Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Need advice on a Gear Hammock.

I think I like the idea of a Jack's R Better gear hammock but would like some opinions. I did do a "search" resulting in every post that had the words gear and/or hammocks in them...which was just about every thread ever posted!

Those of you who have them....would you recommend them?

I'm also not sure if I should buy the regular or large size....recommendations?

Can they be hung in the rain on their own or do they need to be under a tarp?

How/where do you guys normally hang yours?

That's about all for now but if there are other areas I've forgotten feel free to comment. (both positive and negative)

Thanks, Miguel

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I think I like the idea of a Jack's R Better gear hammock but would like some opinions. I did do a "search" resulting in every post that had the words gear and/or hammocks in them...which was just about every thread ever posted!

Those of you who have them....would you recommend them?

I'm also not sure if I should buy the regular or large size....recommendations?

Can they be hung in the rain on their own or do they need to be under a tarp?

How/where do you guys normally hang yours?

That's about all for now but if there are other areas I've forgotten feel free to comment. (both positive and negative)

Thanks, Miguel
    i hang my gear bags at each end of my awesome tome claytor jungle hammock neo

i dont need no gear hammock

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I have one that I am trying to figure out exactly how it fits in with my setup other than use as pack cover. With your Claytor hammock I think you would need to sew a tab near the center to connect to allow it to work like most of the pics of this setup with the HH's. I believe this is what the JRB modification is to the claytor hammocks they sell. This allows it to run along side your hammock under the tarp at the foot end. I don't think I need a gear hammock because my pack is small with lots of outside mesh pockets and I just hang it on the ridgeline at the footend. I think these work best with the HH's because of the side tieouts.

Images
    If you are concerned about getting the right size, contact the JRB guys. They have really good customer service and would tell you everything you need.

I don't have a gear hammock yet. As I understand it, when you hang it the top is open to the weather. If it is raining and you do not have it under a tarp, it will get wet. If you are making this yourself and hang it up a lot outside of your tarp, you could make a flap or something that goes over the top to keep the rain off.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    i have a couple of Jeff's AIO that I use for gear hammocks. I love the gear hammocks because it keep stuff off the ground, but I do keep it under my tarp. I attch one end the the biner at the head of myy HH and I prop the other end up with a hiking pole, ala slowhike. You can see what I am talking about in this pic:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=27

The Jeff's AIO that I use now needs to be reduced in size to better fit my pack as a rain cover, but otherwise it works great.

Images
    I have a Granite Gear Vapor Trail and use the JRB / Just Jeff Pack Cover / Gear Hammock. Mine is a Large. I hang it like Headchange, AKA Slowhike and keep it under my tarp. Love it. Also used it as a water bag. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    I have the JRB/Just Jeff Gear Hammock. I haven't been able to hang it yet, but am hoping to before I leave in March. I've been wondering, if you don't have a ton of stuff weighing it down, could you pull the shock cord tight as possible, and flip it over (so the opening is facing downward) and hang it that way? Then there would be no chance of water getting into it.

Also, I predict during those hot summer months, I'll be using it as wash basin as suggested by the JRB site. I think this might end up being one of my most useable pieces of gear. I even recommended it to a ground dweller who emailed me last night saying he loved it.

Just FYI, I own the ULA Catalyst and purchased the large size. It's big enough to actually go around my big blue wally world CCF pad that I have hanging on the bottom/back of my pack, AND I love how you can attach this pack cover and KNOW it won't fly off.
    This is my signature.

• + New Posts