Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Are hammocks lighter than tents?

For myself tent camping is lighter, but the lightweight is off put by the comfort factor. Hammock is a lot more comfortable for me.

My shelter is a MLD Cuben Duomid.

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    For me hammock camping is MUCH lighter than tent camping.

Since I've gotten a bit older, things tend to stiffen, snap and pop to the point that sleeping on the ground is just no longer an option. For a while, an air mattress alone was workable, but when my knees decided to go south, going from ground to standing upright became a painful experience and a collapsible bed frame for the air mattress had to be added and that sucker was anything but light.

Since going to a hammock, I've been able to drop all that mess, plus cut down the size of my sleeping bags which is both a weight and space savings.

Switching to a hammock was just the first step in completely rethinking the way I camp. It may take me a bit longer to setup camp since it's not yet become second nature, but the rewards are well worth the effort.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    For me much lighter. I was a three or four pound Trailwise or Ski hut mountain A frame, and a bunch of heavy but high quality Snowlion Hollowfill synthetic insulation.

My pack was the same one Colin Fletcher used. Trailwise full length external frame. Believe it or not....I still couldn't get everything in my kit on the inside, of that cavernous beast. CCF blue always had to go rolled up and on top. Winter loads usually came in the 50-60 pound range. Usually tried to carry all the water I could.

Hike and learn
    Signature suspended

Michigan Man lost in Northern Virginia...
    Hammock
    DIY "Bed Zeppelin", BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole & Dutch
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    In general, if I were to haul everything needed to be equally as comfortable in a tent as I am in my hammock, then the hammock would be insanely lighter than the tent gear. It is the hammock's comfort, convenience and variety of camping locations that out do the tent any day. If you DIY certain gear, pay for certain ultralight gear and pack it strategically, you could out perform a tent with a hammock setup every time. IMHO...

It's carrying two trees that can make or break which is lighter.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    For me, it depends on how you look at it. I almost exclusively go hiking/camping with my two sons (8 and 11). Before hammocks, I carried a three man tent. If I just consider my hammock, straps and tarp then it is lighter. The rub is that now I have three sets of hammocks, straps and tarps. That scenario is definitely heavier.

I'm preparing to leave for a big hiking trip up in Ansel Adams Wilderness in a few days. These past few months I was absolutely stoked and looking forward to taking my Warbonnet Ridgerunner and all the associated goodies. After consulting some folks and talking to friends, I learned that we'd be camping above the treeline and unfortunately, the chances of me finding a suitable pair of trees to hitch to, whilst also being within earshot of my buddies would be minimal. This was a huge disappointment as now I'll have to resort to bringing my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2, a compact two person tent. At 3 lbs, 10 oz it's light, but I also felt compelled to invest in a worthy sleeping pad--a Big Agnes Q Core Insulator SL, which weighs about a pound--to achieve the approximate level of comfort the Ridgerunner would have provided. As far as pack volume, I'll be saving space and a few ounces with the tent setup, compared to my RR and Spindrift, and/or Cloudburst (I wanted to bring both...just in case of a downpour). Nevertheless, from here on out, if I know I'll be anywhere trees are around, I'm opting to bring a hammock every time. It's just that more versatile and comfortable.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    For me, the hammock is lighter due to lack of money to buy the needed gear for comparison. I have made my own hammock, bugnet, and tarp and making for the family as well. That is a lot cheaper than a wallyworld tent(with that weight) that I would have to buy.

As far as the hammy, that would have to be compared to a sleep system, like a cot or pad for example. Hammock wins hands down. The material for hammock body and straps was about the same price of a ground pad(which has a smaller footprint).

The tent, I don't think I can make, for the same price as a tarp(giving the same size as comparison) and my bugnet, groundcloth to round out the comparison for protection of a tent. (Then, how to compare the running groundwater protection I have in my hammock setup that didn't help me in my tent.)

That is the basics of tent/hammock comparison to me because sleep system is a wash with no money. Just use the same gear with the exception of sleeping in a hammock instead of a cot or pad or the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
    For me, it depends on how you look at it. I almost exclusively go hiking/camping with my two sons (8 and 11). Before hammocks, I carried a three man tent. If I just consider my hammock, straps and tarp then it is lighter. The rub is that now I have three sets of hammocks, straps and tarps. That scenario is definitely heavier.
    Congrats on getting the little ones out. They are about the right age for carrying their own hammock/tarp and maybe water. Adds ~5-8 lbs with a small backpack, shouldn't bother them too much, if at all. They also get the benefit of having their own gear(great motivation and coolness factor) and you don't have the extra weight you described
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    The WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Down UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Double ring
    Common miscomseptions when comparing...

A tarp is not a tent.

A hammock includes the hammock, suspension and stakes, for some models.

A tent should only include stakes, guy lines and poles (unless you use your trekking poles)

A tarp should also be compared to a tent's rainfly.

If the person includes the weight of their tent with the rainfly then include your hammock weight with your tarp.

A top quilt and underquilt vs a sleeping bag and ground pad.

I feel I have everyone beat with my under quilt and top quilt vs the traditional sleeping bag and pad set up.

Some hammocks have a mosquito net built in and some don't. If you don't have one I would include a mosquito net with your hammock set up. Most tent's have them built in so to be fair you should include it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    The WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Down UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Double ring
    I started hammock camping after I laid in one for the first time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast