So with either of these (and other full length UQ's) you will be fine as far as coverage goes!

Now you "can" use partial UQ's, as long as you supplement the uncovered area with a pad (most need one in colder temp's)! I find though in warmer temps I don't need a pad under my legs, but I do use one in colder temps!
    Also custom UQ's can be had/made, Adam at HammockGear is usually willing to help with custom order's, not sure on the rest though so you would have to contact them!

Hope this helps???
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

To be clear, I don't want to use a pad. More than likely, the UQ would be used in combination with a Wiggie's mummy style sleeping bag as a TQ when appropriate.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I am 6'4" and have an incubator which is long enough to go just past my head to just past my feet.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsemod View Post
    To be clear, I don't want to use a pad. More than likely, the UQ would be used in combination with a Wiggie's mummy style sleeping bag as a TQ when appropriate.
    And you won't need one with any of the full length models unless you try to go past their ratings. A lot of folks, especially as they have a sit pad or a pad is part of their pack suspension, always have a pad with them anyway. And a bunch of those choose to save UQ weight and bulk by using those pads under their legs when it is cold enough.

And plenty of those people hate pads in hammocks ( Cannibal for ex ), but have no complaints about pads just under their legs. And then how tall you are is not really a factor: just cut the pad long enough for the legs.

But, if you don't want a pad even under your legs/feet, probably any of the full length quilts will be long enough. Especially because many only use them around their shoulders and use a pillow for the rest.

Of course, as a last resort, there is always the 9.5 ft long PeaPod or 10.5 ft long PolarPod!

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    I am the same height and I am planning to go with the HG Incubator once I get the fundage together.

--louis

You most likely "won't" need one, as I stated before the length of the full length UQ's that are made by two of the quilt makers are 1 inch longer than you!

You would only need one if you were to use a partial UQ! Some/many find that they need something under their feet regardless of the length of their UQ in colder temps!

YMMV
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

If it rains, is wind blown rain and ground backsplash onto UQs a problem? Down is useless when wet. Also, unlike polyester batting, it takes a long time to dry. Is it typical to treat UQs for situations like this?

If it rains, is wind blown rain and ground backsplash onto UQs a problem? Down is useless when wet. Also, unlike polyester batting, it takes a long time to dry. Is it typical to treat UQs for situations like this?
    Typically the materials that are used by our cottage makers has a very good DWR, which for the most part will deal with rain splash, and light moisture! Wind Blown rain can be for the most part avoided by proper tarp pitching and site selection! Things can happen and sometimes you are stuck in the worst of storms, in the worst of places, and the unfortunate happens (been there done that waaaayyy too many times) and besides being fully enclosed in a bubble, anything can happen!

There are ways around it though, a weather shield will help protect the underquilt (as well as provide additional warmth), a larger tarp, or even subtle things like using your rain jacket at an end of your hammock, or a rain kilt to block a windy side! There are many things that you can do, but I have found that with proper site selection, and proper tarp pitching I have weathered some "Nasty" storms with only minor dampness!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast