Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ
    Suspension
    strap and buckle
    Images

first underquilt decision... for nx-250

Hi again,

I've been doing a ton of reading on underquilts, having come to the conclusion that pads work, but every review seems clear that underquilts are better, easier, warmer, smaller... etc. (I know, some people still use pads, and I will probably for a while yet...)

So having stumbled upon a number of comments about the nx-250 and some issues with hanging a full length underquilt because of the poles and pole pockets, what do you all use/recommend?

Seems like the Z-liner isn't the most popular choice, although I love my pockets...

So... 3/4, 2/3 or full length, what do you find best? And where do you recommend purchasing them? I'm not as concerned about 'pack size' as some, I've been used to carrying a big tent, big self-inflating underpad and a full size rectangular sleeping bag, so I'm already saving a ton of space with my clark nx-250.

Thanks!
    Guyturf

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use a 3/4 from Wilderness Logics. I also have z-liners. I still use them from time to time when I don't care about size and the temp isn't going to fall below freezing. I don't have a problem with the poles. My UQ fits underneath their holders. It's really not that hard to access the pockets with the UQ installed either. Hope that helps. If you don't care about size there are some suggestions here in the Clark forum to make your own z-liners on the cheap.

Well I fell into a uq sort of by accident. I was at Wal-Mart, found a twin size polyester filled comforter on sale for $10. I bought it, folded it in half end to end, my wife sewed it together all around, then added a 11/2" grosgrain along each edge, I added a piece of shock cord to each side, added cord locks to each end of shock cords and it worked. It doesn't come up way high so suspension is very easy. It also has convinced me that with the way the NX250 is made, a uq makes it stay so very warm. I haven't tried it in freezing weather, but in principle, the uq is the way for me to go.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nateseviltwin View Post
    I use a 3/4 from Wilderness Logics. I also have z-liners. I still use them from time to time when I don't care about size and the temp isn't going to fall below freezing. I don't have a problem with the poles. My UQ fits underneath their holders. It's really not that hard to access the pockets with the UQ installed either. Hope that helps. If you don't care about size there are some suggestions here in the Clark forum to make your own z-liners on the cheap.
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have a Clark I haven't really used much. Part of the reason I had originally got it was that the whole point of the pockets was to eliminate the need for pads, underquilts etc, at least I thought so. I'm about ready to try it again, thinking that the reason I couldn't find a comfortable place in it was probably more about me at the time and my knowledge than the hammock. Am I completely off base in that understanding? It might prove important as one of the reasons I was going to give it a try again was for cold weather stuff.

Hammock
    Clark nx-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ
    Suspension
    strap and buckle
    Images
    I've only had one night in my 250 so far, it dropped to around 34f (1 or 2c) and I was really glad I had a pad in the hammock. That being said, the weathershield does an amazing job of keeping you warm in colder temperatures, but something underneath is definitely required if you will be in any lower temperatures. I love my pockets, but at this point I'm looking seriously at an underquilt, as the pad works, but is sometimes awkward in the hammock and has a tendency to move underneath you if you roll around at all.

I think I'm going to get a jarbridge 3/4 underquilt at this point, the price is the cheapest out there for a starter quilt, but I'm still tempted by the new river.

But the pad does work, 3/8" ccf foam and I didn't realize it had gotten cold outside until I woke up in the morning and saw my breath getting out of the hammock

The Z liner seems to be workable, but no-one seems really excited about it from what I have been reading. Its too bad, because I'd probably pay extra for it if it was as good at keeping you warm as it is at keeping the pockets available.

Just my thoughts. Love the nx-250... hung it up in the basement last weekend just to read for a bit.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyturf View Post
    I love my pockets, but at this point I'm looking seriously at an underquilt, as the pad works, but is sometimes awkward in the hammock and has a tendency to move underneath you if you roll around at all.
    So stuffing the pockets to generate insulation isn't functional then? I remember reading someplace someone who stuffed the pockets with leaves, etc, and created insulation, they seemed to be fine with it.

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi
    I have not had an issue with my full length UQ on the nx-250. The poles to push down a tad on the UQ, but that is more of an issue when it is empty. Once you are inside, the poles are actually quite a bit above your body, and are no longer a constraint on getting the UQ up high enough.

You can certainly use the pockets and get good insulation for fall or spring, but I doubt you could get enough for winter, and in any case, finding enough material in the winter would be hard (unless you had a ton of gear with you to stuff with)

I think the pockets are more about taking the time you dont have a UQ from survivable to somewhat comfortable, rather than truly replacing real insulation. Times when many hammockers wouldn't take a UQ at all and maybe be a tad chilly you will have that edge.

I have the zliner, and the UQ, and strongly prefer the UQ.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I too have the Z liner and a HG Incubator Zero deg

UQ, and I prefer the quilt.

As has been noted, the pole socket straps do displace the UQ and make fitting a bit of a challenge. (Note: My 3/4 UQ fits perfectly with no gaps.)

I solved the fit problem with Triangle Thingied from AHE. They re-direct the pull of the UQ shock cord suspension and pull the UQ much higher. Then, if the end / transverse shock cords are pulled tight the UQ will snuggle tight to the hammock.

Some experimenting is required.

Jim

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I tried pillows. They worked. But, they were too bulky and clumsy with inexpensive proof-of concept polyester fill. The sewing machine broke and I wasn't up to that much sewing by hand.

The double stitching for the pockets offers the safe opp for a couple of long strips of thin shock cord or elastic band, readily removable to hold thin HQ climashield pads up against the bed. One comment with the Z-liner pads that matched my experience with firm pads was that the pockets were so roomy the pads fell away from intimate contact with hammock bottom, reducing their effectiveness. The removable elastic bands, which would be easy to install and remove, would remedy that.

On an NX250 the area of the pockets is the same as of a 3/4 UQ. On the NA and NX150 the length is a well short of that, just 36". That makes the big bed models better candidates for pocket-filling solutions.

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post

I solved the fit problem with Triangle Thingied from AHE. They re-direct the pull of the UQ shock cord suspension and pull the UQ much higher. Then, if the end / transverse shock cords are pulled tight the UQ will snuggle tight to the hammock.

Jim
    Where is the "triangle"? I have a set of thingies, but when I try to use them with my full length, it seems the only place that I can get them to "work" is if the traingle is on top of the weathershield in the head/foot area. To not have that be that way, I would have to move way out to the suspension, which is where the UQ would be attached anyway, so I don't see what purpose the thingy is serving at that point.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast